Turn on thread page Beta

anyone went or going to boarding school? watch

ReputationRep:
    just wondering - what are the good and bad things about going to boarding school? and what would you say are the essential things you need (they may not be on the list the school gives you!)

I'm going to boarding school in 5 days and im so scared!

ReputationRep:
    have a hug, i can imagine the scary factor in that i'm leaving home for the 1st ever (never moved house etc) in september. all my friends went to boarding school and after hating it at 1st if it's like proper school boarding , not so much if it's college style (independent houses etc) but they all said FOOD, BRING FOOD! 2nd music and 3rd lots of photos!
    good luck hope that is of some use, probably isnt sorry!!
    anji

ReputationRep:
    ok...

good luck!

It'll suck like a *****, but you will make the most amazing friends...

p.s. Break every single rule EVER. It will suck less...

ReputationRep:
    i go to a boarding school althought i dont board, (live down the road), our boarding house i s really nice though, cant tell you what you need but i can say that you get school dinner which is usually rough so i would invest in some ration food so you dont die of starvation!

ReputationRep:
    i had a dilemma about going to boarding school, i won a scholarship to one for sixth form and after having a traumatic few weeks decided to stick at the one i was at.. but i'm sure you'll have a great time, probably make closer friends and have more individual attention.. saying that i got put off by the one iwas looking at as there were only about 20 people in the year and preferred more variety to mix with kind of thing

ReputationRep:
    i worked at a boarding school for 6 weeks last summer - at a summer school - the fascilities are amazing, and apparently the teaching amazing too.
    This was a 26'000 a year one though...so just go along and see...

ReputationRep:
    i feel really sorry if you are going to a single sex boarding school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just_Izzy)
    ok...

good luck!

It'll suck like a *****, but you will make the most amazing friends...

p.s. Break every single rule EVER. It will suck less...
    very true, couldn't agree more. Because you're living with the same people, all the time, you get to be really, REALLY close. The friendships you make at boarding school are almost unbreakable.

And yes, break the rules. I don't know where you're going but it's unlikely they'll kick you out and it'll make the experience a hell of a lot more fun.

And single-sex schools aren't THAT bad...I couldn't survive in one, but I know several people who did!

ReputationRep:
    Boarding schools, hmm you either LOVE them or you DETEST them! I love it, you make the bestest friends, becuase you share the same space and you basically live with them.

Take as much as you feel nesecacary to fell homely, but remember, you need to beable to take it home!

I'm entering my 7th year at the boarding school, and i wouldn't changed it at all!

james

ReputationRep:
    ok i'll start stuffing my bag full of food now! its a mixed school - i couldnt survive in a single-sex one! i'm in a mixed house that consists only of 6th formers.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing? Day trip saturday! Yeah. Oh and lots of clotted cream.

ReputationRep:
    but my school sucks in that girls aren't allowed to play footbal! 'girls play hockey and netball' - *said in posh voice*. I have never played any of those sports in my life! But I was goalie for football so maybe i could be goalie for hockey...?

ReputationRep:
    Netball is pants. Ha yeah go for goal. Are you going to a Scottish school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    i feel really sorry if you are going to a single sex boarding school
    the one major drawback

hwoever, being at school all the time has its advantages (waking up late, not having nagging parents around, friends around all the time, lots of opportunity for doing sports and other stuff outside normal school hours etc). plus the teaching and facilities are generally better as bikerx mentioned.

don't break all the rules, just the ones you can get away with without being caught, take it from me, if you have a clean record you will get far more leeway from teachers when in your last couple of years

ReputationRep:
    The essential things you need are:

Sleep

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 27, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.