letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Introducing the Study Help Member of the Month award!

Study Help Member of the Month (SHMoTM) is similar to the Mods' Member of the Month (MMoTM) and aims to reward users for their contributions on the site, specifically in the Study Help section.

Starting this May you will be able to nominate who you think has made a great contribution in the study help section for a given month. Anyone at all can nominate! The winner will be chosen from a short-list by the Study Help mods based on their contributions. Securing the most nominations will not automatically win you the award :nah:

Use this form to make your nominations (restricted to one nomination per person per month):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc...pies=1&do=form

Nominations will be accepted continually. Note however, that you only get one nomination per calender month. If you make more than one nomination (this includes using dupes) then you risk all your nominations becoming invalidated. You cannot nominate yourself or any members of the moderation team.

Importantly, campaigning for nominations in any form is not allowed.

The prize for the award (aside from that warm fuzzy feeling inside!) will be enough TSR credits for one month's subscription to TSR, a £10 Amazon voucher and (hopefully in future) a badge displayed in your profile in recognition of your contributions

A few finer points
  • Members can win this award up to three times a year - maximum of once every four months
  • You do not have to use the credits to buy a subscription
  • Moderators are not eligible for the award

So what else is this thread for? For you to ask questions about the award but please do not to make nominations here

A list of past winners can be found in the TSR wiki here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Month_Winners
danny111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the link you gave tells me i dont have permission to access
letsdothetimewarpagain
Rep:
?
(Original post by danny111)
the link you gave tells me i dont have permission to access
Whoops, I'm jsut setting up that link now, it should be working in a minute or two.
letsdothetimewarpagain
Rep:
?
Should be up and running now
Crazy Paving
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are we allowed to say on here who we've nominated?
Jangrafess
Report 11 years ago
oh man I'm so gonna get this!
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it's just another popularity contest.
Crazy Paving
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by unknownking321)
it's just another popularity contest.
This. The incredibly helpful nobody will never stand a chance against the well known, unhelpful dumb ****. :sad:
letsdothetimewarpagain
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Paving)
This. The incredibly helpful nobody will never stand a chance against the well known, unhelpful dumb ****. :sad:
Nope it's definitely not a popularity contest and part of the reason it was brought in is that study help has a lot of amazingly helpful people who don't get the recognition they deserve, which we want to award people for.

Also, it's best if nominations are kept secret in order to prevent people mass nominating.
Crazy Paving
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
Nope it's definitely not a popularity contest and part of the reason it was brought in is that study help has a lot of amazingly helpful people who don't get the recognition they deserve, which we want to award people for.
Well I hope the nominations are carefully considered and the ones who are obviously just voting for their 'mates' are knocked out.

Good idea though by the way. :yy:
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
This is exactly why we're emphasising that (quoting the first post):
Securing the most nominations will not automatically win you the award
This is not at all about popularity! :nah:
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
'As explained in this thread, starting this May you will be able to nominate who you think has made a great contribution in the Study Help section for a given month.'

I just voted, does this vote count my for May, or do you always collect votes at the end of the month and beginning of next give out the award?

I mean if I voted today (April) does that mean I can vote next month (May)? Just asking because it says starting in May.
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by danny111)
'As explained in this thread, starting this May you will be able to nominate who you think has made a great contribution in the Study Help section for a given month.'

I just voted, does this vote count my for May, or do you always collect votes at the end of the month and beginning of next give out the award?

I mean if I voted today (April) does that mean I can vote next month (May)? Just asking because it says starting in May.
Nominations (not: not votes - it's not a popularity contest ) from now until the end of May count will be considered for the May award. We're having a slightly extended nominations period for the first month to allow people time to notice it, but from then on the award and nominations will be for a single month.
danny111
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
Nominations (not: not votes - it's not a popularity contest ) from now until the end of May count will be considered for the May award. We're having a slightly extended nominations period for the first month to allow people time to notice it, but from then on the award and nominations will be for a single month.
sorry, nominate.

and ok, thanks.
Sparkly-Star
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I love this idea! Some people on here are always ever so helpful and they definitely do deserve to be recognized. :grin:
letsdothetimewarpagain
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sparkly-Star)
I love this idea! Some people on here are always ever so helpful and they definitely do deserve to be recognized. :grin:
Sure are
letsdothetimewarpagain
Rep:
?
Last chance to get your nominations in for this month, otherwise they'll go towards June instead
username202682
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:holmes: I don't know who nominate tbh
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Stricof)
:holmes: I don't know who nominate tbh
You've still got a few weeks to decide before this month's award!
username202682
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
You've still got a few weeks to decide before this month's award!
There is a slight problem with this award in my opinion.
Often the people helping in the help sections will be inconsistent or people will not usually associate certain users for particular help forums. I would argue the busiest forum seen is the maths subforum with active users such as generalebriety helping the ever active subforum. However as I do not enter the maths forum much, I cannot really nominate him (sorry)
But for subforums such as the History one where I get involved a lot, the traffic coming is often very low and the users who post questions often have made under 50 posts and it is possible that they may never use the section again. So the issue is consistency and the fact that many of the subforums just do not get enough attention. But perhaps Im just ranting. I'll end it there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads