The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
x-lolly-x
i reckon its true...people probably thought it was so controversial because it went against the teachings of the church and everything becomes a lie...

So you attach more credibility to a Dan Brown novel than the Church?
Howard
So you attach more credibility to a Dan Brown novel than the Church?

I frankly don't think either of them have any credibility.:biggrin:
Reply 42
x-lolly-x
i reckon its true...people probably thought it was so controversial because it went against the teachings of the church and everything becomes a lie...

Well, for one thing, the novel has increased Scottish tourism. Do you know how many people now go to the mentioned Cathedral in (I can't remember exactly where without going to get the book)?! They try and find the pentagram on the floor and such like. This is also similar with Glastonbury out of festival season.
Reply 43
i think some is true and some fiction, mostly fiction.
i think it would be good if it were true, just for the chase of searching for it! i thought angel and demons was a lot better, as it finished!
Reply 45
x-lolly-x

you only think that it is true cause it has never been mentioned in the same way before and cause it go against the church something that connects so many people. i can't beleive that you think that it is true! i think that some parts are but most of it is fiction. it is a boring book, poorly written and it has got more attention than it deserves.
Reply 46
SolInvincitus
I frankly don't think either of them have any credibility.:biggrin:

Oooh, controversial. Question: Do you think Mary Magadalene was married to Jesus, or "courting", whatever they did in ye olde days? The Da Vinci Code aside, has this question ever been answered, with proof?
Reply 47
_EMMA_
it is a boring book, poorly written and it has got more attention than it deserves.

This is a harsh comment. I believe the novel itself is good. It's interesting, it makes you think and question stuff, which can never be a bad thing. It's not Shakespeare, certainly, but it is still a good read. You could only say it is boring if you find the Holy Grail and other such biblical stories boring, which, if the case, why read it in the first place. It is a thriller, after all.

As an aside - I believe Deception Point is Brown's best novel.
Eddie, I'd recommend that you should read the Muslims and Cleopatra thread... it begs for a reply
The Mary Magdalene question: Utter lies

I have been looking around and I find so many funny beliefs: If you are goodlooking and never date anyone, you are apparently a homosexual. And a girl and a boy can never be platonic friends. I think that some people just find it hard to believe that people can remain celibate or have platonic relations
Reply 50
Eddie K
Oooh, controversial. Question: Do you think Mary Magadalene was married to Jesus, or "courting", whatever they did in ye olde days? The Da Vinci Code aside, has this question ever been answered, with proof?

Well, anybody with the slightest knowledge of the NT knows that Jesus wasn't married.
Reply 51
Eddie K
Well, for one thing, the novel has increased Scottish tourism. Do you know how many people now go to the mentioned Cathedral in (I can't remember exactly where without going to get the book)?! They try and find the pentagram on the floor and such like. This is also similar with Glastonbury out of festival season.

Rosslyn Chapel
Howard
Well, anybody with the slightest knowledge of the NT knows that Jesus wasn't married.

Incorrect. The prevailing understanding from leading theologians and scholars is that we cannot say Jesus was married, but we cannot say that he wasn't either. The Bible doesn't mention anything either way.
Reply 53
Eddie K
This is a harsh comment. I believe the novel itself is good. It's interesting, it makes you think and question stuff, which can never be a bad thing. It's not Shakespeare, certainly, but it is still a good read. You could only say it is boring if you find the Holy Grail and other such biblical stories boring, which, if the case, why read it in the first place. It is a thriller, after all.

As an aside - I believe Deception Point is Brown's best novel.

ok maybe it was a bit harsh, i'm in a bad mood.
i read it cause so many people said that it was good, and it made me questions stuff but i don't like the way it is written. it is written as facts like you are on a lecture, there was so much knowledge to take in (fiction or not) that i found it hard to read just for the fun of it.

beleive it or not but today i got a going away present from a friend, a book, Deception Point.
Reply 54
fleur-de-lis
And a girl and a boy can never be platonic friends. I think that some people just find it hard to believe that people can remain celibate or have platonic relations

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but I agree with the view that if you find a girl attractive a completely platonic friendship can never be had. Obviously, it is perceived as a platonic relationship by all outsiders and even by the two people but human nature being what it is, (assuming the two people to be heterosexual of course) then the attraction will always be there. We are animals after all, the beauty (if I can call it that) of the human race is that we are able to suppress and hide feelings.

Anyway... Back to the book...
Reply 55
marrige is one of the sacraments, aren't it?
Reply 56
_EMMA_
ok maybe it was a bit harsh, i'm in a bad mood.
i read it cause so many people said that it was good, and it made me questions stuff but i don't like the way it is written. it is written as facts like you are on a lecture, there was so much knowledge to take in (fiction or not) that i found it hard to read just for the fun of it.

beleive it or not but today i got a going away present from a friend, a book, Deception Point.

I think you might enjoy that one, it's a little less preachy. As for your point about "it being written as facts like you are on a lecture", this is probably why it has become such a phenomenon because people don't really know whether they're reading a lecture journal or novel. This may also be why people don't just accept it as a novel and get wound up about it?
Reply 57
SolInvincitus
Incorrect. The prevailing understanding from leading theologians and scholars is that we cannot say Jesus was married, but we cannot say that he wasn't either. The Bible doesn't mention anything either way.

Well, that's just ridiculous. The bible doesn't tell us lots of things about Jesus. We don't know if he had a withered left arm or was blind in one eye do we? That's not a reason to entertain the idea that He was a partially sighted cripple. This is artistic licence gone mad. :rolleyes:
Reply 58
_EMMA_
marrige is one of the sacraments, aren't it?

Yes. Well, narriage in a Church is. It's one of the five "lesser sacraments"
Reply 59
i don't know why people get so worked up about this.

i mean, according to the book, mary magdelene's body is buried underneath the louvre, which obviously isn't true...

i just enjoyed the book since the plot twists were pretty cool - i didn't come back with any thoughts about how the church was evil, i just felt slightly more sympathetic towards women.

Latest

Trending

Trending