Porochaz
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi there decided as I occassionally look on here I can be of some help.

I'm Paul, one of the ordinary executive members on the Heriot Watt Uni's Students Union. Dealing mostly with Equal Oppurtunities although I have experience in pretty much the whole uni.

Anyway if you have any questions about student life in Heriot Watt, please feel free to ask in thread or PM me. Obviously I can't answer "When will I get my offer? or "When will I be told what accomadation I am getting?" but can answer about the student experience in Heriot Watt and what we do within the union. If you have any specific questions about your subject then I may be able to get you in contact with someone, if your chemistry, I should be able to answer myself... (he says)

The HW students union website is here: www.hwusa.org.

Thanks

Paul
-M$ [email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll be applying in the Dubai campus of the heriot-watt university. Is it as good as the one in Edinburgh?
Porochaz
Heh, I should have expected a tough question on the word go. As Im based on the Edinburgh campus, I don't have personal experience of the Dubai campus. The traditional answer would be it depends what you are wanting to do. In regards to subjects, it would depend on what you are studying, I know sports are quite important there and they are currently getting there a student union running there. Our vice president, Murray Hope was there recently and will be able to give you more info on the dubai campus, you will find him easily by going to the union website link above.
sylarfangirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is the internet really as bad as people say on the Union website?
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by -M$ [email protected])
Is it as good as the one in Edinburgh?
The weather will be better.
-M$ [email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
The weather will be better.
I'm used to that weather.
-M$ [email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Porochaz)
Heh, I should have expected a tough question on the word go. As Im based on the Edinburgh campus, I don't have personal experience of the Dubai campus. The traditional answer would be it depends what you are wanting to do. In regards to subjects, it would depend on what you are studying, I know sports are quite important there and they are currently getting there a student union running there. Our vice president, Murray Hope was there recently and will be able to give you more info on the dubai campus, you will find him easily by going to the union website link above.
I've applied for BA in business management.

Thank You very much. I shall see to it.
Porochaz
(Original post by sylarfangirl)
Is the internet really as bad as people say on the Union website?
The internet in the uni itself is an okay speed, I won't say the internet was good in hallsover the past year, simply, it wasn't. We have had major problems sorting it this year but after students complaining and the union campaigning it is now finally sorted and we have moved to a new package, which means the internet is now double the speed at a base rate and can be upgraded to even faster rates. (baserate 2Mbps broadband - can be upgraded to 8 and 16 Mbps) There is also other benifits implimented (like on demand tv service) all of which I believe has now been done and is being used by current students and will definetly be operational when freshers come in September.
Mick876
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In your opinion which is better to be in, Self catering Flats? or Self catering rooms?
gecko88
Report 9 years ago
Entirely depends what sort of person you are. If you like to be in a bit more private secluded setting then flats are quite good for that, halls are better for meeting more people but when it comes down to it your main decision with regards to accommodation is weather to go for catered or not.
Zé Henrique
Report 9 years ago
Can anyone please tell me the difference between Self-Catering Campus Flats and Self Catered Halls?
Mick876
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Halls are single rooms on a corrador. Flats is a flat, which 4-5 people share.

Now i just noticed that my contract starts on the 11th, but freshers is on the 6th. It states i cannot turn up before the 11th, so where do they expect me to sleep? Surely they don't expect me to miss freshers week :s
star_zone
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mick876)
Halls are single rooms on a corrador. Flats is a flat, which 4-5 people share.

Now i just noticed that my contract starts on the 11th, but freshers is on the 6th. It states i cannot turn up before the 11th, so where do they expect me to sleep? Surely they don't expect me to miss freshers week :s
I would e-mail them because my contract starts from the 4th which is when freshers week actually starts.
Porochaz
What star_zone says is correct, you should be able to move in from saturday the 4th at about 2pm (I think).

I think me and gecko(Im going to assume gecko is my exflatmate gecko) prefer catered as thats where we were. The essential difference is that catered are a lot more close knit and its generally a lot easier to meet people but the rooms aren't as nice as the ones in selfcatered. In regards to halls or flats, flats always seemed the best option for me, but thats personal opinion, from what I saw the people within the flats were really a close knit group and had some of the best parties.

The difference between flats and halls is simply that the flat is split off from the main corridor, you get a bathroom and a kitchen/lounge area between the five of you. The halls (depending on what type you go for) is just a long corridor of rooms, with a kitchen shared between 5 of you and a common room type thing for the floor.
089-Carrie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've already asked that question in another thread...but I'm really worried about it. I'm unable to attend the scheduled pre-enrolment meeting. What am I supposed to do?
TheWonderfulWizard
Report 9 years ago
I'm in Lord Home Hall, which was advertised as 'Postgraduate/Later Year' halls. I'm wondering, how many postgrads will be in that hall? I'm worried I might be in with a whole load of students who are in 3rd/4th year and will have no interest in going to Freshers Week which would leave me all alone all week
Gryffprefect
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheWonderfulWizard)
I'm in Lord Home Hall, which was advertised as 'Postgraduate/Later Year' halls. I'm wondering, how many postgrads will be in that hall? I'm worried I might be in with a whole load of students who are in 3rd/4th year and will have no interest in going to Freshers Week which would leave me all alone all week
I really wouldn't worry as there usually tends to be a significantly higher proportion of postgrads in the halls than later year students. And even if you do get a bit unlucky, there are loads of events during freshers week where you are likely to find other postgrads and like-minded people.
tutti87
Report 8 years ago
Hi, I've applied to Heriot Watt to start in sept 2011 studying Information Systems. When I start I will be 24. I have a few questions so I'd be grateful if you could answer them .. What are the halls like? I've seen pictures of one of the rooms (think it was robert bryson) and they looked abit small and bare :s. What is it like for mature students at HW? I've heard some uni's give extra financial help because most mature students are not dependent? Whats freshers week like? I have a medical condition so do you know what uni life is like for students with a condition? Thanks in advance
kslasota
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Where is anyone finding pictures of the rooms? I'm going to apply for self-catered accommodation but I can't find pictures of anything =( can anyone send me links? Unfortunately I can't make it to any open days or applicants days since I'm living abroad at the moment..
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm quite concerned about the transport to Edinburgh centre/the distance from it.

How regular/expensive are the busses from Heriot-Watt to the centre and do you actually feel like a part of the city despite the location?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Edinburgh Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 8 Nov '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads