This discussion is closed.
CrzySxyCool
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
The scots generally aren't too fond of the english. Not too sure about the irish view, i don't think the republic of ireland like us very much.
From the people who i have spoken to the Irish dont like the English and can just about put up with the Welsh. The scottish and Irish get on really well. English are snown as very rude people in Wales.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Another fact. In america more guns are owned by civilians than the whole army and police forces in america put together. It's scary to think the amount of power that is held in the hands of the many. If they grouped together they could topple the country.
Infinity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Another fact. In america more guns are owned by civilians than the whole army and police forces in america put together. It's scary to think the amount of power that is held in the hands of the many. If they grouped together they could topple the country.
*wishes she lived somewhere else now*
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeh but I'd imagine that the army's guns were more powerful
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
*wishes she lived somewhere else now*
infinity, dont worry, thats the only stalin said was keeping him from invading us....the fact that we all have guns
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by nero076)
Yeh but I'd imagine that the army's guns were more powerful
You say that, but i remember seeing on tarrant on TV they had an NRA meeting. People actually own anti-aeroplane guns, these things fire off 1000+ rounds a minute. It's insane :eek:
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
infinity, dont worry, thats the only stalin said was keeping him from invading us....the fact that we all have guns
Not all of us! *shutters* I hate guns.
SasunD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyways......................... ................................ .........................

Another intersting fact...

There are actually 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds in a year. Which makes it about 365.2422 days in a year. Roughly, there are 365 and a quarter days in a year. We go with 365 days a year for three years and then have one more day on the fourth year to make up for 'lost time'.

As quoted from Nasa's educational website (which i kan't remember off the top of my head).......

Calendar Calculations
The tropical year is the period of time required by the sun to pass from vernal equinox to vernal equinox. It is equal to 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46 seconds, or 365.2422 days. The tropical year is used to keep track of seasons, planting, and harvesting. Let's try to develop a calendar with an integral number of days per calendar year that will keep track of the tropical year and not get out of step with the seasons over time.

We begin with a calendar of 365 days per year. Our calendar year is shorter than the tropical year by 0.2422 days. So to correct (approximately), we add 1 day every four years (leap year). Thus, three calendar years are 365 days long; the fourth calendar year is 366 days long. The average length of the calendar year in days now becomes: (3 x 365 + 366)/4 = 365.25 days.

This calendar system was actually instituted for use in the Roman Empire by Julius Caesar around 46 BC. But since the Julian calendar was 0.0078 days (11 minutes and 14 seconds) longer than the tropical year, errors in timekeeping gradually accumulated. Between 46 BC and 1582 AD, this accumulated error amounted to a total of: 0.0078 x (1582 + 46) = 12.7 days. In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII reformed the calendar by specifying that all years divisible by 4 are to be leap years except for century years, which must be divisible by 400 to be leap years. Now, in 1200 years:

A total of 300 years (including all century years {since any century year = N x 100, where N = an integer}) are divisible by 4, and are therefore candidate leap years.
A total of 900 years are not divisible by 4, and are therefore regular years.
Twelve century years are possible leap years.
But only 3 century years (out of the 12) are divisible by 400 (i.e., {400, 800, 1200}, {1600, 2000, 2400}, etc.), so only 3 century years are actually leap years9 .
Since 12 - 3 = 9, Gregory's rule eliminates 9 leap years out of 1,200. Thus: 300 - 9 = 291 years are actual leap years, and 900 + 9 = 909 years are regular years. The average length of the year becomes (291 x 366 + 909 x 365)/1,200 = 365.2425 days, with an error of 365.2425 - 365.2422 = 0.0003 days per year, or one day every 3,333.3 years.

The Gregorian calendar came into use in Roman Catholic countries in October 1582 when the seasons were brought back into step by eliminating 10 days from the calendar then in use. Thursday, October 4, was followed by Friday, October 15 (which caused some consternation among the populace, especially those with birthdays on the eliminated dates!). Britain and its colonies did not introduce the Gregorian calendar until September 1752 by which time an additional one day correction was required (actually, {1752 - 1582} x 0.0078 = 1.33 day). Some British documents from the period before the British reform actually contain two dates, an old and a new.

<end quote>
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
You say that, but i remember seeing on tarrant on TV they had an NRA meeting. People actually own anti-aeroplane guns, these things fire off 1000+ rounds a minute. It's insane :eek:
Yeah in places like the ghetto, theyre not legally owned.
G4ry
Rep:
?
(Original post by curryADD)
So why didn't he invade England :confused:

I think the reason he didn't invade america was the fact of the atlantic ocean.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hate guns too, and wouldn't want them to be legalised (if this is right term) in the UK. But it would be interesting so how many people would get one if this happened, apart the yardies etc, what percentage of the public would actually get one do you think?
leroylina
Report 15 years ago
according to the guinnes world records book, ireland is the country with the highest consume of alcohol in the world.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Just remembered another fact. The year that we are in is in-correct. it could be up to 100 years out. The years have been calculated by the deaths of emperors 500 years after the death of christ. However, one emperor was not taken into account so we are not really in 2004AD, it could be as late as 2104AD or however much depending on the life span of the emperor.
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hate guns too, and wouldn't want them to be legalised (if this is right term) in the UK. But it would be interesting so how many people would get one if this happened, apart the yardies etc, what percentage of the public would actually get one do you think?
i think say if guns were legalised then 40% of people would get guns right? well then the other 60% would feel unsafe, causing them also to get guns to protect themselves. Thus causing most of the population to have them.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Columbia has the highest kidnapping rate, and those idiots chose to go there with the full knowledge of the danger that they were putting themselves in. The idiots will probably get their own book after them :mad: What sort of a society do we live in? Where we reward idiots and murderers with book contracts?
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeh probably right

having a gun is supposed to make you feel safer, and of course it does if you're the only one who has one - if everybody has one, nobody is safer
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Just remembered another fact. The year that we are in is in-correct. it could be up to 100 years out. The years have been calculated by the deaths of emperors 500 years after the death of christ. However, one emperor was not taken into account so we are not really in 2004AD, it could be as late as 2104AD or however much depending on the life span of the emperor.
Sounds like a line from the matrix, lol.
nero076
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Columbia has the highest kidnapping rate, and those idiots chose to go there with the full knowledge of the danger that they were putting themselves in. The idiots will probably get their own book after them :mad: What sort of a society do we live in? Where we reward idiots and murderers with book contracts?

yeh I think similar things when I see news stories about some posh rich english twat who thinks he is being brave by trying to sail across the pacific in a rubber dingy, only to have the Australian Navy come out and rescue him at a cost of millions to their taxpayers...these people are supposed to "epitomise" the english adventurour spirit?
CrzySxyCool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeh probably right

having a gun is supposed to make you feel safer, and of course it does if you're the only one who has one - if everybody has one, nobody is safer
i think this would only happen in a small country like england or wales though. In America there may be more guns but thats because theres more people. Well thats obvious anyway so i dont know why the hell i wrote that! *
G4ry
Rep:
?
yeh I think similar things when I see news stories about some posh rich english twat who thinks he is being brave by trying to sail across the pacific in a rubber dingy, only to have the Australian Navy come out and rescue him at a cost of millions to their taxpayers...these people are supposed to "epitomise" the english adventurour spirit?
I could rant about that stupid royal family and that sophie of wessex and her scandal of her "late" ambulance. But i think i'll save it for some other time.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (166)
70.94%
No I haven't decided yet (40)
17.09%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
11.97%

Watched Threads