Turn on thread page Beta

number of conditional offers vs actual places - can someone explain? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I have a question, and i'm hoping somebody can explain.

If say, a university has 50 places for a course, do they make conditional offers to say 150 people (you know, just more than actual places)?
    I mean, what happens if over 50 people make thier offers, would some people not get a place (and how would they decide who)?

It's all very confusing, I thought you just had to get your grades in your offer and youd be sound, and that makes it seem like it's not that safe to be relying on your offers....

ReputationRep:
    Normally, the number of places offered conditionally will be based on the pass rate of the previous year. However, I think they are legally obliged to accept them all; I mean they are all going to be paying students, so it's not exactly a bad thing for a university.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they have to accept everyone who meets the conditions. I have a friend who met her conditions but got rejected because they had offered too many people offers. This is usually only the case with top unis though, in this case it was Warwick.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If too many people met their offer, the uni would try to persuade them all to change to something else or defer. But if they say no, the uni has to accept them.

Then the end of year exams might be harder to get rid of them all.

ReputationRep:
    Universities will always make more conditional offers than they have places, because of several reasons (people will fail to make offers, people will go elsewhere, etc) and they are quite good at estimating how many extra conditionals to make so they get the numbers they want.

If more people make the grades then they are legally obliged to take them, which means they'll be oversubscribed for that year. If quite a lot of people miss their offers slightly the uni can afford to pick and choose and make up the exact numbers it wants.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks guys
    I'm deferring my entry, so hopefully I won't have problems with not being accepted because of too many people....

ReputationRep:
    English at Loughborough was oversubscribed last year, so this year they put up the entrance requirements so not as many people would get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    Normally, the number of places offered conditionally will be based on the pass rate of the previous year. However, I think they are legally obliged to accept them all; I mean they are all going to be paying students, so it's not exactly a bad thing for a university.
    Is that means the uni will not want their place empty, they might take the students who actually did not made the grades in the end of the day,right?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.