Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im gong on the 14th september - wat halls u in? dont av a clue bout posters - some unis say u can av 1 wall 4 posters others say u cant av posters. - im jus gonna put them up and if i get told 2 take them down then i will

ReputationRep:
    In Radnor (and I suspect all halls), we were told we are not allowed to put posters on the walls (as it leaves marks etc). You do get two big noticeboard that you can put posters on though.

I just stuck mine up anyway because it looked a bit bare without them. I did get fined £50 at the end of the year for the marks but it is worth it!

ReputationRep:
    lol £50 fine 4 poster -that a bit extreme - hmm i think il jus stick 2 using d notice board

ReputationRep:
    im in Pilgrim. block 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmclaney)
    lol £50 fine 4 poster -that a bit extreme - hmm i think il jus stick 2 using d notice board
    Yeah its a bit of a cheek since I heard they repaint all the rooms each summer anyhow! So I don't see why a couple of marks makes any difference! :confused:

Oh, just to let you guys know, it may be worth bringing one of those thin mattress thingies that you can put on top of your bed. I say this because the mattress in your room with be about 10 micrometres thick! lol. I used an inflatable mattress

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing wrong with sticking them on back of the door or cupboards tho?

ReputationRep:
    Nikk i was just wonderin - i think it was u who b4 sed on ur first day u made invitations and invited ppl in ur halls 2 a party - where did u av this party? is there any place other than ur flat 2 av a party? sounds like a gud idea tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackhalen)
    theres nothing wrong with sticking them on back of the door or cupboards tho?
    You are not meant to, but go ahead and do it because blue-tak doesn't leave marks on them so you won't get fined (the wardens don't care if they see you have posters up, you will only potentially get fined when you leave halls and they inspect the rooms for damage).

By the way, don't be fooled into thinking that white-tak will not leave marks on a white wall because it does! As I found out! Mositure from the white-tak seems to be absorbed by the paint and leaves a discoloured mark, even if you scrape all the actually white-tak off.

Just for your info, the wardens are also funny about people propping their room doors open (fire hazzard). I used to get annoyed at this because it seems anti-social to leave your door shut. You can get fined for having your door open but you have to get a few warnings first (so my advice would be to just prop your door open for the first few days whilst you get to know people and only stop if you are about to get a fine!).

ReputationRep:
    Nikk i was just wonderin - i think it was u who b4 sed on ur first day u made invitations and invited ppl in ur halls 2 a party - where did u av this party? is there any place other than ur flat 2 av a party? sounds like a gud idea tho
    Well when we did it, we held the party in my mates flat. Basically, after the first day I had only met the people in my flat and a couple others. We decided to hold it in my mates flat (the kitchens are quite huge in Radnor and can fit a lot of people in). We printed out an invite saying something like, "Party in Flat 4 tonight at 8pm so everyone can get to know each other. Everyone is invited, bring lots of alcohol!". We shoved that through each flat door during the day.

The whole block turned up and it was great to get to know everyone. I can't remember what we did, but I think after a few hours of drinking and chatting, we headed to the union or something like that!

ReputationRep:
    Well when we did it, we held the party in my mates flat. Basically, after the first day I had only met the people in my flat and a couple others. We decided to hold it in my mates flat (the kitchens are quite huge in Radnor and can fit a lot of people in). We printed out an invite saying something like, "Party in Flat 4 tonight at 8pm so everyone can get to know each other. Everyone is invited, bring lots of alcohol!". We shoved that through each flat door during the day.
    cool il av 2 give it a go

how were d wardens when they came 2 ppl stayin over in ur room? i read u had 2 ask permission - did they even kno if some1 in ur room?

ReputationRep:
    cool il av 2 give it a go

how were d wardens when they came 2 ppl stayin over in ur room? i read u had 2 ask permission - did they even kno if some1 in ur room?
    They don't actually have any idea what goes on with regard to that sort of thing. Feel free to have people stay over whenever (I did and no one ever noticed / said anything).

The wardens tend to hover around and wonder into flats quite alot in the first month, but after that (provided you haven't caused them too much hassle) they pretty much leave you alone. Our warden used to just come in once a day and that was only for like 1 minute to deliver the post to the kitchen.

I have no idea if you are into this sort of thing, but if you smoke weed then be a bit careful about doing it in your room. Quite a few people got caught last year because when they do fire drills a warden checks each room, and if it is stinking of weed then you are in trouble lol.

ReputationRep:
    just wondering wat were d propotions of girls and boys in ur flat.

ReputationRep:
    just wondering wat were d propotions of girls and boys in ur flat.
    50:50 in my flat. It is meant to be pretty even in each flat, but I do know of one flat that was all boys. It was nicknamed 'the house of trousers'.

ReputationRep:
    50:50 in my flat. It is meant to be pretty even in each flat, but I do know of one flat that was all boys. It was nicknamed 'the house of trousers'.

Lol god i hope i dont get a flat full of lads - full of girls yeah that b cool.

ReputationRep:
    Lol god i hope i dont get a flat full of lads - full of girls yeah that b cool.
    FYI - the walls are well sound proofed as well! Oh and the wet rooms are much better with two instead of one! lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Plymouth has reading weeks?or does it depend on your course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    Anyone know if Plymouth has reading weeks?or does it depend on your course?
    It does depend on your course. It seemed as if all the arts courses (history etc) had a couple reading weeks whereas the science dudes didn't get one at all!

Though the reading weeks for other courses naturally meant that the science people had less lectures than normal because that seems a popular time for lecturers to go on holiday lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Im starting Plymouth Uni in a couple of weeks time, doing Digital Art & Technology in the Technology Faculty obviously

I applied through clearing, so couldnt get into Halls which I was really pissed about. However I had a look around accomodation on the clearing open day and found a 28 bedroom student house in Greenbank terrace (2min walk from north hill) which I hope will be fun with all the other students

The house looks a bit old and dated furniture which was a concern at the time, but i dont care really im sure it will be great fun regardless!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benje)
    Hey guys,
    Im starting Plymouth Uni in a couple of weeks time, doing Digital Art & Technology in the Technology Faculty obviously

I applied through clearing, so couldnt get into Halls which I was really pissed about. However I had a look around accomodation on the clearing open day and found a 28 bedroom student house in Greenbank terrace (2min walk from north hill) which I hope will be fun with all the other students

The house looks a bit old and dated furniture which was a concern at the time, but i dont care really im sure it will be great fun regardless!!
    sounds like you'll have a laugh in a house that big! I haven't been to plymouth for ages, it will probably be wierd turning up on the 14th to stay permanently!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, my name is Nick and i'll be starting a BSc Geography (Hons) at Plymouth in September.

I got into the university when I met my conditional offer but the Halls are all now taken and i've yet to find out where i'll be living. I would probably think i'll be living in share houses like you Benje, we'll have to see. My biggest worry at the moment is that I may be placed somewhere on my own away from other first-years, which is a less than ideal situation as it would make it slightly more difficult meeting new people.

Either way, I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
University of Plymouth resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.