The Student Room Group

Is flirting still ok if you have a partner?????

I was wondering if you have a partner but you tend to flirt with other people then are you cheating? I think that even if you have the intention of it going nowhere its not right because the person you're doing it with may not know so. But what about if you parnters ok with it and the person knows it a laugh is it still ok morally? or it it wrong because we all know what frilting leads to, even if both are clear on the fact that its a joke what happens when it goes silent and there's that kiss. Is it right to flirt while in a relationship??????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on how you flirt. i still flirt if I'm dating but I only flirt with guys I know who know its a joke and just enjoy a good flirt I wouldnt lead anyone on to thinking that they stood a chance. I think you are more likely to stay in a relationship if you have space for harmless flirting. If I feel trapped then I look to get out of a relationship so I think harmless flirting is ok being a prick tease isnt.
Reply 2
kissmequick
I was wondering if you have a partner but you tend to flirt with other people then are you cheating? I think that even if you have the intention of it going nowhere its not right because the person you're doing it with may not know so. But what about if you parnters ok with it and the person knows it a laugh is it still ok morally? or it it wrong because we all know what frilting leads to, even if both are clear on the fact that its a joke what happens when it goes silent and there's that kiss. Is it right to flirt while in a relationship??????

its always ok to flirt...as long as they know you are just playing around! :biggrin:
Reply 3
curryADD
its always ok to flirt...as long as they know you are just playing around! :biggrin:

firstly you would say that you're the biggest flirt on this community, secondly what about if the person doesnt know you're joking shouldnt you clarify that, some ppl can take having a "prick tease" as lovely viviki put it but others are a bit crazy and may rape you or just come onto you strongly, i think it's right to clarify unless you know the guy
Reply 4
It all depends on the level of flirting and your intentions. I tend to do alot of harmless flirting, that I'm not even aware of until someone says "oooh your flirting w/ him!" I am really careful as to what I say to other people if I'm in a relationship, because I don't think it's fair to your partner. But if you have no ulterior motives and your not getting into sexual type flirting then I see nothing wrong with it. I'm talking just joking around and teasing abit which alot of people classify as flirting.
Reply 5
viviki
It depends on how you flirt. i still flirt if I'm dating but I only flirt with guys I know who know its a joke and just enjoy a good flirt I wouldnt lead anyone on to thinking that they stood a chance. I think you are more likely to stay in a relationship if you have space for harmless flirting. If I feel trapped then I look to get out of a relationship so I think harmless flirting is ok being a prick tease isnt.

I think thats true its good to flirt in a way its reassuring you know you still have it and its another form of joking around, but you've gotta ask yourself if you feel you have to flirt to keep your relationship going it can't be that good a relationship, he should do it all for you but if you have to flirt he's obviously not satisfying you.
Reply 6
kissmequick
firstly you would say that you're the biggest flirt on this community, secondly what about if the person doesnt know you're joking shouldnt you clarify that, some ppl can take having a "prick tease" as lovely viviki put it but others are a bit crazy and may rape you or just come onto you strongly, i think it's right to clarify unless you know the guy

I stick to flirting with people I know, who know not to take me seriously, as a year ago some moron followed me and my friends out of the bar and tryed to stop me from leaving, and saying that I was going home with him. He said I led him on and gave him the immpression that we were on for the night. Funny thing is the only thing I said to him that was remotely sexual was a cooment about how he handled his stick (ie. pool stick) No idea where he got the rest?
Reply 7
Infinity
I stick to flirting with people I know, who know not to take me seriously, as a year ago some moron followed me and my friends out of the bar and tryed to stop me from leaving, and saying that I was going home with him. He said I led him on and gave him the immpression that we were on for the night. Funny thing is the only thing I said to him that was remotely sexual was a cooment about how he handled his stick (ie. pool stick) No idea where he got the rest?

thats the problem there's messed up ppl out there, so there's always an element of danger and surprise to how they will take the joke/flirt and in a way thats a turn on but if it goes wrong the effects can be devastating
Reply 8
kissmequick
thats the problem there's messed up ppl out there, so there's always an element of danger and surprise to how they will take the joke/flirt and in a way thats a turn on but if it goes wrong the effects can be devastating

Right. It taught me a lesson, on the drive home I just kept thinking what if I had left alone. There were 5 of us all together so he just ranted about it, if I had been by myself he may have tried something. I just don't get how he even got the idea in his head, he made the first comment as well something about the way I was touching the cue ball, go figure.
Reply 9
Infinity
Right. It taught me a lesson, on the drive home I just kept thinking what if I had left alone. There were 5 of us all together so he just ranted about it, if I had been by myself he may have tried something. I just don't get how he even got the idea in his head, he made the first comment as well something about the way I was touching the cue ball, go figure.

That is actually kinda creepy.
Reply 10
the guidelines when flirting in a relationship:

1. ALWAYS flirt with your partner more.
2. No touching now!
3. Take the free drinks, but be sure to offer a couple to your partner if he/she is there too.
4. Time management! Flirting's fun, but hurtful if you do it too much. Spend more time making eye contact with your someone rather than that something across the room.
5. When gettin' jiggy on the dance floor beware of roaming hands, dance in a group of 4 or more, never one on one with the person you've been flirting with.
6. if you're a girl, flirt with another girl, i'm sure your blokey won't mind then :wink:

flirting's natural and harmless, it's better to do what you like, if you find yourself flirting lots then it's obviously time to move on. I flirt a lot, but it's always with my boyfriend as i think he's sex on legs. occassional mild flirtation with others is totally fine though.
Reply 11
Infinity

thats the problem the ppl in the world its never really "safe" to flirt on a lot of levels, he could have been a murderer or just have an over active imagination and just generally horny lol. but some ppl et turned on by that whole thrill. Infinity you never answer my question about whether you were fulfilled in your relationship scroll down and find it? i was awaiting your answer
Reply 12
sorry my bad i asked viviki that
Reply 13
onlywee

2. No touching now!
3. Take the free drinks, but be sure to offer a couple to your partner if he/she is there too.
4. Time management! Flirting's fun, but hurtful if you do it too much. Spend more time making eye contact with your someone rather than that something across the room.
5. When gettin' jiggy on the dance floor beware of roaming hands, dance in a group of 4 or more, never one on one with the person you've been flirting with.
6. if you're a girl, flirt with another girl, i'm sure your blokey won't mind then :wink:

flirting's natural and harmless, it's better to do what you like, if you find yourself flirting lots then it's obviously time to move on. I flirt a lot, but it's always with my boyfriend as i think he's sex on legs. occassional mild flirtation with others is totally fine though.

The rules of flirting from the UKL Flirt of the Year herself!
Reply 14
If you liked like the person, would you really need the urge to flirt?

I flirt as a tease - only as a tease, but i would explain this from the off to my girl, but you can still see the girls get ever so slightly green with envy, all part of the fun though...
Reply 15
onlywee

2. No touching now!

I think thats pretty good guidelines actually :smile: good work. but i know you can flirt with your partner but it looses that novelty coz at the end of the day you know he'll be in your bed lol or at least you hope so! but i mean someone said they didnt think they could have a relationship without having flirting spaces but surely you cant be fully satisfied with yourself and your partner if you feel you "must" flirt. I believe if i still feel i have to flirt my partner obviously cant be my ideal parter i believe there is that perfect girl for me and she'll be the on who afterwards will quech all desires
I flirt without meaning it... But so does my partner so we're both Ok with that:smile:

kissmequick, I LIKE your sig!!
Reply 17
MadNatSci
I flirt without meaning it... But so does my partner so we're both Ok with that:smile:

kissmequick, I LIKE your sig!!

thanks but dont you think that if you both feel you need to flirt that your're not satisfied with onanother
Reply 18
I dont think flirting means that you need something more than your man (or girl) is providing. I think that it is healthy to have a flirt buddy as I call them, who is a good mate that you can flirt with without your partner feeling threatened. If my partner was bothered about it I think I'd tone it down a bit but I wouldnt stop flirting all together. Theres nothing worse than becoming an old married couple in which you see noone else socially other than him, or if you are out just staying seperate and not really interacting with the rest of the group. Then if and when you split with your partner you find that you have become so much a part of a couple that you've lost your own identity and you dont have many friends left.
I flirt without knowing it anyway, and the great thing which turns on your man as onlywee says is to flirt with another girl. My best friend and I are always pretending that we might one day be more than friends (it aint never going to happen) but it gets us a lot of free drinks :biggrin:
The most important thing is to be selective who you flirt with, its not a good idea to be incredibly flirty with someone you've only just met if your not planning on anything happening. i flirt with people I already know and their friends because I'm pretty sure its safe. You need to be careful.
kissmequick
thanks but dont you think that if you both feel you need to flirt that your're not satisfied with onanother

I don't feel the need to do it though. It's genuinely unconscious - I'm really not interested in anyone else!

Latest

Trending

Trending