Claud
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm hoping to study criminology or a joing honours with psychology at university, but i'm stuck for any work experience that would relate to those courses and be worthwhile. Any ideas very much appreciated.
ito725
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hard to say, thing of anything that is even remotely related to, any thing that requires paying attention to detail, or solving problems. Math, hunting would fit in here for example. im sure you can come up with better example as its you life but it wont be as easy as say business.
Minnie152
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
You could try doing some social work experience with a charity or maybe in a criminal court.
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends what you want to do afterwards. So for example if you want to work within the police, get some experience working in the community with individuals or groups of people. There are some criminology students that come in here, hopefully they can help more
manwithaplan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try some of these places: Citizens Advice Bureau, Work Experience or Volenteering with The Police (according to my sociology teacher they employ quite a few criminologists), Shadowing a Judge or Barrister, Prison Service, Probation service.

These are off the top of my head but, check out this website for career advice, it might help - http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_criminology/Job_options/p!eXecmac
BlueBanana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Claud)
I'm hoping to study criminology or a joing honours with psychology at university, but i'm stuck for any work experience that would relate to those courses and be worthwhile. Any ideas very much appreciated.
Watch some court cases
Shadow a barrister - Relate to Psychology research
Work experience in a SEN school, and couple this with research in your PS about criminals with learning disabilities

That's just a couple examples for you
lyrical_lie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Visit a prison? Originally when I was going to do pharmacy -not now- I went to a uni during the summer holidays and they showed me about and let me work with the Phd students
Claud
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks a lot best start making some phonecalls.
Your help is very much appreciated!
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just ask at your local criminologist's place.
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 9 years ago
I am currently doing voluntary work in my local Crown Court . . basically I provide support to families, ie if their family member gets sent down, I can help them understand the system and etc. I absolutely love it. I also did work experience in a Youth Court . . . students aren't even allowed to do this but because I am classed as ''mature'' I got in . .with much pleading to the magistrates! I was also due to do work experience with the local CPS team, but I had too much uni work built up so I had to cancel. Absolutely gutted as I had waited a year for that placement . . but work comes first! I have also been into my local prison . . that was an interesting experience.

Basically .. . .try and fathom out your interest . . whatever that is try and get some work experience . . . It'll look ace on your CV and it's so interesting.

Hope that helps.
DJ AgnieszkaA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
consider criminal activities - first hand experience.
theft? arson?
alsutton
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Claud)
Hi, a friend of mine also studies psychology with criminology, she works for the NSPCC, replying to emails of young people who contact the NSPCC for help. She enjoys her placement and theyre flexable. not sure how she got into it, but if its a placement you think you would be intrested in ill ask her for you.
itsb3th98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Claud)
Hi Claud

I know this was 5 years ago, but im in your shoes now..
I'm thinking of starting Uni, 2018 entry, doing Criminology/Psychology Combined Honours and was wondering, did you find experience related? And if so, what experience?

Also, if you went through with this course, how did you find it?

Nice to talk anyhow
Beth
lucemusgrave
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
just wondering how you managed to apply for this placement role?Kind Regards, Lucie
nessalien
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DancinBallerina)
I am currently doing voluntary work in my local Crown Court . . basically I provide support to families, ie if their family member gets sent down, I can help them understand the system and etc. I absolutely love it. I also did work experience in a Youth Court . . . students aren't even allowed to do this but because I am classed as ''mature'' I got in . .with much pleading to the magistrates! I was also due to do work experience with the local CPS team, but I had too much uni work built up so I had to cancel. Absolutely gutted as I had waited a year for that placement . . but work comes first! I have also been into my local prison . . that was an interesting experience.

Basically .. . .try and fathom out your interest . . whatever that is try and get some work experience . . . It'll look ace on your CV and it's so interesting.

Hope that helps.
Hello, not sure if you will reply to this since its been 7 years. However I'm trying to look for work experience for Yr 11. I'm interested to hear what your work experience was like in the Youth Court and how you managed to get work experience there.
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm aware that this is a late response, but I'm in Year 12 and I've been offered a 5 day work experience placement at the Magistrate's Court in Birmingham, but there was a fairly tedious application to complete along with two references etc.
Linz8573
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi ... My daughter is taking a gap year and wondering what to do before starting criminology next SEP .. Did you find anything out .? Linsey x
Alicea88
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How did you get to do these placement? Who did you contact? Thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (227)
67.56%
No (109)
32.44%

Watched Threads