The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1) Re-name London "BRYN CITY"
Reply 41
zooropa
That's not what I meant.

By "force" I mean any action which involves aggression against property. So these are things like theft, arson, misappropriation, fraud, burglary, robbery, copyright violations, etc.

...Freeing slaves, perhaps?
Reply 42
Limiting human over-population by permitting each person to have a max of 3 kids.

Edit: hmm 2 or 3..unsure
Reply 43
Weejimmie
...Freeing slaves, perhaps?

What slaves?
Reply 44
Slaves are property. There were people who strongly disapproved of slave-owners being deprived of their legally held property.
Reply 45
What's your point?

No libertarian would advocate slavery.

Technically you are right, but i don't think we could get closer to it than you want without decending into complete chaos.

Would it? Reducing the size and scope of government would create greater liberty.
Reply 46
zooropa

No libertarian would advocate slavery.you mean slaves aren't property and so liable to defence?
Reply 47
Weejimmie
Slaves are property. There were people who strongly disapproved of slave-owners being deprived of their legally held property.

I for one would be most distressed if i were to be relieved of my indispensable pygmy-freak mini-butlers or my faithful hunchback valet.
Reply 48
But slavery is antithetical to libertarian belief because force is used.

I believe anyone can own anything, without using force or fraud against others' person or property whilst owning it.
zooropa

Would it? Reducing the size and scope of government would create greater liberty.

Is it that simple? Surely government requires enough power to sufficiently maintain liberty as a whole? I am mainly referring to your proposed policy to remove ALL restrictions on businesses. Given that corporations only have obligations to their shareholders and not society as a whole, giving them a totally free hand seems somewhat foolish to me.
Reply 50
zooropa
But slavery is antithetical to libertarian belief because force is used.

I believe anyone can own anything, without using force or fraud against others' person or property whilst owning it.

I take it you don't mind if we form a commitee to find out how everyone acquired everything and the amount of past force or fraud used in its acquisition with power to confiscate without compensation anything illegally obtained at any time?
Reply 51
zooropa

As Tonight Mathew said, with the current system, lack of regulation would not be beneficial to the consumer. However I agree to an extent, regulation has gone OTT.

Your government control ideal of 10% seems ambitious. Aside from privatising national health and cutting bureacracy. Where are the other 32% of cuts going to be? Military? National security? Police? Transport? Please don't say anything arbitary like 'cut out waste' though
Reply 52
I take it you don't mind if we form a commitee to find out how everyone acquired everything and the amount of past force or fraud used in its acquisition with power to confiscate without compensation anything illegally obtained at any time?

I do mind.

Aside from privatising national health and cutting bureacracy. Where are the other 32% of cuts going to be? Military? National security? Police? Transport? Please don't say anything arbitary like 'cut out waste' though

I'd privatise everything bar the police, armed forces, roads, money supply and judicial system. That would equate with about 10% of GDP.
Reply 53
Tonight Matthew
Is it that simple? Surely government requires enough power to sufficiently maintain liberty as a whole? I am mainly referring to your proposed policy to remove ALL restrictions on businesses. Given that corporations only have obligations to their shareholders and not society as a whole, giving them a totally free hand seems somewhat foolish to me.

Regulations against business harms businessses. The state is bad for business.
Reply 54
zooropa
I do mind.

So it doesn't matter how people got property; if they have it now it's sacred?
zooropa

You didn't actually reply to my post at all. I am fully aware what the logic behind cutting all regulation on business is, but as I said in my previous post, I very much doubt that it is logic that takes into account the liberty of all, which as a libertarian, you surely value as paramount?
Reply 56
zooropa

True - but government isn't about serving businesses, but about serving people. The state is the people, and without consumers, business would collapse. That is why regulations exist - to protect the consumer, on whom business relies.
Reply 57
zooropa
I've never read his works.

He argues that taxation is wrong because it violates the individual's right to property, and that the state should only exist to:

-protect individuals against theft and fraud,
-ensure it's own security.

All other spending should be done privately.
i shall simply move to australia before im 30 and live in a big 5 bedroomed house for 100k with a couple of fields out the back.
Reply 59
Weejimmie
So it doesn't matter how people got property; if they have it now it's sacred?

I think it's water under the bridge.

Most property owned in Britain today was acquired justly. Few people stole their cars, houses, TV sets, clothing, etc. from others.

Latest

Trending

Trending