Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've been struggling with my PS since I go my results. I know I want to study German & Linguistics or German & English but I'm finding it difficult to write equal proportions about each in my statement cause I don't want to seem biased towards either. Is there any suggestions anyone's got??

Also, I only got a C in my German AS (207/300) but it was very close to a B, I am going to be resitting two units but should I mention this in my statement??

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what_a_shambles)
    Right, I've been struggling with my PS since I go my results. I know I want to study German & Linguistics or German & English but I'm finding it difficult to write equal proportions about each in my statement cause I don't want to seem biased towards either. Is there any suggestions anyone's got??

Also, I only got a C in my German AS (207/300) but it was very close to a B, I am going to be resitting two units but should I mention this in my statement??

Thanks for any advice
    Ok this is fairly simple, mention specific languages as little as possible; just talk about you love of language, why you like languages so much and what you could see yourself doing after you graduate with your degree.

Also I know everyone seems to say do you PS first as it takes you the longest and is the hardest, but do it last, after you have chosen all your universities and courses and weight it towards that. E.g. you may have choose 4 German & Linguistics courses and 2 German & English courses, so that will show you that 2/3 of the references to your course should be to Linguistics with maybe a brief statement about English, or vice versa. And remember you only need a paragraph or two about your course, the rest is all about you so it’s quite easily do-able if your careful about it.

And finally say your grade was slightly disappointing and that you know you can improve on it to achieve a better grade, it shows that you are prepared to work harder to achieve a grade you know you are capable of, if you say you are re-sitting all it will sound like is your saying ‘Ill have another stab at it and I’ll see if I can do any better’

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    Ok this is fairly simple, mention specific languages as little as possible; just talk about you love of language, why you like languages so much and what you could see yourself doing after you graduate with your degree....
    Aaah thanks for all that yeah, I've picked 5 German & Linguistics and 1 German & English where I've been assured by the admissions people it's mainly Linguistically based which is good. I've done all my bits and I've got the personal statement on the go it just needs chopping down a lot now, it's like 300 words too long!!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what_a_shambles)
    Aaah thanks for all that yeah, I've picked 5 German & Linguistics and 1 German & English where I've been assured by the admissions people it's mainly Linguistically based which is good. I've done all my bits and I've got the personal statement on the go it just needs chopping down a lot now, it's like 300 words too long!!!

Thanks
    lol, ok, remember you don’t have to mention everything you are currently doing at AS level and any extra curricular activity/course you have done, only the things that are relevant if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    lol, ok, remember you don’t have to mention everything you are currently doing at AS level and any extra curricular activity/course you have done, only the things that are relevant if that helps.
    Aye I'm trying to keep it down to as little as possible it's just kinda difficult!!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.