Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a very limited knowledge on mobiles and I've always had pay as you go so I need help!

Basically I have bought a samsung d500 with an orange sim card on pay as you go. I realise that going to uni and meeting new people will mean using it a lot more often and plus calling home etc so it will probably cost too much...so what is my best plan of action? I need some kind of tariff or contract thing but I don't know how to go about it.

I really like my current phone so is there anyway of keeping it and getting some kind of deal online that gives me minutes/texts for cheaper or something using my current phone?
    or do I have to get a new phone with a contract thingy and sell my current one? (sniff)

I really don't understand all these things and don't know how to go about this...I want my current phone but on some kind of deal where I don't have to shell out so much money and do not have to worry about making longish calls etc.

any help for this dense idiot would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123456)
    I have a very limited knowledge on mobiles and I've always had pay as you go so I need help!

Basically I have bought a samsung d500 with an orange sim card on pay as you go. I realise that going to uni and meeting new people will mean using it a lot more often and plus calling home etc so it will probably cost too much...so what is my best plan of action? I need some kind of tariff or contract thing but I don't know how to go about it.

I really like my current phone so is there anyway of keeping it and getting some kind of deal online that gives me minutes/texts for cheaper or something using my current phone?
    or do I have to get a new phone with a contract thingy and sell my current one? (sniff)

I really don't understand all these things and don't know how to go about this...I want my current phone but on some kind of deal where I don't have to shell out so much money and do not have to worry about making longish calls etc.

any help for this dense idiot would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
    I would've probz gone onto a contract was I staying in the UK-being on Orange this year has cost me a fortune. I switched to easyMobile a month ago and have used less than £5 cred since. 5p texts and 15p/m calls-just what I needed.

BTW I love your username

ReputationRep:
    You can get contract sim-only deals. I noticed O2 did a very good deal, with 1000 text messages and about 600 off peak minutes for £20 a month. Also, they only have a 30 day contract (You don't have to stay with them 12/18 months before you can cancel!)

www.o2.co.uk/ucas

Alternatively though, if you get a different contract, they usually come with free phones. So, if you wanted to keep yours, I suppose you could sell the new phone you got.. I think thats allowed anyway! The only thing to do though, is look on the websites of all the big phone companies, see which tarriff would suit you best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piiiink)
    You can get contract sim-only deals. I noticed O2 did a very good deal, with 1000 text messages and about 600 off peak minutes for £20 a month. Also, they only have a 30 day contract (You don't have to stay with them 12/18 months before you can cancel!)

www.o2.co.uk/ucas

Alternatively though, if you get a different contract, they usually come with free phones. So, if you wanted to keep yours, I suppose you could sell the new phone you got.. I think thats allowed anyway! The only thing to do though, is look on the websites of all the big phone companies, see which tarriff would suit you best.
    I second this! Just switched to the sim only (not tied to a contact!) deal myself, get 1000txts and 200 anytime any network mins= £25 for a month

ReputationRep:
    but £25 a month means £300 a year (i think...) isn't that a bit too much considering my handset cost £200 alone?

is there a cheaper alternative or am I being an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    The one im on is £19 a month for 500 texts and 50 anytime minutes is one O2, this gives you a wide choice of free phones as well. Hopefully mine will be delivered today!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm yeah, I guess it would've been better to think about this before you bought your handset! I got mine for free (Samsung d500 as well) and pay £30 a month for 300 anytime mins and 1000 texts a month. Anyway, it might turn out that you use your phone less at uni - does your university have an internal phone system? When I was at uni we just used msn to discuss going out etc..

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.