Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    we should abolish crap parents!
    Which brings it back the whole circle to shooting all the Chavs and Neets.

I don't even think class has anything to do with (a concept that itself makes my blood boil). It's the parenting attitudes/lifestyles in question - they're varied at every level. Not class.

ReputationRep:
    bit extreme to move, need a life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    My parents moved house, and I'd do the same.
    And what if you can't afford to move, or like where you live (for me it was the former rather than the latter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    My parents moved house, and I'd do the same.
    That option is not open to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Which brings it back the whole circle to shooting all the Chavs and Neets.

I don't even think class has anything to do with (a concept that itself makes my blood boil). It's the parenting attitudes/lifestyles in question - they're varied at every level. Not class.
    I've never heard the word "Neets"! what are they?
    it is as you say it is, but alas, class is a factor in this.the attitudes and lifestyles people follow are precisely how they are labelled.we shouldnt label, but we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    I've never heard the word "Neets"! what are they?
    it is as you say it is, but alas, class is a factor in this.the attitudes and lifestyles people follow are precisely how they are labelled.we shouldnt label, but we do.
    i'm afraid i can't marry you! you're not the man i thought you were!

ReputationRep:
    Neets? "Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET

more concisley than wikipedia, they're the crowd that do sod all and just leech benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Since I don't know anything about the real world, I'm just gonna leave and do a twelve hour night shift to get some cash for the new year at uni.

Be back online when I get back at half six.

Carl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I had one that read **** a few days ago from this thread. Couldn't be the same person right?
    Well I never. I'm stumped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Since I don't know anything about the real world, I'm just gonna leave and do a twelve hour night shift to get some cash for the new year at uni.

Be back online when I get back at half six.

Carl
    Well I can say goodbye to the real world. Just finished my last shift until Xmas! YAY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatergirlannie)
    i'm afraid i can't marry you! you're not the man i thought you were!
    It's ok, I doubt he'd want to marry you

ReputationRep:
    each to their own for sure! i wish everyone could afford to save their lives faster and in style!
    because you don't get anywhere faster! derr, same speed, more help yadda yadda
    But on to the real, hard-hitting questions; for instance: is this sarcasm, or long-term drug abuse? (Or, perhaps, a combination of the two?)

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you're just thick! i don't need sympathy, i started this thread because i saw another thread entitled 'public school society' where silly little rich kids were basically taking the p out of state schoolers! i dont want your sympathy, i want you to show me some kind of proof that any of you are actually of even average intelligence? you make such silly comments! prove to me private schoolers aren't spoonfed and i'll listen.. go on.. (this should be interesting0
    You want my entire list of academic credentials? Just so you can say that I'm thick really and wouldn't have got them if I'd been at a state school? I think not.

haven't read them, have no intention of!

i love a good debate! Even if i am a bit too opinionated! many thanks to all who contributed!
    See, what you've been doing isn't really debate. Shouting a lot and not answering or refuting anything else that's been said is not debate. It's just shouting. And thanks for your oh-so-educational message on how to find the exclamation mark, may I offer you a reciprocal lesson on when to use it?

private healthcare is the way to get things done properly, but without the underclass to utilise state funded stuff we'd find ourselves pretty bored and alone really, all the same
    Now who's snobby? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I'm just not attending the right private school, but never have I seen anyone in my grade being 'spoonfed'. If you're having problems with something, the teachers will take time to help you to understand it, but that's about it.

Of course, I've never needed the extra help. I'm not to trying to brag, but really...the fact that as a thirteen-year-old, I scored better than 77% of college-bound students nationwide on the ACT test (I live in America. D: And I want out of the country ASAP, but that's not the point) has zero to do with the fact that I go to a private school. It's my own natural intelligence. I'm quite confident of that.

Surely, private school kids may do better academically than state educationed ones, but isn't it to be expected? Their parents didn't pay for a school in order that their children should be average. Is it fair to people who could have benefited greatly if only they'd had some of the extra help private school teachers can provide? No. But honestly, when is the world ever?

...Hope that made sense. O_o

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or are privately educated people spoonfed opportunities?!
    How can one be spoonfed an oppurtunity? Any oppurtunity small enough to fit on a spoon is barely worth seizing. Therefore you're wrong. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school. Personally I don't feel that pupils from public schools are any better- I know plenty who have acheived lower grades than myself, and regardless of whether they were 'spoon- fed' or not, some of them haven't taken the opporunities given to them anyway. Some of them are pretty elitist though, but at the end of the day, you can do better than them anyway, its all about doing your best, regardless of whether you came from a public school or not. Basically, in every school, state or public, you have those who come out with top grades, and those who fail academically. Everbody is given opoortunities, only some of us realise them and take them when they come our way.

ReputationRep:
    skatergirlannie: Did you just start this thread to feel like you're not the only one dissing public school kids out of what seems like bitterness for how they treated you? One person, one school... Let it go.

I'll put my two cents in. I just finished studying at :eek: a public school! Shock horror! How dare my parents put me in a school with PAID FOR better standards of teaching? I sat the same exams that everybody else did, and I used my own skills to get the grades that I did, my teachers weren't sitting next to me telling me what to write. So the only thing that public schools offer that state schools don't always is a high teaching standard. That's it.

Everything else that public schools offer like maybe the beautiful school grounds mentioned before, all of that MATERIAL stuff is because these schools do not come for free. The academic side of it is just the same, except that public schools usually have entrance exams to ensure a high level of students who will embrace the unique opportunity they were given. So we get what we get because we pay for it, much like just about everything else in the world.

As for being 'spoonfed opportunities' I have proof that in recent years prejudice is leaning AGAINST private school kids. We were told last year when we were applying to universities that no less than five Russell League universities have a special system that favours state school kids. If, for example, it worked by way of points, and if I were to go into an interview, even before I stepped inside the room my sheet would read 'minus five points' purely because I came from a private school and was given a better chance at good grades than I would have got had I come from a state school.

So don't tell me about us being spoonfed opportunities. Because of people like you, society is now discriminating against people like me just because of where I studied. So now we have to work even harder, and have even more pressure from our school (because yes, private schools put a lot more pressure on students to do well) just to be even with students from state schools. Sure, you get the pompous a***holes at public schools, but you have got to be a very ignorant person if you think they're that way because of where they study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypants)
    As for being 'spoonfed opportunities' I have proof that in recent years prejudice is leaning AGAINST private school kids. We were told last year when we were applying to universities that no less than five Russell League universities have a special system that favours state school kids. If, for example, it worked by way of points, and if I were to go into an interview, even before I stepped inside the room my sheet would read 'minus five points' purely because I came from a private school and was given a better chance at good grades than I would have got had I come from a state school.
    Very sad. I'm state-school educated myself and I really disagree with this discrimination. The intentions behind it might be good but positive discrimination and negative discrimination are simply two sides of the same coin - and, in my opinion, they are equally reprehensible. Universities already admit people on the basis of potential, which should pick up anyone who may not have the grades because of unfavourable school background but nevertheless has the ability to do well at university. To openly penalise students on the basis of where they were educated, however, is wrong, no matter how such discrimination is dressed up. I was really irritated by the Laura Spence affair - I suspect that, had she been a public school, pupil, no-one would have taken any interest. But, because she was from the state sector, it was perfectly acceptable to cry discrimination.

Besides, there are some excellent state schools (including the one I was lucky to attend) - are universities going to start distinguishing between good state schools and poor public schools (which inevitably exist, I'm sure)? It seems to me that it's easier simply to look at the label, leading to the "State school good, public school bad" mentality.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the 'public shcoolchildren being discriminated against by university admissions' is largely a myth, especially at Oxbridge. It was in The Times last week.State school pupils are still discriminated against.

ReputationRep:
    yeah well kiddies see that poll? says alot! I'm not sad about my experience, i wasn't bullied at all, lets get this right! i felt different, i didn't like them and the quips they made about new money, maybe it was a sly dig but either way the general feeling i had of the place was that i didn't like it and i was thoroughly sick of being spoonfed!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.