Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all how ya doin'
    im going to the uk in 2005 for my degree, but as my school isnt really supportive and british council takes ages to reply to my e-mails & telephones i'd like to ask you a couple things...

what are conditional offers? do those occur when you have like finished the AS level and they offer you a place if you complete the A2 with grades they apply?

do GCSE's matter for UK uni's? I went directly to doing A-Levels as I was in a public school (public schools here don't do GCSE's) so I have no GCSE grades.

Do they consider other degrees and mark schemes? I'm from Cyprus and a few uni's I've seen seem to be positive about my Apolyterion (that graduation report we get as soon as we finish our kind of college). I am a good student my average equals to an A-Level A grade but I'm not sure whether it'll matter for them. I've been told that some uni's take the apolyterion as an a-level if it has a high average grade.

thanx 4 ur help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Hi all how ya doin'

what are conditional offers? do those occur when you have like finished the AS level and they offer you a place if you complete the A2 with grades they apply?

do GCSE's matter for UK uni's? I went directly to doing A-Levels as I was in a public school (public schools here don't do GCSE's) so I have no GCSE grades.

Do they consider other degrees and mark schemes? I'm from Cyprus and a few uni's I've seen seem to be positive about my Apolyterion (that graduation report we get as soon as we finish our kind of college). I am a good student my average equals to an A-Level A grade but I'm not sure whether it'll matter for them. I've been told that some uni's take the apolyterion as an a-level if it has a high average grade.

thanx 4 ur help
    you are correct in regards to conditional offers, they're offers made which depend on you getting certain grades, these will depend on the uni (oxford = AAA usually, uni of east london = a lot lower)

Do GCSEs matter? Well I am sure that unis consider them, but obiously its the AS / alevels which are more important as well as other things like how enthusiastic you seem, whether you've done a lot of extra curricular stuff. I wouldn't worry if you have a legitamite reason for not having done them it shouldnt matter

in regards to the last point i dont know to be honest, never heard of the Apolyterion before now. Does this mean you already have another degree from a cypriot uni?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's the school system in Cyprus. As soon as we finish primary school we go to secondary school for 3 years, and then 3 more years to high school. The third one is like college for u i think, as they prepare us for university entrance exams for cypriot/greek uni's

About the conditional offers now, do they need 3 A-Level's? I'll be taking my final exams this year, and I only have 2 AS passes. I'm interested in Imperial college, so I think I still have the chance to apply..Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    No, it's the school system in Cyprus. As soon as we finish primary school we go to secondary school for 3 years, and then 3 more years to high school. The third one is like college for u i think, as they prepare us for university entrance exams for cypriot/greek uni's

About the conditional offers now, do they need 3 A-Level's? I'll be taking my final exams this year, and I only have 2 AS passes. I'm interested in Imperial college, so I think I still have the chance to apply..Am I right?
    I'm not an expert or anything, but I think that Universities are usually quite understanding about qualifications in different countries. The best thing to do might be to email the admissions tutors at any universities you're interested in and ask specifically whether you have suitable qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)

Do you only take 2 subjects ?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.