The Student Room Group

Is History A level necessary for Law?

I want to do this combination of subjects at A level:

English Literature, Classical Civilisation, Geography and French.

However, I'm worried that not having History will hinder my chances of getting into a top uni to study Law. I haven't done History at GCSE so I don't know if I'd do well in it if I did it anyway.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
No. My friend has got in to do Law without History A-level at Bristol.
Reply 3
Your proposed combination is fine. :smile:
Those A-levels are fine, but History is preferred, so I think it would be best to substitute it in Geography's place; not having taken History at GCSE won't be a problem at all, but either way, you're ok with or without it.
Reply 5
No, but it'd help.
LittleMissCurious

However, I'm worried that not having History will hinder my chances of getting into a top uni to study Law. I haven't done History at GCSE so I don't know if I'd do well in it if I did it anyway.

History wouldn't make much of a difference to you because you already have quite an arts based combination- I would actually recommend that you do a scientific based subject/maths instead of classical civ cos it would show that you are well rounded...the top unis want to see that.
Reply 7
It might help but English lit is a subject law schools really like so highly doubt it will be a problem :smile:
I swear down I am gonna smack the next person that tells a prospective a-leveler to pick a science/maths subject to do Law at uni.
Reply 9
kbountra
History wouldn't make much of a difference to you because you already have quite an arts based combination- I would actually recommend that you do a scientific based subject/maths instead of classical civ cos it would show that you are well rounded...the top unis want to see that.

Oh dear, another person saying "do a scientific based subject/maths".
OP, there is no need to do a science/maths for law and to be honest, one science or maths isn't going to be particularly useful on its own. All you need for law is four respected subjects, which the ones the OP has suggested all are. I suppose it shows your good at a wide variety of skills, but if you have a good grade in GCSE maths/science, you can prove you are capable that way :smile:
Reply 10
Killer Bean
Those A-levels are fine, but History is preferred, so I think it would be best to substitute it in Geography's place; not having taken History at GCSE won't be a problem at all, but either way, you're ok with or without it.

kbountra

Shush.
Acromida
Oh dear, another person saying "do a scientific based subject/maths".
OP, there is no need to do a science/maths for law and to be honest, one science or maths isn't going to be particularly useful on its own. All you need for law is four respected subjects, which the ones the OP has suggested all are. I suppose it shows your good at a wide variety of skills, but if you have a good grade in GCSE maths/science, you can prove you are capable that way :smile:

I didn't say the OP has to do a science/maths based subject- it was just a suggestion and still I think that doing for example a level chemistry instead of classical civilisation would be better because it is a more academic respected subject that shows logic and reasoning- skills that are of great use to a lawyer.
Reply 12
Current combination is fine. But, some unis may want to see a broader base, than just arts and social sciences.
For e.g. the LSE would find Economics, French and Maths ideal for any of their courses. You already have E. Lit and Geography; a Language and a social science. You might want to take Maths or a science subject?
However, I must emphasise your current combanition is perfectly alright. All are traditional subjects and will help you in every possible way to get in, provided you do well in them. Its better than taking say History or Maths and doing bad in one of them. You'd have a better chance than me any day, 2 of my subjects are non-traditional. :/
Reply 13
LittleMissCurious

swapping history for classical civilisation is certainly something i'd consider, a lot of top law uni's highly respect a level history and doing it without gcse will be easy, especially if you're confident in presenting a two-sided argument and are strong in both english language and english literature. also history a level is fun!
Hi there. Just to ask can I do LAW which out HISTORY!? and will I be able to do law with these following subjects,Maths lit , English
is sociology considered a non-traditional subject? i'm planning to read law as well and planning to take sociology as one of my subjects
Original post by walry1103
is sociology considered a non-traditional subject? i'm planning to read law as well and planning to take sociology as one of my subjects

You can become a lawyer with sociology
Original post by LittleMissCurious

I don’t believe it’s necessary as long as you do a writing sort of a level ie english or classical civilisation.

Check the university entry requirement as to which a levels are accepted for law :smile:
Original post by RonaldoImmanuel
Hi there. Just to ask can I do LAW which out HISTORY!? and will I be able to do law with these following subjects,Maths lit , English

There are no required A levels. Not doing History is fine.
Original post by walry1103

It is not traditional but it is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest