Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    you can't say that private school children are spoonfed unless you have been to one. maybe then you will know how much work we get.

ReputationRep:
    i wasn't spoonfed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinza75)
    you can't say that private school children are spoonfed unless you have been to one. maybe then you will know how much work we get.
    Don't you feel like a bit of a snob?
    I would, Id be well embarrassed in a public school uniform...........the fact of the matter is, you're set up for life at a public school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I would, Id be well embarrassed in a public school uniform...........the fact of the matter is, you're set up for life at a public school.
    'I'd be well embarrassed' if I was a chav.

And don't take it out on private schoolers who happen to have parents who either worked harder than yours to make their money or were lucky enough to inherit it.

ReputationRep:
    i went to private school most of my life. the teaching was good but when i decided to go to a comprehensive it was not much different apart from some unruley children causing unnecessary mayhem in classes. i didnt get much of this cos i was in the higher tier for all my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    My, the grapes are sour today...

What do you mean by "set up for life"? Do you really think that attendance at a public school means not having to lift a finger for the rest of one's life?

ReputationRep:
    I find it quite disappointing that in this thread those that attended state schools are the ones who have been judgemental and snobbish - not those who have attended private schools.
    I agree that generally those who have attended private schools will have had many more oppurtunities but I find it unneccessarily critical to say they have been 'spoonfed'.

ReputationRep:
    They are spoonfed. Do you ever see them fail their GCSES/A-levels?
    Yes, I have.
    However support private school kids are offered, we still have to do the work ourselves, so it is inevitable that not everybody succeeds. I have seen plenty of people underachieve so what exactly they were spoonfed I do not know.

Believe me, the expectations are a lot higher at public schools, the pressure is a lot greater, and as a result failure is unexpected but it happens, and being 'loaded' doesn't stop somebody from underachieving in any way shape or form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I find it quite disappointing that in this thread those that attended state schools are the ones who have been judgemental and snobbish - not those who have attended private schools.
    I agree that generally those who have attended private schools will have had many more oppurtunities but I find it unneccessarily critical to say they have been 'spoonfed'.
    Thank you!
    If anything, skatergirlannie's unfounded attack on ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL KIDS illustrates her snobbery, not ours.

ReputationRep:
    Shut up all of you. We don't take the piss out you state-schoolers stop leave us alone, you'll be working for us someday, so hush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonBoy)
    you'll be working for us someday, so hush
    Ho ho

ReputationRep:
    I think the options for this pole are silly.

What is meant by 'deserving'? who doesn't deserve a place at uni / good education? we are all equal after all. And I don't think that private school kids are spoonfed, because you're on your own in the exam!

However, after going through the state school system, I would much rather have gone to a private school. I certainly do not begrudge (sp?) my private school counterparts. I'm sure other people have had different experiences, but in my school the teachers were crap, I never had any support whether it was on an academic or personal basis. And the kids were bloody awful! always swearing, being disruptive or wanting a fight! I'm glad I survived it though! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fash_da_illest)
    I think the options for this pole are silly.

What is meant by 'deserving'? who doesn't deserve a place at uni / good education? we are all equal after all. And I don't think that private school kids are spoonfed, because you're on your own in the exam!

However, after going through the state school system, I would much rather have gone to a private school. I certainly do not begrudge (sp?) my private school counterparts. I'm sure other people have had different experiences, but in my school the teachers were crap, I never had any support whether it was on an academic or personal basis. And the kids were bloody awful! always swearing, being disruptive or wanting a fight! I'm glad I survived it though! lol
    We're not all equal. That's baloney really.

ReputationRep:
    care to elaborate? your words are pointless without some sort of evidence to back your point.

Hi all
    I went to a private school up to the age of 9, then moved to state school. Going to a private school was the worst experience of my life! (Saville House, Mansfield Woodhouse, Notts)
    Its a con! The teachers abuse the children. I had difficulty in reading when i was 7, so my teacher use to smack me infront of the whole class. I felt so ashamed of myself and lacked confidence in studying. I hate that school and wished it was closed down!
    I enjoyed my experience much more at state school, the teaching was excellent and met down to earth people. I managed to gain some confidence in studying but I could still have alot more.
    Suppose it depends ..not all private schools are like this, but I wished I went straight into state school.
    @ the moment im taking a year out from doing psychology bsc, so I cant be as stupid as she said i was.
    so think twice b4 ya send ya kids off to private schools!
    Luv ya all
    soniax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissMuse)
    Suppose it depends ..not all private schools are like this, but I wished I went straight into state school.
    Yes, I suppose it does, and no, you're right, not all private schools are like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonBoy)
    you'll be working for us someday, so hush
    Ahh. Years of progress, undone; just like that. There is an eerie, almost apocalyptic beauty to it all. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what's all this?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's private schools the spoonfeed children, it happens just as much in state schools with well-off parents. My gripe is generally with people trying to be something they are not, i.e if you have a privilidged background then trying to be like mockney working class or vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userunknown)
    I don't think it's private schools the spoonfeed children, it happens just as much in state schools with well-off parents. My gripe is generally with people trying to be something they are not, i.e if you have a privilidged background then trying to be like mockney working class or vice versa.
    Ok...so you're resorting to "belonging to your own class" ?
    Being classy has NOTHING to do with class, except for the obvious grammatical relationship.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.