Turn on thread page Beta

why does every word have a vowel in it and.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving = RHYTHM, thats the only thing I learnt in my English class.
    lol.....something always indirectly relates back to erm....what his name again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Like I said before, it's probably to do with pronounciation. I have also wondered why you use 'an' instead of 'a' before some words which begin with 'h'.

Eg. 'an hour' sounds more correct than 'a hour'. Well, that's what I think anyways lol.
    Because you don't pronounce the 'h' I suppose. It's said just like 'our' so the rule doesn't apply.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Like I said before, it's probably to do with pronounciation. I have also wondered why you use 'an' instead of 'a' before some words which begin with 'h'.

Eg. 'an hour' sounds more correct than 'a hour'. Well, that's what I think anyways lol.
    I was taught that all words beginning with an H are supposed to be preceeded by an not a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I was taught that all words beginning with an H are supposed to be preceeded by an not a.
    But you don't say 'an house', 'an horse', 'an harbour' etc
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Egan1)
    No - but I was taught that you are supposed to. I hardly ever use the rule in speaking but it's something that comes autoatically when I'm typing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    i say a horse! i think it may have something to do with in some languages the h's are silent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving = RHYTHM
    Wise words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovecjs)
    Wise words.
    From a wise man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Perhaps every word in the English language. But not in others.

Which others don't? The only other languages I speak at all are Irish, which does have a vowel in every word, and further thatn that differentiates between broad and slender vowels which must always agree in a word, and Spanish, which also has vowels in every word as far as I know, feel free to correct me. Spanish also places much more emphasis on vowels than we do. Some linguists even predict that through natural evolution it could drop consonants altogether ( I know it sounds crazy but it's what I heard). I think French has vowels in every word too?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about here, as you've probably noticed.

ReputationRep:
    there are some lamnguages, notoriously slavic ones, that have words with no vowels in. "Strc prst skrz krk" is Czech for "put your fingers through your throat", and Krk is an island in Croatia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving = RHYTHM, thats the only thing I learnt in my English class.
    Rhyme Helps Your Mouth Exercise = RHYME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    In History exams, they always say 'Which source would be more useful to an historian'.

Though if you're posh you're supposed to drop your 'aitches, aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    there are some lamnguages, notoriously slavic ones, that have words with no vowels in. "Strc prst skrz krk" is Czech for "put your fingers through your throat", and Krk is an island in Croatia.
    How do they pronounce it? Do they have to learn which vowel sound to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    How do they pronounce it? Do they have to learn which vowel sound to say?
    don't ask me, i just plagiarised from another website.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.