Turn on thread page Beta

student accommodation on on ground floor? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I lived on the ground floor last year which was annoying because i had to remember to close my window everything i went out, and kept my curtains closed a lot of the time. But i was at the back of the halls complex and there were security guards with alsatians constantly patrolling so i felt quite safe. There was a swipe card to get into my block, then a key to get into my flat, and another key to get into my room so it was definetely secure. I did get insurance from Saxon last year, they were the cheapest quote i got which covered everything, but luckily i didn't need it.

Good luck!
    Sounds like a prison, not a university :p: , oh sorry, you're at Southampton :p: !

ReputationRep:
    My friend was on the ground floor last year and she never had any probs, apart from the guy next to her knocking on her window when he got locked out Just be sensible and dont leave your computer on the windowsil (!) also your uni wil prob have security wandering around through night and day! The only sucking thing is if youre at the front, you might get woken up by people walking past early in the morning!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm surprising
    A lot of the unis tend to have male-only ground for accomodation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    i visited another uni residence there, and they used swipe cards i think to enter the main building, and then a key for their own room. Im sure things wil be alright its just the room i would have been least likely to pick!
    In a way its gonna be alright cos im more visible to others walking past, so on the first day it mite be easier to meet new people
    Was that Victoria Hall? Don't worry the ground floor windows don't open wide at Taly (you need to unscrew the mechanism to do that) and Cardiff should have offered you Endsleigh insurance with your accom offer. Entry is Taly is one key for the front door and the same key for your flat and room door. Only the private accom has posh swipecards.

ReputationRep:
    I thought fresher girls in general were kept off the ground floor nationwide? Certainly at my uni we've been sent some regulations that say that female freshers are not going to be given ground floor rooms .
    Yeah..it is often the case, though thankfully it wasnt at Warwick or Selwyn!

ReputationRep:
    Nor at Clare - and one girl woke up to see a guy half in and half out of her window, with her laptop under his arm :eek:

She had left the window open though, as it was baking hot, but not an experience I'd like.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I dont mean to make a fuss out of nothing, but ive just received my accommodation offer, and my room is gonna be on the ground floor!
    Im worried this makes it a potential easy target for burglars, cos of course im gonna be having a brand new laptop and other stuff in my room which I would like to keep
    Is security at uni quite good or will I have to invest in better window locks etc.
    In a way its a good choice of room cos in a fire i will be able to escape quite easily, and if I get locked out its easier to get back in again
    but aside from these perks im quite disappointed in my new residence!
    I was on the ground floor last year as well. I think that as long as you have insurance, and you make sure you close the window when you are not in the room you will be fine! I always used to draw the curtains when I was out as well so they can't see if anyone is in the room or not (and also can't see your prize winning laptop on the desk ).

Most burglars are opportunists and so by not making it easy for them, it is unlikely they will bother at all. You can also get those stickers to say everything in your room is marked by a UV pen....that is good just because it shows to any potential burglar that you are security-aware.

From what I hear, most of the break-ins at my uni have been where students have just left the window open, or their doors to flat and room open :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clueless?)
    I thought fresher girls in general were kept off the ground floor nationwide? Certainly at my uni we've been sent some regulations that say that female freshers are not going to be given ground floor rooms . Still as long as you stay safe then there shouldn't be a problem, just don't leave your window open overnight, its like a neon sign for any burglars/rapists :eek: !
    The fact that other unis dont allow females on the ground floor is worrying me!! Why does my uni let me go on the ground floor then :eek:
    Im a bit annoyed cos what if im hot in the night and wanna open my window?! Anyway, im not too worried cos apparently the windows dont open very far.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that other unis dont allow females on the ground floor is worrying me!! Why does my uni let me go on the ground floor then :eek:
    Im a bit annoyed cos what if im hot in the night and wanna open my window?! Anyway, im not too worried cos apparently the windows dont open very far.
    I think unis that don't put girls on the ground floor are now in the minority. Campuses are in general secure (Taly certainly is) and the policy seems to me a little outdated.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be worried , didn't mean to scare you. If your uni puts you on the ground floor then they must know that its safe enough to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the bottom floor too, not too worried though, the accommodation should be secure enough. Also makes moving in easier, not too far to go and not upstairs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debs)
    I'm on the bottom floor too, not too worried though, the accommodation should be secure enough. Also makes moving in easier, not too far to go and not upstairs
    Yeah, you sure feel sorry for all the other people who are lugging their **** upstairs. Saying that I helped them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on floor 1 for my uni so does that mean I'm on the second floor up or on the ground floor? There are 6 to a block and I am room 7 so is it possible that the first 6 will be the ground floor and I will be the first room on the next floor up? I hope I am!

ReputationRep:
    could always lock things away in those special cases and then chain it to something...maybe lol

ReputationRep:
    another reason unis might not want girls on the ground floor is for peeping toms peeping at certain moments. With boys its not too bad because unless they are right in front of the window and look down, they can't see anything.

ReputationRep:
    I was in Ground Floor. The only bit that sucked - vomit on window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    I was in Ground Floor. The only bit that sucked - vomit on window.
    Yuck! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I hope i dont get any peeping toms or vomit on the window :puke: ewww... anyway Im sure it will be fine cos i looked at a map of the houses in my rsidence and it seems my house is not slap bang in the middle where every1 walks past

ReputationRep:
    Being on the ground floor doesn't matter at all. Theres no need to take out insurance as the halls themselves will have insurance (although for example if you get broken into, the insurance will only pay out if the doors are locked) Halls of residences have wardens and security guards, as well as CCTV in order to stop unwanted people getting into the halls and potentially going on a crime spree. At my halls last year, the public could walk through a centre court yard (it is quite hard to explain what i mean), so the windows on the ground floor were surrounded by fences that no one would attempt to climb. Trust me, being on the ground floor won't be that bad- i was on the third floor, and there wasn't a lift! Enjoy being on the ground floor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    I have a pack of those JML Sonic Alarms..if I am on the ground floor I am planning to put two on my window (extra loudness) but I am going to have a plastic storage box (not a clearless one) for the valueables and put one on that too.

They are currently half price - 4 for £5 worth it!

what on earth is clearless?! :P:

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.