I need some advice regarding a course change. Watch

Lysdexia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey guys, first of all let me say that rep can be given to anybody who helps me out a bit here, I'm in a decisive mess.

Right, here's the situation: I'm a first year student of Archaeology at York. Since a few weeks into my course I've been having doubts about my degree, so I started a process to transfer to the first year Computer Science course for 2010/11, to keep my options option. Later on, having considered it more carefully, I passed a maths exam which would allow me to transfer to Maths/CompSci (MMath) in October of this year providing I get a 2:1 (which I'm on track for at the minute). I really can't make up my mind what to do. Here are the pros for both, as I see them:

Arch
- I would have already done the first year of this course, so transferring would mean a waste of both a year's knowledge and about £8,000 in various loans. Also, this current year plus an MMath means 5 years at the same place - I may get pretty bored soon enough.
- I have slightly more interest in this than M/CS.
- Next year offers more variety in the course (having had none this year), and some of the modules look very interesting.
- If I want to become a college teacher or a lecturer (which I'm leaning towards at the minute), carrying on with this course wouldn't be a problem (although I'm unsure if I'll be able to teach something like English or History with this degree... I'm fairly certain that I won't want to teach Arch).

M/CS
- The job prospects are much higher than those of Arch, and with the potential of a much greater salary.
- I've always had a talent for Maths especially and enjoyed it, and prefer to have (and do better in) question/answer exams rather than essays and written exams.
- I could still teach with this degree if I wanted to.

Thanks for reading, and your advice is very much appreciated, I'm in a bit of a crisis. :o:
Sweet.Cheeks
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lysdexia)
Hey guys, first of all let me say that rep can be given to anybody who helps me out a bit here, I'm in a decisive mess.

Right, here's the situation: I'm a first year student of Archaeology at York. Since a few weeks into my course I've been having doubts about my degree, so I started a process to transfer to the first year Computer Science course for 2010/11, to keep my options option. Later on, having considered it more carefully, I passed a maths exam which would allow me to transfer to Maths/CompSci (MMath) in October of this year providing I get a 2:1 (which I'm on track for at the minute). I really can't make up my mind what to do. Here are the pros for both, as I see them:

Arch
- I would have already done the first year of this course, so transferring would mean a waste of both a year's knowledge and about £8,000 in various loans. Also, this current year plus an MMath means 5 years at the same place - I may get pretty bored soon enough.
- I have slightly more interest in this than M/CS.
- Next year offers more variety in the course (having had none this year), and some of the modules look very interesting.
- If I want to become a college teacher or a lecturer (which I'm leaning towards at the minute), carrying on with this course wouldn't be a problem (although I'm unsure if I'll be able to teach something like English or History with this degree... I'm fairly certain that I won't want to teach Arch).

M/CS
- The job prospects are much higher than those of Arch, and with the potential of a much greater salary.
- I've always had a talent for Maths especially and enjoyed it, and prefer to have (and do better in) question/answer exams rather than essays and written exams.
- I could still teach with this degree if I wanted to.

Thanks for reading, and your advice is very much appreciated, I'm in a bit of a crisis. :o:
I'm going through the same kind of thing that you are and I fully sympathise with your indecisiveness! Obviously you want to make the right decision because there are only so many times you will be able to change your mind without wasting a huge amount of time.

I've been studying Law for a year and I don't see myself doing it in the future at all so I'm doing a science foundation year with pharmacy that will take me around 5 years - a long time but I believe it's worth it.

Yes there will be extra debt and the risk of being bored BUT in deciding what I should do, I've looked at what will help me to get a good, secure job because that is what is important to me.

What i'm trying to say is, assess what is the most important factor in your life. Are you looking for a well paid job with security? Is that what your life will be based around? If yes, go for Maths/CompSci.
However, if you feel that it is more important in your life to be doing something more interesting and a degree you'll enjoy, stick with Archaeology.

Plus, the extra debt won't matter if you do well in your new course
Lysdexia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
BUMP, still undecided!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads