Watch
This discussion is closed.
seeker1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi all,

(This sub-forum seemed like the most appropriate one)

When I returned a bunch of books to Waterstones, they asked me for my address and name and stuff. I returned several books on different occasions, so I did this each time.

Why do they do this? I know I should have asked, but I was just worried about getting my money back lol!

Will I get in trouble for buying and returning too many books?
LadyGaGa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I work in a clothes store, but we get people to fill in their details on receipts too. I don't think we actually do anything, and we've never contacted anyone using those details.
I wouldn't worry too much!
Why did you return so many? Sorry, just curious :-)
popple7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nah, all shops do it. ive been told in the past why they do this, but cant remember now. its just to cover the shop's own back though, it has nothing to do with keeping tabs on customers, so dont worry

try not to return things too often though, it will seem suspicious and if they recognise you as a 'serial returner', they may not offer returns in the future. especially if you are reading the books THEN returning them... shame on you, if you are!
GAguy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't give you the exact answer, but I might help anyway
They do this weird thing at many places! Whenever you receive money at western union for example, they ask you for lots of details (obviously to assure you are the person the money should go to) but after they confirmed your identity they ask you for your phone number, address, etc. I only realised this the last time I received money and, like you, forgot to ask them :/ I would like to know this as well.
My guess would be that they use this for marketing purposes.
ChrisG88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I imagine if you keep doing it they'd start to get suspicious lol. Don't tell me you've been reading them and then taking them back?
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Give them a fake address :dontknow:
seeker1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by popple7)
x
(Original post by LadyGaGa)
x
Thanks guys, reassuring lol.

And no, I'm not a serial returner lol and no I don't just buy-read-return!! That's what the library's for lol. If you're interested I actually just bought like EVERY biology textbook they had, took them home, had a look at them, and returned the ones that I didn't think would be useful for me. I don't know if that counts as "reading" but I'm picky about textbooks lol.

Thanks all
haithere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All shops do it. I've personally never been contacted about anything despite doing it fairly frequently.

I think it's just so they've got a record of it. If you pay cash and you don't fill out details, they'll have no way of knowing who you are etc. I think it's just a precaution, for stuff like finding something wrong with the product that you've hidden, or maybe in case of crime, like if you're known to be someone going round a lot of shops doing the same thing, committing fraud or something.
popple7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by seeker1)
Thanks guys, reassuring lol.

And no, I'm not a serial returner lol and no I don't just buy-read-return!! That's what the library's for lol. If you're interested I actually just bought like EVERY biology textbook they had, took them home, had a look at them, and returned the ones that I didn't think would be useful for me. I don't know if that counts as "reading" but I'm picky about textbooks lol.

Thanks all

ahh, good, apologies for accusing you of reading then returning! that's a perfectly fine reason to return books especially textbooks, they cost a lot!

when i worked at waterstones we didnt ask for an address, just name + signature...so i really dont think they do anything with the information, just need it to confirm/acknowledge the customer returned something for the books.
JET2107
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Waterstones are notorious for not honouring their return policy.I took back a brand new perfect conditioned unopened book (brought as a gift but friend already had it) the same week it was purchased for a returnthe staff scrutinised this book and found a tiny mark - I mean about a millimetre long - then claimed I had 'mistreated' the book because I not bought plastic bag (he checked the receipt) and refused me a refundhe told me this was 'good business' - so watch out for them
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by JET2107)
Waterstones are notorious for not honouring their return policy.I took back a brand new perfect conditioned unopened book (brought as a gift but friend already had it) the same week it was purchased for a returnthe staff scrutinised this book and found a tiny mark - I mean about a millimetre long - then claimed I had 'mistreated' the book because I not bought plastic bag (he checked the receipt) and refused me a refundhe told me this was 'good business' - so watch out for them
Are you sure you took the book back the same week? Or did you wait 9 years to take it back, like you took answering this thread?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.27%
I'm not sure (59)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (626)
48.83%

Watched Threads