Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    yeh probably right

having a gun is supposed to make you feel safer, and of course it does if you're the only one who has one - if everybody has one, nobody is safer
    This is not really true, if you think about nuclear weapons. If one country has them, then they are a threat to everyone. If you give all countries nuclear weapons there will be no threat, because if one country fires a nuclear bomb, then the other will retaliate and fire back nuclear weapons. This happened in the cold war, and at our current situation in the world today, it is probably best to just leave the weapons as they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    This is not really true, if you think about nuclear weapons. If one country has them, then they are a threat to everyone. If you give all countries nuclear weapons there will be no threat, because if one country fires a nuclear bomb, then the other will retaliate and fire back nuclear weapons. This happened in the cold war, and at our current situation in the world today, it is probably best to just leave the weapons as they are.
    yes but having a gun is different to having a nuclear weapon. Nuclear weapons cause mass destruction wheras guns kill only a few people. Dont get me wrong though, 1 person is too much to die from a gun.

ReputationRep:
    Getting back to interesting facts.

It is commonly known that the Giraffe is the tallest animal in the world, sometimes reaching a height in excess of 18 feet. Along with it's length neck, the giraffe has a very long tongue -- more than a foot and a half long. A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue! Giraffes are the only animals born with horns. Both males and females are born with bony knobs on the forehead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    But remember, stereotypes dont exist because of prejudices, they exist because somebody noticed a pattern.
    a lot of times they exist because someone is being too critical

ie. rich people don't want to be poor, and those who fear being poor criticise the poor and look for an excuse to never be it, or to hate it, simply because they don't want to be it

mostly materialism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    yes but having a gun is different to having a nuclear weapon. Nuclear weapons cause mass destruction wheras guns kill only a few people. Dont get me wrong though, 1 person is too much to die from a gun.
    Precisely. The situation of 'mutually assured destruction' which was achieved during the cold war only came about because each side knew they could be completely annihilated by the other. There is no assurance of complete annihilation when it comes to firearms.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Here's a bunch more:

The human heart creates enough pressure while pumping to squirt blood 30 feet.

On average people fear spiders more than they do death.

The strongest muscle in the body is the TONGUE.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Americans on the average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

Did you know that you are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider?

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do. (I better make up for the 9 years i'm going to lose )

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump. ( thankfully !!)

A cat's urine glows under a black light.

ReputationRep:
    People who own guns because they think there "cool" are just sad, or own a gun for no particuler reason actually. Anyone can own a gun and shoot it. It takes courage to use your fists.

ReputationRep:
    People who own guns because they think there "cool" are just sad, or own a gun for no particuler reason actually. Anyone can own a gun and shoot it. It takes courage to use your fists.
    Have you shot someone? It's very difficult to look someone in the eye and shoot them, it's not easy. It's not easy either to fire a gun, people have training for it. Guns are also a lot heavier than you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Have you shot someone? It's very difficult to look someone in the eye and shoot them, it's not easy. It's not easy either to fire a gun, people have training for it. Guns are also a lot heavier than you think.
    That was a quote from "Gone in sixty secounds" well it was as near to a quote as i could remember x

ReputationRep:
    That was a quote from "Gone in sixty secounds" well it was as near to a quote as i could remember x
    As far as i know, it isn't, i haven't even seen the film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    That doesn't make them respectable. They are still deadly weapons which can kill instantly, and are regularly abused and used in crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I'm pretty thankful I've never seen a gun, never had to see one.. and S.E. Asia does not have a rep for firearm possession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    As far as i know, it isn't, i haven't even seen the film.
    yes it is. The black guy is in the car park and someone gets a gun out on him. If you havnt seem the film why criticise me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    That doesn't make them respectable. They are still deadly weapons which can kill instantly, and are regularly abused and used in crimes.

Most times guns are used in crime, the person in possession has little intent on using it, they just want money - not to kill someone. Guns don't kill, people kill.

ReputationRep:
    yes it is. The black guy is in the car park and someone gets a gun out on him. If you havnt seem the film why criticise me?
    I criticise you, because i gave you my opinion and you try and be-little it by saying that i took my opinion from some rubbish re-make of a film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Guns don't kill, people kill.
    thats what i say, but the person behind the gun shouldnt be there in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I criticise you, because i gave you my opinion and you try and be-little it by saying that i took my opinion from some rubbish re-make of a film.
    MY QUOTE! was from the movie which i said that anyone can take a un out on someon! hehe! (",) now i guess why you said "i havnt even seen the film, and i didnt " or something like that!

ReputationRep:
    thats what i say, but the person behind the gun shouldnt be there in the first place
    Whose fault is that? It's the fault of society that encourages us to be materialistic and greedy. Especially american society where they like to give as much freedom to people and don't have a great welfare system. So the poor either have to steal or die. It's for survival.

ReputationRep:
    MY QUOTE! was from the movie which i said that anyone can take a un out on someon! hehe! (",) now i guess why you said "i havnt even seen the film, and i didnt " or something like that!
    If you didn't click the reply button on my post there wouldn't have been this confusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Whose fault is that? It's the fault of society that encourages us to be materialistic and greedy. Especially american society where they like to give as much freedom to people and don't have a great welfare system. So the poor either have to steal or die. It's for survival.
    um no nobody can make you do something that you dont want to do. Well i can see where your coming from, but all were going to do is argue about it so we better stop or we'll end up arguing! (",)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.