Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Judging by Annie's last 30 posts, though, criticising private education is the only thing she wants to 'debate' about.
    Well, I think anybody with half a brain would send their kids to a private school if it was within their means. I know I would. **** equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, I think anybody with half a brain would send their kids to a private school if it was within their means. I know I would. **** equality.
    Well said that man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxXmowgliXxX)
    dont like them cos some ppl who go there think theyr superior just cos theyr richer
    but i wudnt mind goin 2 one
    Actually, my parents are poorer because I go to private school. It's quite a sacrifice to send me to one, and I appreciate their commitment to my education and future career, when the money could have easily got us a new car every two years, or a much better house, a better standard of living, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think that depends on your local situation. Certainly there were many good state schools where I was brought up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morals_officer)
    Depends.

Privately educated kids tend to do worse at uni than state-educated. Perhaps because they're used to more tutoring or somesuch?

Private schools consist of a state of the art environment where nothing goes wrong. The greens are lush, cricket and rugby being played on the rolled turf is the norm. The environment consists of a secluded atmosphere whereby the only interaction with a non-eduacted peron would be a brush in with the cleaner. Everything is done for them.

In University, they actually have to think for themselves and get from A to B on public transport rather than their coach that picks them up from their doorstop. Everything is spoonfed for them.

But I guess I'm going by one particular school here. So this is not an all round thing. And yes, it is one of the best in the country with £10,000 pa fees and not 20k as someone suggested for a top school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    But I guess I'm going by one particular school here. So this is not an all round thing. And yes, it is one of the best in the country with £10,000 pa fees and not 20k as someone suggested for a top school.
    How do you define 'best'?

ReputationRep:
    Private schools consist of a state of the art environment where nothing goes wrong. The greens are lush, cricket and rugby being played on the rolled turf is the norm. The environment consists of a secluded atmosphere whereby the only interaction with a non-eduacted peron would be a brush in with the cleaner. Everything is done for them.
    My school is hardly secluded, it's right in the city centre. It raises thousands for charity, gives 200 scholarships and 70 bursaries a year, and the Sixth Year's work with such foundations as the Pilton Project (befriending underprivelaged children), Shelter (devoting time to the homeless) and Headway (helping in a brain damage hospice) among many other projects. Oh, and everything is not done for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Damn. At private school, they only show you how to make toast.
    No, she didn't learn at school, at home, at the age of 18yrs! Before that she didn't even know how to boil water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    No, she didn't learn at school, at home, at the age of 18yrs! Before that she didn't even know how to boil water.
    *cringe* Sorry, it was a rubbishy joke. Although I fail to understand how anyone couldn't boil water.

ReputationRep:
    The information and teaching may or may not be spoonfed. The original post was about spoonfeeding opportunities, and that is regrettably common. I would like to make it clear that I have nothing against private school kids themselves (I think the thread title could be improved upon, because it suggests the blame lies with the actual kids), because they probably didn't choose to be the lucky ones. They're certainly not a bunch of polo-playing toffs, either; that kind of generalisation is the refuge of the stupid and the bitter.

However, the fact remains that they do tend to have more opportunities, partly because their schools frequently have better connections (in some cases purely by virtue of having been around a long time).

I think private education is fundamentally unfair and incompatible with any society that professes to offer the same to rich and poor, but while it is around I see no reason to hate those individuals who take advantage of it.

What about selective grammars? No fees, but teaching quality just as good as the very best private schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    *cringe* Sorry, it was a rubbishy joke. Although I fail to understand how anyone couldn't boil water.
    Ah ok, im just bit dense and didn't realise was a joke!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    the stupid and the bitter.
    skatergirlannie

ReputationRep:
    I think private education is fundamentally unfair and incompatible with any society that professes to offer the same to rich and poor, but while it is around I see no reason to hate those individuals who take advantage of it.
    Maybe, but if you got rid of the private schools you'd have to stretch government education funding even further right, so I imagine the quality of state schools overall would deteriorate, unless we cut down spending in other areas.

ReputationRep:
    What about selective grammars? No fees, but teaching quality just as good as the very best private schools.
    As far as I'm aware, you do not get selective grammars in Scotland, only bursaries for private schools (which are set to become non-existent if charitable status is to be removed from private schools).

ReputationRep:
    Private school kids don't get spoon-fed opportunities. They get discriminated against - it's harder for someone who went to a private school, even a crappy one, to get into university. Some insane figure like about 80% of private school applicants to Oxbridge get rejected.

Why do people have these weird ideas about private school? It's not all Eton!

I got screwed over by going to a private school - it got closed a few weeks before exams, we were left with nothing, which wouldn't happen in a state school. You've not got protection of quality of teaching in a private school - anybody can teach in a private school, you don't need a degree or anything.

How is private school unfair? I can't understand people who complain about it. If everyone who sent their kids to private school sent them to state school, the standard in states would be a lot lower, because there'd be a lot more kids to teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I think that depends on your local situation. Certainly there were many good state schools where I was brought up.
    Yes. Obviously depends on your area.

ReputationRep:
    Exception noted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasta)
    I got screwed over by going to a private school - it got closed a few weeks before exams, we were left with nothing, which wouldn't happen in a state school. You've not got protection of quality of teaching in a private school - anybody can teach in a private school, you don't need a degree or anything.
    hehe, I'd be a lot more worried about the quality and standard of teaching in most state schools than in private schools

ReputationRep:

In University, they actually have to think for themselves and get from A to B on public transport rather than their coach that picks them up from their doorstop. Everything is spoonfed for them.
    Which Private schools have you seen that are like this?

I certainly don't get picked up by coach - I go in with the majority of London school kids on the tube or bus (and yes - a London bus, not some private coach company). The sporting facilities aren't exactly great at my school - we've got one pitch which is used for all sports, and it's hardly turfed every morning.

And where does this generalisation of spoonfeeding come from. In my personal experince, I haven't been spoonfed; instead pushed far beyond what I would need to know. For example, in Year 9, when I started at Westminster, I was taught far beyond what I would need in French, where I was taught the subjunctive, which is actually AS level standard. And if you didn't learn it, you would be left behind, and probably punished. The thing is that there is a huge incentive to learn, or rather a huge deterrent for not-learning, since we know that the school has a lot of power, and could eat up our weekend if they felt like it (e.g. by "awarding" SAP - Saturday Afternoon Punishment).

And I don't take going to a Private school for granted - I feel priviledged to go where I'm going, and I'm sure that if you had the chance to go to one, you would take it.

Why does everyone have to be so bitter about this?

ReputationRep:
    I think I win: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_School

Not private, not state (as in comp) - but Grammar: the happy medium.

Andrew

p.s. foxo - I suspect your parents would be better off as you wont be needing to pay fees at Uni (if you stay up there?)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.