Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wow, quite a few peeps! And most seem to be in radnor too...

Cheers for the reply nikk - most thorough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oziris)
    When i got accepted in February there was only you i thought was going, I was quite surprised to find a thread with some other people going.
    I'm actually in my second year there, but yeah I was surpised as well! It's weird there isn't alot more Plymouth students here since the university is one of the biggest in the country (total student number wise).

So anyone studying a Biology-related course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Wow, this time last year there was like 1 other person I could find that was going to Plymouth! It must have gone up the league tables or something!
    Yes, a few months back, I was also surprised to see only two Plymothian peeps when I searched for Plymouth threads in TSR. Regarding the increase in popularity of courses in Plymouth, I would say that I've chosen Plymouth because TECHNOLOGY department has very high reputation and, on top of that, Civil Engineering scored 23/24 (Excellent) in the latest TQA.

I think, apart from all the good and attractive qualities of Plymouth uni, the main reason for the increase in number of TSR members going to Plymouth uni is due to the increase in popularity of TSR website. Maybe last year, Plymouthian students didn't know about TSR quite well.

I hope, if all the peeps here support for the creation of a new subforum of Plymouth uni, we can make the best use of TSR by helping each other out and by exchanging views and comments about anything that happens in our uni life.

P.S.: Click here to give your support for the creation of a new sub-forum of Plymouth Uni in TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do Geography and am in St Thomas court, which i was kinda annoyed about at first but it does look nice! anyone else in these halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    I'm going to do Geography and am in St Thomas court, which i was kinda annoyed about at first but it does look nice! anyone else in these halls?
    my friend is going to be in those halls.

ReputationRep:
    So where are your guys/gals hometowns? How come you choose Plymouth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    I'm aware this question is mainly for UK students, but still I'm replying.

I'm an international student and my hometown is Dhaka (Bangladesh). I've chosen Plymouth because of it's high reputation, especially in Civil Engineering. Another good reason for choosing this uni is that it asks for comparitively less tuition fees (£7,700 p.a.) probably because it's still a new uni, and the living expense (i.e. £6000 p.a.) is also comparitively cheaper than many other places in UK.

ReputationRep:
    Im from Padiham, Lancashire - a little town near Burnley - yes where they had the race riots a few years ago. I wanted to go plymouth as im applying to join the RAF and i need to get involved in more outdoor activities - unlike many other universities Plymouth has various outdoor activities like diving and sailing and dartmoor national park is nearby. It also just be good to get away from the wet and often grey north. I have also heard that plymouth is a good uni - one of the top 3 new unis. I didnt really take any notice of the league tables just what i 4t i could get from the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Im from Worthing, near Brighton. I didnt get very many ucas points (170), so Plymouth was one of the few i could get into, so i looked around and i liked the look of the course, it was between Plymouth and Birmingham college of food tourism and something else. So it came down to being closer together and in a nicer location.

It was worth the 6 hour train journeys to get to the open days

ReputationRep:
    Now my turn

I choose Plymouth because:

- It's biological sciences department is extremely highly rated in both teaching and research (I think I am right in saying that it is the countries leading university in Marine Biology research - certainly most marine biology books seem to be written by our lecturers lol). Though it isn't rated hugely in the normal league tables, I believe this is because it is still a new university. It certainly has better facilities than some other top 10 universities that I looked at.

- It is now a medical school and I am interested in studying medicine there after my degree. I figured that if I get accepted, it would be best to study there because I am used to the surroundings and know alot of people etc.

- I live in Cornwall and so it is not too far away from home, but just far enough (about 60-70 miles)

So there you have it! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Could you please give your views and suggestions in this thread?

ReputationRep:
    im from Frome in Somerset n chose plymouth cos well er im not sure why. but yea it had a media art course and thats what i wanted to do!

ReputationRep:
    Im from Reading and partly chose plymouth because the Geography course looked good, very varied. When I arrived in the city for the openday i though "this place is horrible" me and my dad actually considered just turning round and going home. I'm glad we didn't tho because as the day went on the place really grew on me and i got a really good vibe about, which i hadn't from anywhere else!

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that there is no Asian communities living in Plymouth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
    Is it true that there is no Asian communities living in Plymouth?
    The Asian community isn't as big as places such as London, but there is still a sizeable number of people. There are plenty of Asian students and normal residents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    The Asian community isn't as big as places such as London, but there is still a sizeable number of people. There are plenty of Asian students and normal residents.
    If there're some asian people around me then it's fine!

ReputationRep:
    To get noticed by the moderators, I would like to suggest all of you (Plymouthian peeps) to mention the name of the uni in your signatures. I think, in that way, the mods can track all the uni students (or the prospective ones) for the creation of Plymouth sub-forum.

Cheers,
    Ashique

ReputationRep:
    ive already sed this in another thread bt seeing as we dont have a plymouth sub forum il say it again.

god im dreading my first day seeing as i have to arrive a day before everybody else. I also have to make the journey form Manchester to Plymouth by myself as my parents cant get time off work.At least im flying so it wont take long.bt wiv flying it means that i cant take all my stuff so im gonna have to wait til d weekend for my parents to bring down my other stuff. I suppose im gonna have to eat takeaways 4 d first few days and go out all d time. Im not even gonna b able 2 bring my duvet! Its just the first day where im gonna b all by myself hundreds of miles away from home that i dread. any1 goin 2 plymouth and gonna b there on wednesday the 14th?

ReputationRep:
    what day are u going? im getting there on the 14th Sept.

ReputationRep:
    can we put posters up on the walls?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
University of Plymouth resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.