Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as it's quite slow here at the moment i thought i'd share an interesting fact that i know and anyone else can contribute if they like.

When a shark is pregnant, there are about 20 sharks in the womb, however the mother only gives birth to 1 shark. How is this possible?
    Inside the womb the sharks fight against each other and eat each other, they do this until only 1 shark is left remaining. This shark exits the womb with the "killer instinct."

Sounds harsh and cruel, but what better way to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Seeing as it's quite slow here at the moment i thought i'd share an interesting fact that i know and anyone else can contribute if they like.

When a shark is pregnant, there are about 20 sharks in the womb, however the mother only gives birth to 1 shark. How is this possible?
    Inside the womb the sharks fight against each other and eat each other, they do this until only 1 shark is left remaining. This shark exits the womb with the "killer instinct."

Never knew that. So in the future, if I ever find the need to perform a ceaserian on a shark for whatever reason, I'll think back and remeber this knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

interesting.....the stongest fetus wins

ReputationRep:
    Why is a ScreenSaver called that?

Well, in the olden days, if the same image was displayed on the screen for a prolonged period of time, a 'ghost' would be permanently burnt onto the screen. Therefore, screensavers were introduced that would make the image on the screen constantly change, therefore preventing the damage from being done.

Still, some projectors still give a warning not to leave the same image on for too long as the projector's screen will be damaged.

ReputationRep:
    Why am I called Bhaal85? I dont really know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Why am I called Bhaal85? I dont really know.
    that was intirely random......and ive always wondered about your username! why bhaal85?

ReputationRep:
    Another interesting fact, that i'll let you answer.

Why are there oxygen masks on aeroplanes?

ReputationRep:
    what i want to know is where the concepts that the irish are drunks and the welsh are sheep s****** came from? how come some people choose to define a whole country as a single person?i know its not a fact, i wanted to know what the facts behind it are.

ReputationRep:
    did you get this one from fight club?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    did you get this one from fight club?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    what i want to know is where the concepts that the irish are drunks and the welsh are sheep s****** came from? how come some people choose to define a whole country as a single person?i know its not a fact, i wanted to know what the facts behind it are.

Go onto the streets and bars of London. A disproportionately high number of the drunks you'll find are either irish or scots. But then again, the irish are really fun people to be around, drunk or sober

ReputationRep:
    Go onto the streets and bars of London. A disproportionately high number of the drunks you'll find are either irish or scots. But then again, the irish are really fun people to be around, drunk or sober
    oh right. I have always wanted to know why people say things like "The IRISH are drunks" you cant really generalise it can you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    oh right. I have always wanted to know why people say things like "The IRISH are drunks" you cant really generalise it can you.
    This counts for anything, they're just purely stereotypes. Nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    it really "does me ed in"

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously not ALL irish people are drunks, but some are, and more are (in london anyway) than is proportionate to their numbers. It's not offensive, they just like a drink, that's all.

Just like not all French people eat frogs and snails for dinner; and not all americans are fat dumb rednecks (ok, bad example) but you know what I mean, I am sure the Irish have their sterotypes and generalisations of the English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

But remember, stereotypes dont exist because of prejudices, they exist because somebody noticed a pattern.

ReputationRep:
    okay i got a few animal facts:
    *frogs enjoy threesomes.
    *beavers kiss to show affection.
    *ducks and drakes enojy a promiscuous marrage, thier wives & husbands don't give a f#*k they just go with it.
    *in the case of ducks there have been many accidental drownings. the drake wants some she doesn't, they run round until she jumps in the water to escape and in mouted and accidentally drowned. oops.
    *frogs rape eachother or anything. male frogs have been observed croaking thier mateing call till all hours of the night and at the slightest sight of movement they pounce, they've been seen getting quite friendly with objects of all kinds aroung the yard. if a female eventually appears she is catapulted with a douzen horny males who in the end usually kill her in the fighting frenzy to mate with her.
    weird but yeh true.

ReputationRep:
    But remember, stereotypes dont exist because of prejudices, they exist because somebody noticed a pattern.
    Perhaps there is a pattern, but the point is that the pattern doesn't count for every single person that is being generalised in that group.

ReputationRep:
    lol
    Yes of course, but things like this are fun, nobody should take offence. Out of interest what are some welsh/irish/scots views in the English?

ReputationRep:
    lol
    Yes of course, but things like this are fun, nobody should take offence. Out of interest what are some welsh/irish/scots views in the English?
    The scots generally aren't too fond of the english. Not too sure about the irish view, i don't think the republic of ireland like us very much.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.