Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Personally I wouldn't mind seeing private schools abolished, though that'll never happen, it's hard enough to have fox hunting banned!

Why should one kid be in a class of 15, with all the top notch equipment, whilst another kid is in a class of 35 with just an out of date textbook and stressed out teacher when the only difference between the two is that one has richer parents?

It makes no sense.

Sure w/c people can save up and send their kids ot private schooling, but they shouldn't have to sacrifice other things to do that, a good education should be free.

I'm not attacking private school people, especially since my primary school was private, but I wouldn't send my children to one, I just think it's wrong.
    Ah voila life is unjust. As has been said before, my parents and the parents of many other students here have made or are making great sacrifices to give their kids the best start. Perhaps if the state schools were as good this wouldn't be necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Perhaps if the state schools were as good this wouldn't be necessary.

That just about sums ever-y-thing up.

(Original post by Carl)
    Ah voila life is unjust. As has been said before, my parents and the parents of many other students here have made or are making great sacrifices to give their kids the best start. Perhaps if the state schools were as good this wouldn't be necessary.
    Well, it's hardly the fault of poorer parents that state school aren't as good, so why should they get the negative effects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Perhaps if the state schools were as good this wouldn't be necessary.
    The state sixth form in my area gets the best, or some of the best, results in the country, and people down my road still want their kids at private sixth forms which achieve lesser results instead :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Because life is like that.

If the world was perfect, no one would ever learn anything, the world would be boring. Life is diverse, there are different classes and money = power. It's the way it's always been and the way it always will be.

No, it's not their fault, but unfortunately that's the way the cookie crumbles.

(Original post by Lady_Muck)
    Because life is like that.

If the world was perfect, no one would ever learn anything, the world would be boring. Life is diverse, there are different classes and money = power. It's the way it's always been and the way it always will be.

No, it's not their fault, but unfortunately that's the way the cookie crumbles.
    Well, that's as good a reason to keep private school as you'll ever hear.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's hardly the fault of poorer parents that state school aren't as good, so why should they get the negative effects?
    You want to hear a negative effect? As well as funding another childs education via taxation, my mother made many sacrifices (like holidays and a car) so that I could attend private school. I'm sorry, but private education is not some pie in the sky thing, and with a good investment and/or some difficult sacrifices its open to all. Of course it doesn't help that Labour abolished assisted places just after I started secondary school.

And whoever mentioned good state schools and sixth forms, I don't deny that they exist. However, there aren't any near me, so a private education was the way forward.

(Original post by Carl)
    You want to hear a negative effect? As well as funding another childs education via taxation, my mother made many sacrifices (like holidays and a car) so that I could attend private school. I'm sorry, but private education is not some pie in the sky thing, and with a good investment and/or some difficult sacrifices its open to all. Of course it doesn't help that Labour abolished assisted places just after I started secondary school.

And whoever mentioned good state schools and sixth forms, I don't deny that they exist. However, there aren't any near me, so a private education was the way forward.
    Well yes, I accepted that people need to sacrifice for your private education. My point is that your parents should have got the cars and holidays too, as the education should be good and free, and that should start by concentrating more on state schools, which would happen if politicians children went to them.

ReputationRep:
    Check this out here!

I don't now if its got anythig to do with this topic but i suppose it can add tot he debate.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, I accepted that people need to sacrifice for your private education. My point is that your parents should have got the cars and holidays too, as the education should be good and free, and that should start by concentrating more on state schools, which would happen if politicians children went to them.
    I don't deny that states schools should be good and free, but sadly thats not how it is.....

how do you propose that such a system is created?

(Original post by Carl)
    I don't deny that states schools should be good and free, but sadly thats not how it is.....

how do you propose that such a system is created?
    Firstly ending private schools would help, as more middle class pupils would then be at state schools obviously, and it "may be said" that middle class parents would pester the schools to do things better if they're slacking.

There needs to be more schools, smaller classes, more government funding, hence increased taxes, but it's worth it for this, better on spending taxes on the queen or wars.

It wouldn't be easy, and it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly ending private schools would help, as more middle class pupils would then be at state schools obviously, and it "may be said" that middle class parents would pester the schools to do things better if they're slacking.

There needs to be more schools, smaller classes, more government funding, hence increased taxes, but it's worth it for this, better on spending taxes on the queen or wars.

It wouldn't be easy, and it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be better!
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    I think I win: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_School

Not private, not state (as in comp) - but Grammar: the happy medium.

Andrew

p.s. foxo - I suspect your parents would be better off as you wont be needing to pay fees at Uni (if you stay up there?)
    It's a good school.

ReputationRep:
    I fly CCF (RAF section) cadets around in gliders, and most of these CCF units are from private schools. From my experience, chatting to them, i've come to the conclusion they ARE spoonfed. They are also the most arrogant and lazy people i have met. Ever.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1010)
    I fly CCF (RAF section) cadets around in gliders, and most of these CCF units are from private schools. From my experience, chatting to them, i've come to the conclusion they ARE spoonfed. They are also the most arrogant and lazy people i have met. Ever.

Mark
    I was an CCF RAF cadet at my (private) school and I resent that implication. Where in the country are you?

ReputationRep:
    When the top public schools charge fees on par with family incomes you have got to aks yourself what is wrong with the education system in Britain. It is elitism and should be scrapped. WIll the kids do better in a state school? No I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancsmithsfan)
    When the top public schools charge fees on par with family incomes you have got to aks yourself what is wrong with the education system in Britain. It is elitism and should be scrapped. WIll the kids do better in a state school? No I think not.
    I think you just provided the justification for private schools there...oops.

What is wrong with the education system in Britain is that state schools generally aren't what they should be, hence the need for private schools on the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that even if you choose to send your chilldren to private schools you are still paying taxes for their education, so in effect you are saving the government money so they can spend more per head on each child in the state education system.

Sadly, this world is not perfect. Ideally, there would be no need for private education and no silly stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heninacoop)
    Just remember that even if you choose to send your chilldren to private schools you are still paying taxes for their education, so in effect you are saving the government money so they can spend more per head on each child in the state education system.
    I thought private schools were tax-exempt?

ReputationRep:
    Even if you go to private school your parents still pay normal tax, most likely in the 40% tax bracket. Its almost like a double payment and the state is getting free money in a way.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.