Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I was hoping some ppl on here might be able to help me or give me some advice or something. I am a 17 yr old girl who has never had a boyfriend! How depressing! It's not that I'm ugly or anything - I'm slim, average height, nice hair, eyes and legs....and I think I have a nice personality too. hmmm maybe my nose is too big - thats the only thing i have a problem with about my appearance and maybe thats wat turns guys off.

I never say anything mean or anything that might hurt someones feelings. But I seem to find it so hard to meet guys! It doesn't help that I'm shy either. There have been several guys who have shown interest in me...but I am never interested in the guys who like me. And all the guys I like, dont seem to like me.

I have just come back from a 5 day camping trip with some girl friends. And there was a really lovely sweet hot guy in the tent next to ours. I bumped into him when my friends and I went out on the first night. And I bumped into him again on the second night. Both times we ended up talking to each other for ages and we got on really well and he was just so easy to talk to, really lovely and sweet. Just a gorgeous personality and a gorgeous looking guy!

Even my friends thought he liked me and I liked him. But we didn't talk to each other much at day until the last day (when I had to leave). Yesterday morning we chatted for a bit too. And it turns out he works pretty close to where I live. But although I really liked him I think he only liked me as a friend. He is the same age as me but he said he thought I was older - like 20!

And one night he asked if I'd met anyone while on holiday. I don't think he likes me as more than a friend like I do. And that was depressing. Now I'm back home and my holiday was a bit of a nightmare - none of my friends were getting on. So yeah...now I just feel really depressed. I finally met a guy I really really like (which is a rare occasion) and he didn't seem to like me as much as I liked him and didn't even ask for my number. Hmmm whats so wrong with me? Why do ALL the guys I like not like me and ALL the guys who like me I don't like? Soooo not fair!!! Anyone in the same situation as me or have any advice or comforting words for me? please xxx

And what age bracket do most guys prefer their girls to be in? Do most guys like girls a few yrs younger, or the same age or what? Coz I thought maybe this hot guy thought I was too old (we were only a week apart in age) coz he thought I looked 20 when I'm 17! But my friends think I look 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_gal)
    Well I was hoping some ppl on here might be able to help me or give me some advice or something. I am a 17 yr old girl who has never had a boyfriend! How depressing! It's not that I'm ugly or anything - I'm slim, average height, nice hair, eyes and legs....and I think I have a nice personality too. hmmm maybe my nose is too big - thats the only thing i have a problem with about my appearance and maybe thats wat turns guys off.

I never say anything mean or anything that might hurt someones feelings. But I seem to find it so hard to meet guys! It doesn't help that I'm shy either. There have been several guys who have shown interest in me...but I am never interested in the guys who like me. And all the guys I like, dont seem to like me.

I have just come back from a 5 day camping trip with some girl friends. And there was a really lovely sweet hot guy in the tent next to ours. I bumped into him when my friends and I went out on the first night. And I bumped into him again on the second night. Both times we ended up talking to each other for ages and we got on really well and he was just so easy to talk to, really lovely and sweet. Just a gorgeous personality and a gorgeous looking guy!

Even my friends thought he liked me and I liked him. But we didn't talk to each other much at day until the last day (when I had to leave). Yesterday morning we chatted for a bit too. And it turns out he works pretty close to where I live. But although I really liked him I think he only liked me as a friend. He is the same age as me but he said he thought I was older - like 20!

And one night he asked if I'd met anyone while on holiday. I don't think he likes me as more than a friend like I do. And that was depressing. Now I'm back home and my holiday was a bit of a nightmare - none of my friends were getting on. So yeah...now I just feel really depressed. I finally met a guy I really really like (which is a rare occasion) and he didn't seem to like me as much as I liked him and didn't even ask for my number. Hmmm whats so wrong with me? Why do ALL the guys I like not like me and ALL the guys who like me I don't like? Soooo not fair!!! Anyone in the same situation as me or have any advice or comforting words for me? please xxx

And what age bracket do most guys prefer their girls to be in? Do most guys like girls a few yrs younger, or the same age or what? Coz I thought maybe this hot guy thought I was too old (we were only a week apart in age) coz he thought I looked 20 when I'm 17! But my friends think I look 16.
    tell him how you feel. it cant hurt, and he might like you to!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the real world my dear, most of the time its like that unfortunately. I'm the same way...
    I like a guy= hes not interested
    Guy likes me= I'm not interested.
    Think guy likes me= makes a total ass out of myself
    Think guy doesn't like me= He does and now thinks I don't like him and gives up and moves on.
    Problem is guys can't figure us out, and we can't figure them out.

ReputationRep:
    it may seem like im a stalker if i just turn up at his work. and i dont think he liked me as much. he was really nice but i think he might have been more interested in the little 14 yr olds staying in his tent. he said one of them was his sister in law, lol...dont know how that works...he said it was complicated. he was so cute but im far to shy just to go to his work (about 20 mins drive from my house) and look 4 him and just tell him i like him. he might run away! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Welcome to the real world my dear, most of the time its like that unfortunately. I'm the same way...
    Think guy doesn't like me= He does and now thinks I don't like him and gives up and moves on.
    You have just described my life!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks 4 ur reply....and i agree with u 100%....couldnt be more true. but i think guys should b able 2 pick up on how girls feel. how do u know when a guy likes u? i can never ever tell! and friends will tell me that they think a guy likes me and ill b like "no way" then i start 2 think he might and then i am sure he doesnt....ahhhhh so confusing, isnt it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    You have just described my life!!
    exactly how i feel darl. life stinks!

ReputationRep:
    thanks 4 ur reply....and i agree with u 100%....couldnt be more true. but i think guys should b able 2 pick up on how girls feel. how do u know when a guy likes u? i can never ever tell! and friends will tell me that they think a guy likes me and ill b like "no way" then i start 2 think he might and then i am sure he doesnt....ahhhhh so confusing, isnt it?!
    Well I don't think guys will ever beable to figure out when we like them, unless of course you drop a boulder on their head. However once you get to know a guy you can tell if they like you by the way they act arround you. Their personality changes abit, they may all of a sudden start flirting w/ you and get playful, or start to act quiet. These are just the more obvious and are not always accurate. All and all sometimes you can tell most of the time you can't unless someone comes out and says it. I tend to stick to the safest route and go with something along the lines of "wow, you are really interesting, I'd like to get to know you better." and see how he reacts.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes guys don't want to say they like you so they are complete asses. Most of the time I make the first move and see what happens. If you like guys that are shy and you are shy then nothing will happen. Maybe try somthing new and ask a guy out or tell him how you feel. Even if it freaks him out (which could happen so b prepared) at least you can say you made the first move.

ReputationRep:
    well i think its the guys job to make the first move and the girls job to let him know she is interested so that he isnt scared to make the first move. some of u will disagree with me but this is just my idea. maybe im old fashioned. the guy i met on the camping trip might not have known i even liked him coz i was quite shy. at first i thought he liked me coz he kept talking to me for ages and when he went off he was like "ill be right back" and when i was crying he tried to make me laugh. and he said "we should come into ur tent sometime" and said "its cool how we keep bumping into each other". so he seemed to like me and we agreed on stuff and got along. but then the things that made me think he wasnt interested in me is that when he was walking to the beach with the friends he had gone camping with he was walking with his arm around one of the little 14 yr old girls they were with. but i do know that he doesnt have a g/f. and one of the nights he said to me "are u really 17? i thought u were waaay older like 20 or something" - and so 2 see him with his arm around these young girls and then to think im older made me think he mustnt like me. and also he said "so have u met anyone?" - i dont think he'd ask me that if he was interested. but yesterday morning when i was putting the rubbish out he called my name out so i went into the kitchen and talked to him while he was eating breakfast. then later on we bumped into each other and i just said "hey i like ur hat" and he said "hi i like ur skirt" - i was wearing a mini- and we laughed and then that was the last time i saw him! no number or anything :-( so sad!

ReputationRep:
    Do you honestly think it would have made a difference if he had given you his number, his address or his e-mail address? You'd be exactly where you are now. Just forget about him and get on with things.

ReputationRep:

well i dunno about other guys but in school and college etc etc you always have that peers thing where you only kinda hang with your own age and if you date a year younger your kinda weird but its not murder but any younger the worse it becomes and you'll get mocked for it by your peers so at that age you prefer them to be the same ageish however upon growing up you will start to find you date older and younger people and that people judge yu less for it i know friends and family who have dated up to and past 11 years age gaps but i think it really depends on both of your maturity i.e if your mature and if hes mature enough to respect that your mature it should work out/ For the thing that you cant get a guy i'll be kinda frank guys are smart when they need to be i.e. some ********s try to get in girls pants they're smart in that way that they know how to do it, but when it comes to girls about 80% of us are pretty damn stupid lol my mates could be getting heavily flirted with boobs brushing up against them chat up lines but they may still not pick onto the fact whether she likes them or not they wonder oo i dont wanna mae a fool of myself so say nothing. its also about how you project yourself if you are quiet it will be harder for guys to noyice you, if you act sexy and loud guys will start to see you in that way other than just that quiet nice girl

Im not too sure if this makes any sense to you but oh well I've tried

ReputationRep:

that is very well said.
    Real truth
    cool !!!

ReputationRep:
    hey.......i am 17, and i did not have a gf too..and its not that i am shy or anything....
    we i really do not know the reason !!! lol
    i want to find out though

ReputationRep:
    Thats about the best way I've ever seen that put forward. well done.

ReputationRep:
    Most guys aren't too bothered about age, let me explain. I'm 17, girls that are two or three years younger than me aren't really old enough eg parents won't let them out of the house, so she wouldn't be able to go to the pub with my friends.

When it comes to older girls I'd probably only go with someone a year older than me. I'd say I'm fairly immature for 17 (physically and mentally) and it probably wouldn't work out.

I say probably because it depends on the person - if I meet someone I just get on with then age doesn't matter.

You will find someone eventually so don't stress, people say its better to have 'loved and lost', I disagree. I've been dumped by a girlfriend of two years for one of my best mates. I've bought a girlfriend £40 worth of roses on Valentines day, she got me nothing - which I was ok with. But then she cheated on my 3 days later. That kind of stuff is real depressing when it happens, so just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Also, all guys are complete jerks you gotta remember that!

ReputationRep:
    since i have not yet had a gf, and im 17 (shouldn't really be saying that but hey....), what i say might be wrong.....

anyways, he might have said "have you met anyone yet" to see if there was any risk of him asking you out (he was kinda testing the water).....but upon your reply, if you said that you hadn't, i don't see why he wouldn't have asked you out, kos it seems that he liked you, you don't speak to someone you just met for ages and ages, unless you like them?

if he hadn't had a gf yet, he might not have know what to do in that situations, so could have been overly cautious.

however, i think that it is his loss that he didn't ask you out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    Most guys aren't too bothered about age, let me explain. I'm 17, girls that are two or three years younger than me aren't really old enough eg parents won't let them out of the house, so she wouldn't be able to go to the pub with my friends.

When it comes to older girls I'd probably only go with someone a year older than me. I'd say I'm fairly immature for 17 (physically and mentally) and it probably wouldn't work out.

I say probably because it depends on the person - if I meet someone I just get on with then age doesn't matter.

You will find someone eventually so don't stress, people say its better to have 'loved and lost', I disagree. I've been dumped by a girlfriend of two years for one of my best mates. I've bought a girlfriend £40 worth of roses on Valentines day, she got me nothing - which I was ok with. But then she cheated on my 3 days later. That kind of stuff is real depressing when it happens, so just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Also, all guys are complete jerks you gotta remember that!
    not all guys, speak for yourslef man. LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    not all guys, speak for yourslef man. LOL
    I'm an insensitive arrogant and annoying creep. There we go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    I'm an insensitive arrogant and annoying creep. There we go
    some people are....

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.