Advertising With Pubes Watch

This discussion is closed.
Clueless?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Dolce & Gabanna and Paco Rabanne (pretty mainstream names) have both got advertising campaigns that make use of pubic hair :eek: , do the below adverts appeal to you, and do they make you want to buy from said brand names?

I personally think the first one is fine, every man will have a navel trail, but the second guy may as well take his pants off because he's not hiding much. Won't this scare away more men than it'll attract?

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/8794/dg9xu.jpg
Zurich
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It certainly doesn't encourage me to buy anything from them.

But then the price always did all the chasing away without help from a man's crotch :p:
Clueless?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zurich)
It certainly doesn't encourage me to buy anything from them.

But then the price always did all the chasing away without help from a man's crotch :p:
Well you get what you pay for, in this case a multi-million dollar advertising campaign that flaunts crotches in your face .

I really don't see how this'll appeal to anyone apart from gay (/bisexual) men and they hardly outnumber straight men, where most of the profit must be.
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It almost makes me want to buy it :eek:
trixx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
but i thought gay/bisexual guys made up a large proportion of their customers. I'm sure quite a few of them will appreciate the ad. I'm rather indifferent to it. Could be worse, could have had the models wearing the jeans so low you could see their........Now that would have put me off.
buttons7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no problem with the first one - i think men with some hair look better than baldy shiny-bodied men. but the second one just made me laugh!
Clueless?
Rep:
?
(Original post by buttons7)
no problem with the first one - i think men with some hair look better than baldy shiny-bodied men. but the second one just made me laugh!
But would the second one make us laugh if both guys had their roles reversed so the "hot" one was nearly revealing all :love: :p: ?
Legend22
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It certainly doesnt make me want to buy any of their products, especially if you have to flick through magazines of half naked men before you make your choice.
toiletwall
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I got distracted by the guy not the product :|
Possession
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Omg!! It looks like he's managed to stuff a wig down there!
anjimcflanji
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the original i believe was in america several years back by gucci where the girl had the gucci g waxed in and looked good, the guy was on his knees. it was banned here as the ad ppl thought 'it was degrading to women' i personally thought it was great as did all my female friends .
a couple of my friends got it done!!!
Obviously i dont feel it suitable for billboards / ares where children are ( i take issue with those linx ads of sexy near naked women bent over in cinemas next to charlie n choc posters) but in mags like cosmo vogue why not?
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Clueless?)
But would the second one make us laugh if both guys had their roles reversed so the "hot" one was nearly revealing all :love: :p: ?
although i can see your point, yes, yes it would. it just looks like he's gone to the loo and forgotten to pull his trousers up properly. if it was a video, i'd expect him to look down and go, "ahhhh crap" at any moment.
brokenurservant
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That advert was amazing.... :p:

But yeh, as the product is aimed at men tis a little strange.....

Seeing a woman revealing stuff like that wouldn't entice me to buy clothes from that line...
Cherry Kisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by x-Jo-x)
Omg!! It looks like he's managed to stuff a wig down there!
hahahahahha
veryrandom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Who cares that guy is hot!
Logan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
is his body that makes him hot???
Wayvelength
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trixx)
but i thought gay/bisexual guys made up a large proportion of their customers. I'm sure quite a few of them will appreciate the ad. I'm rather indifferent to it. Could be worse, could have had the models wearing the jeans so low you could see their........Now that would have put me off.
Most guys are just gonna steer clear of it because they think its gay to buy it. Gay men on the other had will probably love it. Its probably aimed at gay men and for women to buy it for their men.

Personally, I think their stuff is too expensive fore me, regardless of who / how its advertised. The whole "you'll be desireable to women" theme actually appeals to me with that particular picture though.
Kura1984
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Somehow, I don't think Dolce and Gabbana were ever aiming at us poor students!
kalibantre
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
men are simple they will buy it cause it smells nice.

women wil buy it for their men because there's a hot guy teasing them and he's 20 feet tall.
WetMyWhistle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I quite literally just did a presentation on that exact advertisement! It was a presentation on how "sex sells" (it was for an advertising/public relations seminar).

If anyone is at all interesting, there's been a study by this researcher, M.S. LaTour, who did a really in-depth, scientifically-based study on "Female nudity, arousal, and ad response." (Journal of Advertising, 19.4 (1990), where the study investigated the arousal feature of certain advertisements, obviously not including the one in the original post, but studied male and female physical and emotional arousal produced by certain images (such as seeing pubes, breasts, the phallus, etc). It's an incredibly interesting study. While some people will suggest that their purchasing behavior is not influenced by such advertisements, the study shows that such influence is unconscious, isolated from the viewer's personal opinion (whether moral or social) on the image. Basically, it's saying that your purchasing behavior is not dependent on whether you approve of such an image being publicly established as a socially approved advertisement but rather your unconscious behavior will rule your purchasing behavior. You should also look into Jean Kilbourne's Killing Us Softly advertisement videos, which are incredibly interesting as well, but more focused on females in advertising.

I'll stop while I'm ahead. Sorry, but I really enjoyed the topic. :p: And I didn't have to wear a suit for this presentation, so it sticks out significantly in my mind.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (850)
80.72%
Leave (203)
19.28%

Watched Threads