The Student Room Group

What does 'working day' mean in respect of universities?

Basically, I've got an essay due tomorrow that I'm not going to hand in on time. Technically it's still possible to do it but I think I would be better off to take a penalty to hand it in late and complete it to a higher standard.

My module/department handbook states that: "University policy requires that a penalty of 5 marks to be deducted from the actual mark achieved for each working day the assignment is late until 0 is reached."

As the deadline is Friday, am I correct in assuming that I will only be docked 5 marks if I hand it in Monday- as the next logical 'working day'- or does the term usually include Saturdays in university circles?

(Anyone with particular knowledge/experience at the University of Birmingham would be especially helpful)
No idea about B'ham, but unless your uni is in the office over the weekend, then Monday should only be 5 marks, as you can't hand something in if no one is in the office.
I don't think Monday will count as a working day as it's a Bank Holiday, but check with your lecturer/tutor first.
Reply 3
Zebrastripes
No idea about B'ham, but unless your uni is in the office over the weekend, then Monday should only be 5 marks, as you can't hand something in if no one is in the office.

marcusmerehay
I don't think Monday will count as a working day as it's a Bank Holiday, but check with your lecturer/tutor first.

Ah I'd completely forgotten Monday was a Bank Holiday- so technically Tuesday it could be handed in with minus 5 marks then. Sunday and Bank Holiday are definitely not 'working days'; my real worry was Saturday as its not exactly specified anywhere. Ta for replying.
Reply 4
I think you should be okay with Tuesday, my uni (UCL) takes off 10% per day late, and it is clearly specified that it is per day and not per working day. As in, hand it in on Monday when the deadline was Friday and you'll lose 30%. :eek: Since they have actually said working day you should be okay...
Can't believe some unis let you hand in assignments late! At my uni if you don't hand it in on time you don't hand it in at all.
Original post by Ipso Facto
Basically, I've got an essay due tomorrow that I'm not going to hand in on time. Technically it's still possible to do it but I think I would be better off to take a penalty to hand it in late and complete it to a higher standard.

My module/department handbook states that: "University policy requires that a penalty of 5 marks to be deducted from the actual mark achieved for each working day the assignment is late until 0 is reached."

As the deadline is Friday, am I correct in assuming that I will only be docked 5 marks if I hand it in Monday- as the next logical 'working day'- or does the term usually include Saturdays in university circles?

(Anyone with particular knowledge/experience at the University of Birmingham would be especially helpful)

Did they only take 5 marks off?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending