Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Fair enough, I couldn't be arsed to read that far back in the thread! Education begins at home and the domestic environment/parents are a MASSIVE part of it.

But as you say, they made damn sure it was the best comp in the city - if that kind of school is available, you'd have to be crazy to spend silly money on private school (some of which are no better than many state). It also makes it much easier to take the moral high-ground. If the local schools were properly sh*t as several are, i wonder if their choice/views would have been the same?
    hehe hence my my dead mother went as pink as the salmon she's cooking! i dont think she would have sent me to a crappy comp if that was all available.but as you and i say, parents are a massive part of it.and so, as long as they push their kids to do well, then there is no need to waste cash, even if the comps they would have to send their children to were crud. but as people say on here, it is all about choice.but remember, there are benefits to be gained going to a comp, as i have said earlier.

i reckon that the big problem we have is with the parents.only when a new generation comes through can we hope to improve levels of literaacy n general good education. i also believe that school is not for everyone- it is a system that people are forced into, and so rebellion from a lot of people is to be expected.if we were all extremely intelligent, with top quals, who would man the tills at tesco, sweep the streets, collect the bins? society at the moment is ok, and there are enough highly qualified people to keep the country running smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    why cant i call you spoonfed helenia? a moditor erased my comment when i did! you lot can't handle the truth? and i'm not being inflammatory! you lot have an inflamed ego.. all by yourselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatergirlannie)
    why cant i call you spoonfed helenia? a moditor erased my comment when i did! you lot can't handle the truth? and i'm not being inflammatory! you lot have an inflamed ego.. all by yourselves!
    Hey, we all have our views. Look I agree with them being spoonfed, but when you try to debate something try and have some logic. You'll be doing me a favour by also kind of backing up what I say. I just think your saying it because your so far fully biased that you have not looked at what it truley is like the other way around. Other people are also thinking this.
    I'm not having a go, I just think if you feel your so strongly right, then you should be able to put into words a decent sentence why.

Edit: (49 - 38) We can't be that wrong!

ReputationRep:
    So much wrong with that post!

The fact is, you don't know what the truth is. You have no experience of private secondary schooling, so how on earth can you know whether Helenia has been 'spoon fed' or not? Is it what you've seen on TV? Is it what you've been told by friends? Its second hand information in either case, and until you've actually experienced such an education properly for yourself (not just a small amount of time in a private primary school) you're not in a position to make valid judgements.

There are going to be private schools that give lots of one-on-one tuition and loads of opportunities. However, there will also be private schools that are rubbish and probably worse than a lot of state schools. Its the same for state schools; there are some good, some bad, and some in the middle. Similarly, there are going to be some 'snobby' private school students, but there are also 'snobby' state school students too!

I don't quite understand your grudge against private school students. So what if they've had more opportunities? You've said that you did everything for yourself and got into Cambridge. If that's true, be proud of yourself and let students at other schools with different types of education be proud of theirs too. Why their education has anything to do with you, I don't know.

Frankly, you're making an ass of yourself and state school students in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    ahhh and so we segue amiably into another of the many intellectuals on this forum's "witty" comments.

what a shame my dear, that you cannot see satire or understand pragmatics in their most simple forms.i shall put this simply- bit of sarcasm, love. and i think with the wink matthew gave when he replied, he got it too.
    I got that it was sarcasm. What i was referring to was the generally rambling, foaming-at-the-mouth moronic pseudo-liberal rants that preceded it, the ones that were the primary target for criticism from other members. And fair enough if you want to use sarcasm, but here you are starting to sound like Brideshead Revisited's Anthony Blanche (full marks if that was your intention, by the way).

ReputationRep:
    which explains why they havent bee in power for years, and probably wont be for decades....
    you dont have much of a grasp on politics do you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Hey, we all have our views. Look I agree with them being spoonfed, but when you try to debate something try and have some logic.
    I would love to hear exactly what this definition of "spoonfed" ( :mad::mad::mad: ) actually is. Yes, we had better educational opportunities (in general). But that doesn't mean someone sat us down and said "hey kids, this is what to write in your exam."

Skatergirlannie - your comment was removed because it was deliberately inflammatory, and as is clearly stated in the rules, this is not allowed:

(Original post by The Rules)
    No flaming
    Do not post messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting.
    No trolling
    Do not put on a deliberately inflammatory persona in order to provoke a vehement response from other users. Try not to respond to people who do (don't feed the trolls!).
    Attempt to back up one of your points rather than just saying "Can't you face the truth??!?!!!?!!!111oneone" and I might pay more attention. It might help if you managed to make a post without quite so many exclamation marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I would love to hear exactly what this definition of "spoonfed" ( :mad::mad::mad: ) actually is. Yes, we had better educational opportunities (in general). But that doesn't mean someone sat us down and said "hey kids, this is what to write in your exam."
    Hey, stop getting on the mad side and calm down.
    You appear to obviously not read my previous posts! You will then know my stance on the issue. I'm not against privately educated people Helenia, I'm against the whole elitest stance against everyone who isn't.

It frustrates me in that privately educated people get many more benefits than that of a state school person. The opportunities, the helping hand, the contacts, the lifestyle (generally the case, but not always (and I'm talking about home here)).

I don't wish to publish every comment I have remonstrated already in previous posts on this thread. Lets remember Helenia; I was also Privately educated. I can't bare it for the simple reason that many of my *mates* (debatable), was helped along so much that everyone did everything for them. A lot of them have jobs as a result of their parents and there prestigous school on their CV which undoubtedly gives them a helping hand when getting a job. Its not just during, but after they get the benefits as well. The pupils parents will not let them fail at private school; not when there paying fees of around £10k a year. Do you think state school parents share the same enthusiasm? Therefore private students are pushed to their limits by people who won't let them do anything else.

Like I said, if your going to go into one because I have not stated something, read back on my past posts and I'm sure it will be there. I don't wish to be offensive.

ReputationRep:
    oh so my parents have less than half- a brain each then? they could send me to bloody eton if they wanted, but as they do not sgree with the inequality of private schools, i was sent to a (very good) comp.and i have done as well there as i would have if theyd paid £20,000 a year.i reckon parents waste their money on private ed.think about it- the type of parents who could afford it are likey to be high earners- and therefore intelligent (in a lot of cases).if they care so much about their childs education that they would pay a lot for it, it also means they place education high on their agenda when it comes to bringing up their children.any parent who does this is likey to end upwith a child with good grades and qualifications.if a parent takes great interest in their childs education, they are likely to do better- theyll be helped with homework, theyll be accompanied to parents evenings, theyll be nagged all the time to do their work, their parents will ask to see their workbooks to check for neatness (grrr- how annoying was that folks?).even at a comp, if a parent cares about their childs education then the child is likely to do well.not in all cases- but most.so i fact, private ed could hinder a child- they arent used to the harsher realities of the real world, they dont experience difficult children, dont get into a good scrap once in thei life, they are surrounded by too many people who are "just like them"- without the variety of people who attend comp schools. these are just some of the reasons for why i wouldnt send a child of mine to a private school.simply find a good comp.as long as the parent shows an interes, and puts a bit of pressure on the child, and links good values with education,then the child will be fine, and will do well- for free!
    The fact that your parents could have sent you to one of the best private schools in the country and decided not to because of their own political beliefs simply means that they put themselves and their ideals before your education, and that's all there is to it. An Eton education, I have no doubt about it, would be better than what you're getting now.

Read the posts before you which disprove most of the second half of what you say. But just to make it clear - 'a good scrap' doesn't necessarily equal real life experience, and there is so much pressure at private school it's ridiculous.

EDIT: Have just realised that brabzzz made the point already about putting beliefs before child's education

ReputationRep:
    I would love to hear exactly what this definition of "spoonfed" ( :mad::mad::mad: ) actually is.
    I should like to hear exactly what his definition of 'logic' is.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to hear exactly what this definition of "spoonfed" ( :mad::mad::mad: ) actually is.
    'spoonfed' is the bitter state-schooler's way of saying 'better quality of teaching'.

ReputationRep:
    By the way (this isn't linked to the quote), I said this somewhere else, why did you apply to Cambridge in the first place? If you disagree with 'elitism', why even bother trying to get into top universities who discriminate against weaker candidates? To get the best in the population, i.e. the elite. Oxbridge look for who are in their eyes the best candidates and disregard the rest. And you pay for university, just like you pay for private school. Was it just so you can turn around and say 'oh look at me I got offered a place at Cambridge but turned it down, aren't I sooo damn cool'? I don't even believe you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    So much wrong with that post!

The fact is, you don't know what the truth is. You have no experience of private secondary schooling, so how on earth can you know whether Helenia has been 'spoon fed' or not? Is it what you've seen on TV? Is it what you've been told by friends? Its second hand information in either case, and until you've actually experienced such an education properly for yourself (not just a small amount of time in a private primary school) you're not in a position to make valid judgements.

There are going to be private schools that give lots of one-on-one tuition and loads of opportunities. However, there will also be private schools that are rubbish and probably worse than a lot of state schools. Its the same for state schools; there are some good, some bad, and some in the middle. Similarly, there are going to be some 'snobby' private school students, but there are also 'snobby' state school students too!

I don't quite understand your grudge against private school students. So what if they've had more opportunities? You've said that you did everything for yourself and got into Cambridge. If that's true, be proud of yourself and let students at other schools with different types of education be proud of theirs too. Why their education has anything to do with you, I don't know.

Frankly, you're making an ass of yourself and state school students in general.
    Exactly-I went to private school since a young age and then to state college and they are both great!!!I didn't find much difference in teaching style or in fact the niceness of people. I went to school with some seriously rich girls but you wouldn't have known they were rich because they just didn't see it as a big deal and feel the need to brag about it. The people that did were the girls trying to pass themselves of as rich!

I have made some friends for life at St.Marys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepooos)
    Exactly-I went to private school since a young age and then to state college and they are both great!!!I didn't find much difference in teaching style or in fact the niceness of people. I went to school with some seriously rich girls but you wouldn't have known they were rich because they just didn't see it as a big deal and feel the need to brag about it. The people that did were the girls trying to pass themselves of as rich!

I have made some friends for life at St.Marys.
    Hmm, I've got to agree that in 14 years of private education I've never encountered any 'ego' as has been mentioned earlier. Those with the greatest need to brag are those lacking in some respect - but even then I never encountered it (only at Uni).

The fact that provate schools can better enforce (dunno how, just my observation) stricter dress codes/mobile phone bans etc makes everyone all the more equal.

As for the spoonfed argument, the money usually buys you:

- A bigger range of subjects, better teaching (on -average-)
    - Facilities (academic resources, IT, workshops, sports)
    - Security. Less incidences of drugs, violence, drinking.
    - Trouble free lessons. Yep, there's still clowning around and stuff, but persistant id1ots are excluded. Permanently. Without the endless comeback and red-tape, as it's 'bad for business'.
    - CCF - a bit poncy perhaps, but I've seen what it does for peoples self confidence and leadership. Oh-so-vital for uni interviews.
    - And 'buying in' to, as CottonMouth agrees, the vital 'surroundings' of kids/parents who do care about education - an aspect that is not omnipresent in the state sector. No 'chavs' and 'neets' (-sweeping- generalisation here) makes for a far better school.
    - smaller classes/more ability sets.

Spoonfed? Boll0cks! Who wouldn't want ALL of those above attributes in EVERY school - state or private? I assume that by 'spoonfed' your '''criticising'''' the fact those attributes were guaranteed through payment rather than by a miracle through the 'state school postcode lottery'?

ReputationRep:
    that is totally unfair, i went to private school- and i'm neither spoonfed or deserving! it was my parent's choice, they wanted to give me a good start in life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    By the way (this isn't linked to the quote), I said this somewhere else, why did you apply to Cambridge in the first place? If you disagree with 'elitism', why even bother trying to get into top universities who discriminate against weaker candidates? To get the best in the population, i.e. the elite. Oxbridge look for who are in their eyes the best candidates and disregard the rest. And you pay for university, just like you pay for private school. Was it just so you can turn around and say 'oh look at me I got offered a place at Cambridge but turned it down, aren't I sooo damn cool'? I don't even believe you!
    very nice.. like i give a ... anyway, i did it because i'd always wondered something, would i get in because of my grades or my education? and i was surprised to have been accepted, as it goes against alot of what i feel, yet these days these unis have been told to accept more state school kids, so who knows what to believe?! i just know that i felt different at private school, and the attitude i have been shown from many of you private school kids reminds me of when i was there.

I'm backing up my side because believe that one day you will be rewarded soloely for your efforts not for your money. I appreciate why you were all sent there, your parents know damn well about the opportunities available to you. So obviously the divide only begins there, where it ends.. it doesn't.

So whilst you all circulate effortlessly in your old boy networks never really knowing how life can really be in a world requiring more effort then you are used to i'm backing the side that earned a place much higher than any of you on your pedastals will ever know when they WORKED for their money.

and just so you know, for all of you spoonfed little babies who have been told exactly what to do, to do an exclamation mark you hold down shift and press the number one key.. like so..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like that helenia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    I got that it was sarcasm. What i was referring to was the generally rambling, foaming-at-the-mouth moronic pseudo-liberal rants that preceded it, the ones that were the primary target for criticism from other members. And fair enough if you want to use sarcasm, but here you are starting to sound like Brideshead Revisited's Anthony Blanche (full marks if that was your intention, by the way).
    I'm sure everyone reading this got that lovely, err, joke, was it?
    Since you haven't been a member of this site for very long i'll give you a little lesson. The only thing worse than when someone tries to be funny about a comment someone made in the hope of sounding witty, is when they then pretend that they knew what the original poster they were being catty about's intentions were. You got that it was sarcasm, but you quoted the words "bog orf" and then proceeded in your attempt to sound funny. I'm sure the world laughed with you.
    If you read my thread, you'll see that it barely contains anything about liberalism, and it certainly wasnt written while "foaming at the mouth". It was about how i think paying for education is a waste of money because the best way for a good education is to have parents who take an interest. How is that loony liberal? Stop making yourself look silly!

Oh, and if your intentions were to merely extend the sarcasm i used, then full marks to you too!

ps, loved the Anthony Blanche quip. Ok, no i didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure everyone reading this got that lovely, err, joke, was it?
    Since you haven't been a member of this site for very long i'll give you a little lesson. The only thing worse than when someone tries to be funny about a comment someone made in the hope of sounding witty, is when they then pretend that they knew what the original poster they were being catty about's intentions were. You got that it was sarcasm, but you quoted the words "bog orf" and then proceeded in your attempt to sound funny. I'm sure the world laughed with you.
    If you read my thread, you'll see that it barely contains anything about liberalism, and it certainly wasnt written while "foaming at the mouth". It was about how i think paying for education is a waste of money because the best way for a good education is to have parents who take an interest. How is that loony liberal? Stop making yourself look silly!

Oh, and if your intentions were to merely extend the sarcasm i used, then full marks to you too!

ps, loved the Anthony Blanche quip. Ok, no i didn't.
    this guy is great! lol

ReputationRep:
    very nice.. like i give a ... anyway, i did it because i'd always wondered something, would i get in because of my grades or my education? and i was surprised to have been accepted, as it goes against alot of what i feel, yet these days these unis have been told to accept more state school kids, so who knows what to believe?! i just know that i felt different at private school, and the attitude i have been shown from many of you private school kids reminds me of when i was there.
    You like a.... what exactly? And if that last sentence is a plea for sympathy, b****cks to that - if you didn't attack private schoolers from the very beginning you wouldn't be getting this kind of treatment from them. No point talking about the 'attitude' you have been shown here, even state schoolers are beginning to disagree with you. As I asked earlier on (with no reply) - you got bullied at private school and were made to feel uncomfortable, and so is this why you have decided to wage war on every private schooler you find? Get over it, open your eyes and see 'the real world' you talk so much about - private schoolers aren't all like that.

I'm backing up my side because believe that one day you will be rewarded soloely for your efforts not for your money. I appreciate why you were all sent there, your parents know damn well about the opportunities available to you. So obviously the divide only begins there, where it ends.. it doesn't.
    Yes, one day you may be, as may many private schoolers. And I don't understand the second half of what you say - what divide ends where but doesn't really?

So whilst you all circulate effortlessly in your old boy networks never really knowing how life can really be in a world requiring more effort then you are used to i'm backing the side that earned a place much higher than any of you on your pedastals will ever know when they WORKED for their money.
    What would be the point in achieving those high grades we get 'spoonfed' as you call it if we weren't going to use them to our advantage, get to good unis and go on and find good jobs? If we were to merely rely on old pupil networks? And for your information, girls go to private school as well.

and just so you know, for all of you spoonfed little babies who have been told exactly what to do, to do an exclamation mark you hold down shift and press the number one key.. like so..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like that helenia?
    She knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    You like a.... what exactly? And if that last sentence is a plea for sympathy, b****cks to that - if you didn't attack private schoolers from the very beginning you wouldn't be getting this kind of treatment from them. No point talking about the 'attitude' you have been shown here, even state schoolers are beginning to disagree with you. As I asked earlier on (with no reply) - you got bullied at private school and were made to feel uncomfortable, and so is this why you have decided to wage war on every private schooler you find? Get over it, open your eyes and see 'the real world' you talk so much about - private schoolers aren't all like that.

Yes, one day you may be, as may many private schoolers. And I don't understand the second half of what you say - what divide ends where but doesn't really?

What would be the point in achieving those high grades we get 'spoonfed' as you call it if we weren't going to use them to our advantage, get to good unis and go on and find good jobs? If we were to merely rely on old pupil networks? And for your information, girls go to private school as well.

She knows.

perhaps you're just thick! i don't need sympathy, i started this thread because i saw another thread entitled 'public school society' where silly little rich kids were basically taking the p out of state schoolers! i dont want your sympathy, i want you to show me some kind of proof that any of you are actually of even average intelligence? you make such silly comments! prove to me private schoolers aren't spoonfed and i'll listen.. go on.. (this should be interesting0

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.