Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    The way I see it from talking to friends at York and Lancaster, their colleges are basically soley halls of residences, and social functions are more university wide. I hardly think you can say that the college system is artificial, as it developed like this: University College was the first, in the castle, then Hatfield was created, (slaves to the castle), then Cuth's was formed by people who did not want to belong to either college (1888). Chad's and John's were set up as religious institutions shortly afterwards. Thus as you can see the system is hardly artificial, each college was set up with it's own ethos, and aims, and in no way to replicate Oxbridge.
    But from what point in time did the university of Durham come into existence??? So how many undergraduates and graduate students are there in each college (approx)??? Do they each have their own SCR and fellowship???? If so how does this work due to the fact that the colleges are not teaching or research extablishments??

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    But from what point in time did the university of Durham come into existence??? So how many undergraduates and graduate students are there in each college (approx)??? Do they each have their own SCR and fellowship???? If so how does this work due to the fact that the colleges are not teaching or research extablishments??

I think it was around 1850 that the university was founded, but don't quote me on that. All I know is that Cuth's, the third college was established in 1888. Each college varies in size dramatically. Cuths has around 450 undergrads, i'm not sure about the other colleges. Yes each college has its own SCR, and JCR and some also have an MCR made up of post grad students. And it works very well thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Hildabeast - for exact dates and more info have a look at this

ReputationRep:
    basically they were trying to found a university in Durham from the mid 1600's but only got permission from parliament in 1837, when Uni college was founded, then as Han said all the rest followed naturally....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    I think it was around 1850 that the university was founded, but don't quote me on that. All I know is that Cuth's, the third college was established in 1888. Each college varies in size dramatically. Cuths has around 450 undergrads, i'm not sure about the other colleges. Yes each college has its own SCR, and JCR and some also have an MCR made up of post grad students. And it works very well thank you very much.
    Well if St Cuthbert's has 450 undergraduates and is pretty normal, that would mean Durham colleges are considerably bigger than Oxbridge colleges. How many are there??? I take it not as many. Also do you know whether St Mary's has a mixed fellowship or not???

ReputationRep:
    look i dont really know what you mean by fellowship, what is it? and i will be able to tell you.
    Cuths isn't normal as we include in that number most of the mature students and local students, so we are the biggest, the only other college that comes close is Hild- Bede. Most colleges are considerably smaller, Chads is the smallest and although i don't know how many people are there i know it is less than the number of freshers Cuths took in this year!!

i think there are 14 colleges, if you count stockton then 16!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBlue)
    look i dont really know what you mean by fellowship, what is it? and i will be able to tell you.
    Cuths isn't normal as we include in that number most of the mature students and local students, so we are the biggest, the only other college that comes close is Hild- Bede. Most colleges are considerably smaller, Chads is the smallest and although i don't know how many people are there i know it is less than the number of freshers Cuths took in this year!!

i think there are 14 colleges, if you count stockton then 16!
    OK sorry. The fellowship of a college refers to those members of the SCR who hold permanent academic positions there rather than temporary teaching posts. I only womndered because there are two types of women's colleges; those with a single-sex student body and fellowship and those in which the JCR and MCR are single sex but the fellowship is mixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    as well as a matriculation ceremony (in a university building) whichis cross college.
    we had a matriculation ceremony too! it was fun!!! and it was in Durham cathedral which was great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    OK sorry. The fellowship of a college refers to those members of the SCR who hold permanent academic positions there rather than temporary teaching posts. I only womndered because there are two types of women's colleges; those with a single-sex student body and fellowship and those in which the JCR and MCR are single sex but the fellowship is mixed.

To be honest I don't know, but I think that the SCR at Mary's is mixed. You would have to ask someone who's there though for a more accurate answer. On the issue of numbers, Cuths is the largest college, John's and Chads are considerably smaller, with only 100-200 undergrads I think. As Amy said, only Hild Bede comes close to Cuths in size, having the largest number of undergrads, not counting local students. I think there are around 15 colleges in Durham, including the 2 in Stockton, and Ustinov, or Grad Soc. There is also a Catholic Priest Training College apparently! The other 12 are: Cuths, Johns, Chads, Hatfield, Castle (University), Hild Bede, Marys, Aidans, Grey, Trevs, Van Mildert and Collingwood.

ReputationRep:
    chads and johns only had about 60 freshers this year, so they aren't any bigger than oxbridge colleges. i personally withdrew my cambridge application because i fell in love with everything about durham, if you wanna visit let us know and we'll show you a real university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michellef)
    chads and johns only had about 60 freshers this year, so they aren't any bigger than oxbridge colleges. i personally withdrew my cambridge application because i fell in love with everything about durham, if you wanna visit let us know and we'll show you a real university!
    What college are you at? I applied to Johns.. and my application has been received by the department and a college but I have not yet been assigned a college! I'm nervous! This is for law...

ReputationRep:
    i'm at cuth's i love it more than words can explain but anywhere in durham is amazing i've fallen in love with the whole concept to me now anywhere else would be at best mediocre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    What college are you at? I applied to Johns.. and my application has been received by the department and a college but I have not yet been assigned a college! I'm nervous! This is for law...
    I'm Johns too (I'm philosophy, though)! First time I've seen anyone on these forums who's applied there.

ReputationRep:
    AAAAHHHHH I applied to Durham and I think it is my first choice, especially after reading all that...
    but I didn´t have much time for my college decision and chose St. Chads, not knowing it was more religious than others... cause I wouldn´t exactly consider myself as religious!!! ****, I should have applied to a bigger college. Oh I´m stressed now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben2111)
    AAAAHHHHH I applied to Durham and I think it is my first choice, especially after reading all that...
    but I didn´t have much time for my college decision and chose St. Chads, not knowing it was more religious than others... cause I wouldn´t exactly consider myself as religious!!! ****, I should have applied to a bigger college. Oh I´m stressed now.
    Lol yeah i was guna apply to st chads, coz it seems quite nice. But then when i read that it was one of the most religious colleges, i decided to apply to Van Mildert instead. Dont worry tho, im sure its just as fun as every other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenkennykenken)
    Lol yeah i was guna apply to st chads, coz it seems quite nice. But then when i read that it was one of the most religious colleges, i decided to apply to Van Mildert instead. Dont worry tho, im sure its just as fun as every other colleges.
    Thanks for encouragement...
    I just mind that religion thing, not at all cause I´m against religion or anything, but I often don´t get along with religios people. Oh well... maybe I don´t get in anyway...

Ok, I applied to St. Chads without realising how religious it it (I'm not sure how that happened, I spent almost as much time worrying about Durham colleges and I did about Cambridge colleges). I now really want to go to Durham but I'm worried about the college choice.

I'm an athiest and don't think that it would be a good idea for me to go to a college that is very religious. Is St Chad's really that much more religious than the others and does anyone know if it would be possible for me to change colleges?

I've been procrastinating over sending back the UCAS form for over three months now and I think I should probably hurry up and reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie13)
    Ok, I applied to St. Chads without realising how religious it it (I'm not sure how that happened, I spent almost as much time worrying about Durham colleges and I did about Cambridge colleges). I now really want to go to Durham but I'm worried about the college choice.

I'm an athiest and don't think that it would be a good idea for me to go to a college that is very religious. Is St Chad's really that much more religious than the others and does anyone know if it would be possible for me to change colleges?

I've been procrastinating over sending back the UCAS form for over three months now and I think I should probably hurry up and reply.
    It is perfectly possible to change colleges once you are there if you find it is wrong for you.

ReputationRep:
    After reading some of the replies, I feel like I've applied to the wrong college...Trevs...Quite worried.
    Maybe I should defect to another college...Collingwood or Hatfield sound good.

JoKing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoKing)
    After reading some of the replies, I feel like I've applied to the wrong college...Trevs...Quite worried.
    Maybe I should defect to another college...Collingwood or Hatfield sound good.

JoKing.
    Trevs doesn't seem that bad. Not as bad as Hatfield anyway.

Go for The Wood!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.