Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've had enough of backing my side alone! is it just me or are privately educated people spoonfed opportunities?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatergirlannie)
    spoonfed opportunities?!
    Lol.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    I've had enough of backing my side alone! is it just me or are privately educated people spoonfed opportunities?!
    Surely, it depends what private schools you are talking about here. I'd suspect you're more likely to be "spoonfed" at one costing £25,000 a year than one costing £8000 a year. I resent the implications that I've been "spoonfed" by going to a private school, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Surely, it depends what private schools you are talking about here. I'd suspect you're more likely to be "spoonfed" at one costing £25,000 a year than one costing £8000 a year. I resent the implications that I've been "spoonfed" by going to a private school, anyway.
    I'd've thought the opposite will be true. A truly outstanding school will have the ability to do more than spoon-feed. A cheaper one, with a lower quality of staff, will have to resort to such simplistic and ultimately counter-productive methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I'd've thought the opposite will be true. A truly outstanding school will have the ability to do more than spoon-feed. A cheaper one, with a lower quality of staff, will have to resort to such simplistic and ultimately counter-productive methods.
    What about the Eton Prince Harry scandal?

ReputationRep:
    Depends.

Privately educated kids tend to do worse at uni than state-educated. Perhaps because they're used to more tutoring or somesuch?

Anyway, unless you want to be a politician or a banker, where you went to school doesn't matter that much.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid poll. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You still have to beat off 40 other people for a place in the top private colleges, which is hard considering they aren't just looking at academics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What a stupid poll. :rolleyes:
    Judging by Annie's last 30 posts, though, criticising private education is the only thing she wants to 'debate' about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent p......?)
    You still have to beat off 40 other people for a place in the top private colleges, which is hard considering they aren't just looking at academics.
    Exactly. The queue for my school is huge (I skipped it because I did extremely well in the entrance test, though ).

ReputationRep:
    Well I think we can safely conclude that private schools are clearly the way forward for all - enough of this rubbish about spoonfeeding! Time to move on!

ReputationRep:
    Like what opportunities?
    Opportunities to do sport, co-curriculur stuff, etc, should only be expected, considering the amount of money forked out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the majority of privately educated pupils are any more deserving than state school pupils. It is not fair to demonise people who did attend private school though as whilst I don't believe in private education, parents try to act in the children's best interest and some may believe private is better. You can not help being born with money anymore than you can help being born poor. However, I do think some pupils are spoon fed by some private schools and get ahead unfairly. But, it is not the individuals fault most of the time, it is the system.

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or are privately educated people spoonfed opportunities?!
    On rereading your post, does this mean that you went to private school and you were spoonfed? If so, I think it was just you. I don't know anybody with problems using knifes and forks.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends went to state school and has just learnt to boil an egg (im can see il be the cook at uni!) so I think its more what your encouraged to do at home with regards to how self-sufficient you are than where you went to school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    One of my friends went to state school and has just learnt to boil an egg
    Damn. At private school, they only show you how to make toast.

ReputationRep:
    For good (read expensive) schools there is no doubt about this. Statistics about relative pass rates at university seem to confirm this too. Essentially top private schools have better teachers and better educational resources than most state schools. Parents purchase better opportunities when they buy this form of education for their children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    On rereading your post, does this mean that you went to private school and you were spoonfed? If so, I think it was just you. I don't know anybody with problems using knifes and forks.
    I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't able to use knife and fork, and I am of the belief that she worships Satan. But no, I haven't come across any of that either.

ReputationRep:
    dont like them cos some ppl who go there think theyr superior just cos theyr richer
    but i wudnt mind goin 2 one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxXmowgliXxX)
    dont like them cos some ppl who go there think theyr superior just cos theyr richer
    but i wudnt mind goin 2 one
    Thanks for that

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.