Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm findig it soo hard to get a job. Iv'e sent off CV's and applied for jobs and im getting nothing! It's really beginning to annoy me, i really need the money and keep looking out for jobs but nothings happening! Is anyone else findign it reallly difficult to get a job at 16? Mots jobs advertised are mianly full time work and never part-time. Has anyone got any suggestions (sp)??

ReputationRep:
    yea, im having exactly the same problem. Got one interview on thursday though.

ReputationRep:
    its not difficult as long as you dont have unrealisitc expectations from what you want in a job - get yourself down to mcdonalds and theyll likely hire you on the spot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eXis)
    yea, im having exactly the same problem. Got one interview on thursday though.
    good luck, atleast you've got as far as an interview!

alot of places still won't hire people till they are 17 or 18, which makes it harder

ReputationRep:
    I didnt find it particularly difficult to find my job even though i'm 16. You just have to fill out as many application forms as possible and try and be as flexible as possible. Good luck!

By Spet/Oct you will find it a lot easier as students go back to uni and stores employ christmas staff

ReputationRep:
    you have no idea how hard it is here. i've applied to 150 different jobs and i cant get one. every single one rejected me. it's rediculous. and the reason i'm not getting a job is rediculous. truely rediculous. it's because i'm born american and therefore will be more "needy" about my hours and pay. i'm learning portuguese so that i can pose as a brazillian, haha, i'm serious. i live in brazillian town so it'd be helpful i guess. but i've applied to places all around the city in every corner no one asked me about foreign language ability. all of my friends who have jobs got them because of their parents being friends with the owner or something. haha my brazillian friends who arent even legal to work have jobs!!!

well...i'm listening to burn it up and i've had it stuck in my head for 2 weeks now...so i'm happy. haha

ReputationRep:
    I was very lucky that I got a job through work experiance in specsavers. I've been working there for 2 months now.

I think you just need to approach loads of companies and see if any want to interview you. As someone said there are loads of vacancies in supermarkets or at macdonalds. That may not be what you want to do. But after 6 months working for them u'l have a great reference and have a better chance of getting a different 'better' job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeR)
    you have no idea how hard it is here. i've applied to 150 different jobs and i cant get one. every single one rejected me. it's rediculous. and the reason i'm not getting a job is rediculous. truely rediculous. it's because i'm born american and therefore will be more "needy" about my hours and pay.
    That's unlikely. Perhaps you should request that the employers that choose to reject you explain fully why they have done so. There may be a recurring reason for their decisions, and if you could rectify this adequately, surely they can have no further objection to your hire. Furthermore, I would imagine, although I am not particularly well-informed as to the discrimination laws at your location, that it is illegal to reject an application predicated on race.

(Original post by JakeR)
    i'm learning portuguese so that i can pose as a brazillian, haha, i'm serious. i live in brazillian town so it'd be helpful i guess. but i've applied to places all around the city in every corner no one asked me about foreign language ability. all of my friends who have jobs got them because of their parents being friends with the owner or something. haha my brazillian friends who arent even legal to work have jobs!!!
    From this mildly incoherent paragraph, it seems that your apparent "foreign language ability" is undervalued by the fact that you are not fluent in Portugeuse, but can still communicate with the 150 proprietors and all of your Brazilian friends, who presumably are all fluent in English. Were a French person to apply for a job in Britain without being able to speak English, they would most likely be rejected, despite their fluency in their mother tongue; hence your inability to speak the official language of Brazil, whilst being fluent in English, would result in your rejection.

Good Luck - you'll need it.

ReputationRep:
    I work at McDonalds, and i'm lovin it.

Haha, ok, i'm not exactly loving it, but remember, flipping burgers is never below you. I'll explain why it's really not such a bad place to work and hopefully people won't spit on the idea of working there, then proceed to moan about having no money.

- Firstly, you will always start with at least £4.25, which will quickly rise to £4.55 then can go as high as £6.
    - Secondly, if you work part time while doing A-Levels before Uni (say 3 shifts a week) you can become a floor manager in about a year. That's real management experiance and will help you a lot on you're CV and uni application.
    - Thirdly, almost everyone who works there will be young, your age, similar interests and most of them at also still at school, so you'll make friends there.
    - Fourthly, you can have as much time off as you like. you can go away for 2 months on a cruise, and come back and get back to working. Just give them a week and a half notice, and ding, you can be gone.
    - In a similar vein, you can work as much or as little as you like. If you want 5 shifts a week, you can, if you only want one, you can. I started doing 4 shifts a week, now i do 2, shorter shifts, since my need for money has decreased.
    - Uniform to die for.

So if you can't find a job, swallow you're pride and go for it! It's really not that bad!

ReputationRep:
    i did consider it after some people did say about it. but i dunno ive still got some aprehension about it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainy_skye)
    I'm findig it soo hard to get a job. Iv'e sent off CV's and applied for jobs and im getting nothing! It's really beginning to annoy me, i really need the money and keep looking out for jobs but nothings happening! Is anyone else findign it reallly difficult to get a job at 16? Mots jobs advertised are mianly full time work and never part-time. Has anyone got any suggestions (sp)??
    I have an IT company and we tend to emply people who send us their CV in hope (i.e. we don't usually advertise) - it shows they are proactive. The last person we hired I just surfed the web looking for people with their own website and CV - it shouldn't hurt to do this I guess.

Also, experience helps - any experience. I wanted to work in IT, but my first jobs were making fences, metal working, and then as a cleaner in a hospital; I think it is better for you to have a naff job than no job.

Charity work (often low or unpaid) is much better on a CV than a blank too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainy_skye)
    i did consider it after some people did say about it. but i dunno ive still got some aprehension about it..
    Ok, ok, here's the winner - I have a McDonalds hat which says "Salad Plus+ I'm Lovin It!" on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)

Haha, ok, i'm not exactly loving it, but remember, flipping burgers is never below you. I'll explain why it's really not such a bad place to work and hopefully people won't spit on the idea of working there, then proceed to moan about having no money.

- Firstly, you will always start with at least £4.25, which will quickly rise to £4.55 then can go as high as £6.
    - Secondly, if you work part time while doing A-Levels before Uni (say 3 shifts a week) you can become a floor manager in about a year. That's real management experiance and will help you a lot on you're CV and uni application.
    - Thirdly, almost everyone who works there will be young, your age, similar interests and most of them at also still at school, so you'll make friends there.
    - Fourthly, you can have as much time off as you like. you can go away for 2 months on a cruise, and come back and get back to working. Just give them a week and a half notice, and ding, you can be gone.
    - In a similar vein, you can work as much or as little as you like. If you want 5 shifts a week, you can, if you only want one, you can. I started doing 4 shifts a week, now i do 2, shorter shifts, since my need for money has decreased.
    - Uniform to die for.

So if you can't find a job, swallow you're pride and go for it! It's really not that bad!
    What - no free burgers?!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, plenty of those too!

ReputationRep:
    Ask in waitrose. seriously, its so amusing going in there, bcoz on every single till someone from my school will be working on it. lol. its the job for 16 year olds.. its like being back at school again in a funny sort of way- you know, everyone being there together again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    That's terrible, really. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to go into finance when I was 16 (2.5 years ago) and I still do, so I went along to Halifax in the city centre and got myself a job through work experience.
    Fair enough it doesn't sound that simple and believe me it isn't, but if you apply yourself, you can achieve more than you ever expected to.
    Though I feel sorry for my collegues, them being between 25-40 and me an 18yr old doing their full-time job as part-time work :p:

**Ask for work exp, leave a good impression, ask for a job then laugh all the way to the bank (And i really did becuase i worked there )

ReputationRep:
    wow, are you the real jonny borell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
    Ask in waitrose. seriously, its so amusing going in there, bcoz on every single till someone from my school will be working on it. lol. its the job for 16 year olds.. its like being back at school again in a funny sort of way- you know, everyone being there together again.
    I see you live in Surrey, which waitrose brnch do you go to :P? I work in a waitrose in Surrey part time, and its true what you say, almost all the weekend workers seem to be about 16-19. (then again my branch is situated just down the road (and an evil hill :P) away from a 6th form college!

ReputationRep:
    what do you do at the bank? do you know what the minimum age is?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.