Turn on thread page Beta

Is a second undergraduate degree worthwhile? watch

ReputationRep:
    My cousin graduated with a 2:2 in Economics from Cambridge and had no trouble finding a good job. He's now a fully qualified accountant earning very good money

ReputationRep:
    Damn straight. Just look at how many people do absolutely fine without any kind of degree at all. Most of the country! So you won't get into a Magic Circle law firm or a top investment bank with a 2:2 - hardly a crying shame, I think people who apply for those are mad anyway. Go get yourself a decent job - there are more than enough out there.

ReputationRep:
    what the poiny of getting another degree, people will look at your oxford degre and won't give a toss about a language degree if you're already fluent adn especially if you go to a place like leeds. It'll jsut seem like a waste of time. Also as language degrees are 4 years are you really prepared to be in higher education till your late 20's and not come out any more qualified. if you're desprate to get another qualifiaction i'm sure with a degre from oxford you could get onto a MA at one of the lesser universites. There are so many people on this board that would love to be in your position, graduating form oxford. Make the most of what you have got and i'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    In the first palce,I think you should do a combined or joint degree instead of studying for a second degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamianHolt)
    I'm considering starting a second undergraduate degree this year. I graduate in mathematics from Oxford in June, at best i'll get a 2.2, so I wouldn't be able to get a job or do a masters degree. Therefore I'm tempted to do an easier degree (like languages) at a good but less prestigious uni (like leeds), so I can get a good 2.1 degree that employers accept, and then get a good job (or a place on a masters course.) It's a few years and a lot of money, but surely this cost and time would be worth it if it meant I could get a good job afterwards rather than just work in a restaurant or something.

I'd appreciate any views or advice from people who know what they're talking about. And does anyone know how much more a second degree costs for a home student? You don't have LEA support, but you're still not an overseas student so I wonder how much you are charged for tuition.
    I'll do a MBA instead.

ReputationRep:
    Horace Rumpole had a 3rd in Law from Oxford but he's still everyone's favourite fictional barrister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Horace Rumpole had a 3rd in Law from Oxford but he's still everyone's favourite fictional barrister.
    lol!!

And look at Inspector Morse, He may well be dead, but Endevour was also an 'Oxford failure'!

(Original post by Fluffy)
    I have a BSc and a DPhil. Am just about to start another undergrad degree in September.

Second degrees can cost you full fees though i.e the same as overseaes students - it's worth contacting theunis you are interested in and find out their stance ont he subject.
    I’m going to undertake a second undergraduate degree this summer. I’ve done a lot of research about the tuition fee costs. I've spoken to my LEA, several universities, government agencies, and other students who are also going to do a second degree. It is true that the full cost of an undergraduate degree is about £8,000. However those UK citizens who study for a second degree only pay the maximum full home fee of £1,150 per year – no matter how many degrees one has a UK citizen will never have to pay the full £8,000 circa for an undergraduate degree. This even applies to those who wish to study medicine for their second undergraduate degree.

When people say that you will have to pay “the full tuition fees” if you are going a second degree, they are referring to the full home rate, not international rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandalf)
    I’m going to undertake a second undergraduate degree this summer. I’ve done a lot of research about the tuition fee costs. I've spoken to my LEA, several universities, government agencies, and other students who are also going to do a second degree. It is true that the full cost of an undergraduate degree is about £8,000. However those UK citizens who study for a second degree only pay the maximum full home fee of £1,150 per year – no matter how many degrees one has a UK citizen will never have to pay the full £8,000 circa for an undergraduate degree. This even applies to those who wish to study medicine for their second undergraduate degree.

When people say that you will have to pay “the full tuition fees” if you are going a second degree, they are referring to the full home rate, not international rate.
    Not necessarily - it really does depend on the course, the uni and the fees involved. I have a graduate friend, Home Counties born and bred, in her 2nd year of Vet Science who has to pay full, full fees.....

(Original post by Fluffy)
    Not necessarily - it really does depend on the course, the uni and the fees involved. I have a graduate friend, Home Counties born and bred, in her 2nd year of Vet Science who has to pay full, full fees.....
    Is the Vet Science course a bachelor's course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gandalf)
    Is the Vet Science course a bachelor's course?
    Yes it is.

Also Sheffield charge their 2nd degree graduates on medicine more than the £1125 pa

ReputationRep:
    The warning about full-cost fees is indeed true. Bristol for instance charge full-cost fees for second undergraduate degrees in the humanities (approx. £8000/year!) also for UK/EU students. There's a tiny remark in the prospectus about this.

Many good universities will accept for you for a masters degree with a 2.2, and with a good result on the masters, good universities will accept you for a PhD. So if you're solely concerned about the 2.2, then a second undergraduate probably isn't worth it. If you are however truly interested in a different subject area, then it might well be worth while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I have 2 undergraduate degrees. Worth it? Depends.

Tell me more you mysterious person! what did you do, and why? what are you doing now and have you any regrets? how much do you weigh? :-)

ReputationRep:
    languages?! easy?!!! what planet are you living on?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    languages?! easy?!!! what planet are you living on?!
    gosh...of course they're easy, something even a child could pick up! You wouldn’t happen to be implying that our dear Damien Holt could possibly struggle with what a wee nipper manages so effortlessly??! Noooow, you try teaching a 4-year-old Econometrics

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.