Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatergirlannie)
    btw, is it funny to take the p out of state school then? if so then it's funny to take the p out of private!
    What are your views on the 'bog standard', failing.. etc etc.. comprehensive thread that's on these forums as well? Are they taking the piss out of private schools too then? You don't seem to have any complaints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    I fear there are some things in life you'll never understand
    private school kids

ReputationRep:
    Well, at least you're less stupid than skatergirlannie - fairly sensible actually. The point you make about whether or not you would have enjoyed Eton - fair enough. I was just talking about your parents, but if you had your say in the matter about your general ideology and ethics, well I can't really argue with that.

As for stereotypes though, all state schoolers are chavs - would you disagree? I would.. just as I would disagree that all private schoolers are snobbish.
    See, this is where we enter the grey area. I'm certainly not going to join in the ****ging-off-each-other stuff!

i certainly agree that not all staters are chavs, just as not all privates are snobs.but do you agree tha there are probably an equal amount of snobs at private schools as there are chavs at state school? And you must be careful, because state schools in the type of areas where i live are totally chav- free! you get plenty of state schools in middle-class areas where the kids are good, with no chavs.but how many private schools with no snobs do you see?

i think this debate is just a kind of literary euphemism for the old posh vs chav debate, we have gon too far off topic, and have all ended up making petty comments.just like the book "The Lord of the Flies", see how civililised people turn into animals at the tap of a key? Has anyone else looked back at this thread and laughed at how silly the whole thing is.more mature debating please, folks!

and ace, as you say, i have my ideologies, and thereore could never ush any kids i may have into an environment i kow i would have hated.and because we are a product of our parents, my mother made the right decision for me, regardless of whether i would have had a "better" education at Eton. Cus jus think, would you send your child somehwere you know you would have hated as a child?

ReputationRep:
    What are your views on the 'bog standard', failing.. etc etc.. comprehensive thread that's on these forums as well? Are they taking the piss out of private schools too then? You don't seem to have any complaints.
    haven't read them, have no intention of!

i love a good debate! Even if i am a bit too opinionated! many thanks to all who contributed!

ReputationRep:
    Hey check out this neg rep I just found for one of my posts here - w*nker

Sophistication to its highest levels. Wonder who it was..

ReputationRep:
    Hey check out this neg rep I just found for one of my posts here - w*nker

Sophistication to its highest levels. Wonder who it was..
    that's not very nice! who was it?

ReputationRep:
    i love a good debate! Even if i am a bit too opinionated! many thanks to all who contributed!
    As do I - and thank you, madam.

ReputationRep:
    As do I - and thank you, madam.
    you are more than welcome, it's been educational

ReputationRep:
    skatergirl - troll? Do you think we just paid £1-per-1% (or something) in the exams and did no work since 13 to get where we are? It requires as much work as anywhere. Being taught 'better' is an advantage, but does not do the work for you. I was certainly not taught just exam specific knowledge. I didn't take physics/mechanics beyond a-level but helped 1st year degree people with theirs...that's how far off (and above) the syllabus we strayed. Did that help in exams? Nope - not directly. And it was a lot more work.

I look forward to your 1 line (if that) insult/reply!

cottonmouth - fair enough, I would not send my kids to a private school either if there was a good state school available. The only way you can ensure that is by moving into the catchment area of one. Which is pretty similar to paying to go to your school of choice - and is 'elitist' against those who cannot afford to move. How you -know- you'd have had a worse time at Eton is beyond me though. (no, i didn't go their either).

lol, and I'm no stereotype. In a random strawpoll in my 2nd year at uni, not one person thought i'd come from private school. Stereotypes are few and far between. More confident, articulate and perhaps 'naive' is maybe a slight stereotype of private school leavers pre uni. Not a bad one either in my opinion. But the poncy 'rahness' does NOT signify private school. They're just pretentious as*holes that are omnipresent to a degree in all private schools and are a product of the parents, NOT the school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    See, this is where we enter the grey area. I'm certainly not going to join in the ****ging-off-each-other stuff!
    Well, each to his own

i certainly agree that not all staters are chavs, just as not all privates are snobs.but do you agree tha there are probably an equal amount of snobs at private schools as there are chavs at state school? And you must be careful, because state schools in the type of areas where i live are totally chav- free! you get plenty of state schools in middle-class areas where the kids are good, with no chavs.but how many private schools with no snobs do you see?
    I suppose I agree that you get roughly the same proportion of snobs, maybe, at private school than at state school. But I'm sure there are some private schools (generally at the lower end) which would be just about snob-free. But look, even top private schools have a couple of chavs, so I'm sure that even those state schools in middle-class areas must have them too.

Has anyone else looked back at this thread and laughed at how silly the whole thing is.more mature debating please, folks!
    Awww come on, doing it this way makes it so much funner!

Cus jus think, would you send your child somehwere you know you would have hated as a child?
    Depends how similar my child was to me, to be honest

ReputationRep:
    you are more than welcome, it's been educational
    I'm sure it has

ReputationRep:
    anyone ever hear the joke about the czech being in the mail?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it has
    for 16 you have a bit of a know all attitude

ReputationRep:
    anyone ever hear the joke about the czech being in the mail?
    Yep, but this Czech won't bounce. But if it does, let me know and I'll Czech it out.

ReputationRep:
    for 16 you have a bit of a know all attitude
    For 18, you're a bit of a dumbass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Yep, but this Czech won't bounce. But if it does, let me know and I'll Czech it out.
    Groan....

(I'm Czech myself )

ReputationRep:
    now you're just being silly

ReputationRep:
    Loving it...

ReputationRep:
    now you're just being silly
    If you say so - it was nice chatting annie. I'm off for now, but shall return at a later date.

'I'm with the skater boy~~, I said seeya later boy~~'

ReputationRep:
    STOP STOP STOP!!! look, people, the simple fact is that when people say spponfed, they mean they've had it much easier than state-schoolers.that is all it means.it is easy to see.the smaller classes, better facilities,e tc, mean that things are easier for them.who contests this simple fact?

But as the private schoolers say, you get what you pay for. their parents pay for a better service.exactly the same as if you book a five star hotel for a holiday, it will be nicer than a b+b. it is unfair, but that's life.if all of us state- schoolers knows that life is unfair, and that there are going to be people who have had it easier than us, then instead of complaining about it, why not try and do the best you can? the defeatist attitude too many working class people have is part of what keeps them back their whole lives. you know what your'e up against in life, and forewarned is forearmed.what better ammo than knowing what you have to compete against.i dont want to hear any more working class state-schoolers moaning about life if theyre not going to try and change things for themselves, like my family have.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.