The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nope but trying to be something that you are clearly not is insulting to yourself and people arround you. Like a white kid from the suburbs trying to be like some ghettoised gangster youth.
All schools spoonfeed their students. Yes, private and public school kids will usually be given a superior education. That's pretty obvious. On saying that, a teacher cannot learn the subject for you and it still has to be done by the students. You can't buy your grades; you can only buy a better education with which to get them.
Public schoolkids still deserve their grades because, simply, they worked for them.
Reply 342
ThePenguinMafia
All schools spoonfeed their students.

Whilst there may be some truth in this, particularly at Key stages 3 and 4, there is a very definite difference between amount of 'spoonfeeding' in private and state schools in 6th forms.

If there were not, why would those from private schools who achieve all A's at A level do less well at degree outcome than those from state schools with lesser grades at A level?
Reply 343
yawn
Whilst there may be some truth in this, particularly at Key stages 3 and 4, there is a very definite difference between amount of 'spoonfeeding' in private and state schools in 6th forms.

If there were not, why would those from private schools who achieve all A's at A level do less well at degree outcome than those from state schools with lesser grades at A level?

If you go private school then university is almost expected and a lot of students go because its simply what you do. A few kids therefore just don't do much work and enjoy themselves, because daddy can provide at the end but want to have a fantastic time with their friends rather than going straight to work. These small minority of people bring down the average mark of private school students who work very hard and end up actually being extremely balanced people, not only with good degrees but a lot of outside interests. It is merely a few richer kids at the top bringing things down who don't 'need' the education

My own experience: I went to a very liberal (and expensive) private boarding school. We had free periods from the age of 13 and only one assignment a week. You can use your free periods to work or do other things such as music and it is completely upto you how you manage your time (although you do have to say what you did in each period). The assignments, due to the fact that you had a week allowed you to spend as much or as little time as you wanted and for sixth form this meant you had a lot of ability to expand into areas that interested you, even if they werent strictly part of the syllabus, which was totally self directed and not spoonfed in the slightest.
Reply 344
Some private school students are spoonfed. However the word you need to note, is 'some'.

Some state school students go to excellent schools and have excellent teachers. And dare I suggest... some of these students may be spoonfed also? This entire thread is based on generalisation and prejudices.
Reply 345
Tednol
Some private school students are spoonfed. However the word you need to note, is 'some'.

Some state school students go to excellent schools and have excellent teachers. And dare I suggest... some of these students may be spoonfed also? This entire thread is based on generalisation and prejudices.

In any debate, there is going to be a need for some amount of generalisation.

The differences between the support received (generally) by students at private schools and state schools is of such proportions that uni admission tutors are having to make allowances in terms of grade offers because of disparity between degree outcomes.
yawn
uni admission tutors are having to make allowances in terms of grade offers because of disparity between degree outcomes.

Or this might have something to do with pressure from the government, seeing as a lot of Oxbridge's funding is, I believe, received from them.
notyourpunk
(although you do have to say what you did in each period).

That is sad! What kind of public school was that? Probably not a real one..
yawn

You can't say that 'those from private schools who achieve all A's at A level do less well at degree outcome' - They don't necessarily do worse than those from state schools with lesser grades at A-Level, statistically more do, but hey, they were probably lazy sh*ts before they ever set foot in private school.

The fact that statistically more private schoolers with better grades go on to do slightly worse at uni is no reason to allow people in from state school on lesser grades - what's the point in having a graded examination system if they're not going to goddamn well go by what grades you get?!? This just provides more incentive for state schoolers not to work hard and not to fully achieve their potential because they know they could get into places like Oxbridge on crap grades while private schoolers have to work their asses off for every last little mark. Also, I would have thought that a boarding experience as is offered at most private schoolers would be much more beneficial in preparation for uni life, organization and being away from home than going to a day school and going home every day until you reach the age of 18.
The Ace is Back
That is sad! What kind of public school was that? Probably not a real one..

now you listen to me little man and you listen good! your snobby and downright obnoxious attitude is demonstrative of every single private schooler in this thread! do not tell me i am wrong! i have my opinion and so many of you have only served to back it up! You're pathetic!

If you are so blinded by the shiny silver spoon being shoved in your mouths not to see the inequality in the world around you thhen it's a sad day because yet another generation of hoo ray henrys have been born!

your parents or their parents worked damned hard no doubt, but what good has it done you? you'll never know what success feels like because it's a fact that private school children have more opportunities and they get them much easier than state schoolers! that's a fact! look it up!

Spoonfed in this context means that opportunities come so easily to you! You know it does! And if you dare to reply telling me i'm wrong about any of this then i know i've won hands down! and it wont just be the poll to prove it! so do yourself a favour and accept that hardship for you is far less than any hardship you would encounter in a state school!
skatergirlannie
now you listen to me little man and you listen good! your snobby and downright obnoxious attitude is demonstrative of every single private schooler in this thread! do not tell me i am wrong! i have my opinion and so many of you have only served to back it up! You're pathetic!

And you madam have certainly convinced me that a British state education must be flawed.

skategirlannie
If you are so blinded by the shiny silver spoon being shoved in your mouths not to see the inequality in the world around you thhen it's a sad day because yet another generation of hoo ray henrys have been born!

I look around me, I see chavs with shaved heads wearing God knows what and bearing knives on the street, and yes, I do see the inequality in the world around me. So what? Did I start the thread saying 'oooh no private schoolers have such a hard time because nowadays we have to practically get full marks to get into good universities, what am I going to do?? Boohoooo'. I believe Somebody started one about state schoolers and the tough times they have to put up with though.

skatergirlannie
your parents or their parents worked damned hard no doubt, but what good has it done you? you'll never know what success feels like because it's a fact that private school children have more opportunities and they get them much easier than state schoolers! that's a fact! look it up!

I'll know what 'success feels like' when I own a multi-billion multi-national kick-ass corporation, a huge house (or 3) and about 10 cars, and I see you outside wheeling bins down the road.

skatergirlannie
Spoonfed in this context means that opportunities come so easily to you! You know it does! And if you dare to reply telling me i'm wrong about any of this then i know i've won hands down! and it wont just be the poll to prove it! so do yourself a favour and accept that hardship for you is far less than any hardship you would encounter in a state school!

Annie, if you were better educated, you might have realised that the poll is not necessarily representative of the population - it is from a sample of TSR users. Who may for the majority be state educated.. who knows. So no, kindly don't go spewing that kind of crap. You're cunning attempt to prevent me answering by saying 'And if you dare to reply telling me i'm wrong about any of this then i know i've won hands down!' I found quite amusing - although I wouldn't expect much better from you.

Anyhow, bad luck - I was joking. Sorry to spoil your seeming moment of glory. In any case how is what you say relevant to the quote in question? The guy I was talking to went to a private school, silly girl - go listen to Blink and skateboard or something.
"I'll know what 'success feels like' when I own a multi-billion multi-national kick-ass corporation, a huge house (or 3) and about 10 cars"

how is that success when your parents made that possible? plus little man you'll be wheeling my bins down the road for sure! you're on the road to nowhere! mark my words!
by the way, the chavs... they're thanks to the society people like you have built! twerp!
Reply 353
Im a private school kid and I am spoonfed. But being spoonfed doesnt get you A grades. Hard work does. :smile:
che_guevara
Im a private school kid and I am spoonfed. But being spoonfed doesnt get you A grades. Hard work does. :smile:

how do you know that's hard work? and either way, simply attending private school gives you merits in the old boy network
skatergirlannie
by the way, the chavs... they're thanks to the society people like you have built! twerp!

The state school system which you argue so strongly for is there for all - if people want to take opportunity of it and make something of themselves, they are more than welcome. As it is, these 'chavs' either haven't taken the opportunities or the state school system is crap - take your pick, but don't blame it on 'people like [me]'.
skatergirlannie
"I'll know what 'success feels like' when I own a multi-billion multi-national kick-ass corporation, a huge house (or 3) and about 10 cars"

how is that success when your parents made that possible? plus little man you'll be wheeling my bins down the road for sure! you're on the road to nowhere! mark my words!

Being at the top of the ladder in whichever job/profession you choose to adopt seems to me to be success - if private schoolers are all spoon-fed so much, how come they're not all running the country? Why do some private schoolers end up selling scooters in Thailand? Tell me exactly how the spoon-feeding has helped? Statistically why do more private schoolers end up doing worse at uni? No, silly, it's up to the individual to work hard and get to the top. As you said, there is inequality in the world - maybe it's easier for a private schooler to make it to the top as he/she has more opportunities, but that my dear girl is just tough sh*t.
skatergirlannie
simply attending private school gives you merits in the old boy network

Don't be sexist, girls go to private school too.
Reply 358
The Ace is Back
Don't be sexist, girls go to private school too.

Skatergirlannie,

Seriously, you must have one hell of a chip on your shoulder to still be arguing over this.

I have been privately educated all the way up. I would *never* presume to make unfounded and offensive statements about all state-educated pupils.

If I want to buy a car that has better safety features than your car, is that unfair? If I pay for an important operation, is that unfair? Regardless of whether it is, or isn't, everyone has the right to get what they pay for.

For God's sake, judge everyone on their own merits and not on their background. You are just as bad as the private-school prats (and they do, of course exist) that have been making generalisations about state-schools in the thread.
Reply 359
I haven't actually read more than the first post of this thread (no time), but I can guess that it's along the lines of: 'Private school kids are given opportunities that state school kids aren't, and mummy and Daddy have paid for them and most of them are undeserving toffs and prats.'

Am I right? Because if so, as somebody who goes to private school, then I can safely say that those sort of people are in the very small minority, and you're making a gross generalisation. Sure, there are some people with their heads firmly up their own rectums, but most work hard and deserve all the success they get, regardless of if their parents are well off enough to educate them privately.

Latest

Trending

Trending