Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing this when I re-apply.....how is it viewed by Cambridge? Anyone have any experience of re-applying to Oxbridge at all? I honestly feel I should have got it this time round and some sort of mistake was made; I can think of some fantastic people from my school who got it when they re-applied...

As long as I work for 3 A's and have the world's best gap year, I think I'll get over this. It was just the shock; my teachers, friends and family were all so confident and in some small way maybe I've let them down (as well as myself) by really messing up at interview. Maybe I picked a competitive college (10 people for 2 places)...I don't mind which college, the course seems so right for me at Cambridge.

(Original post by Stewie)
    Maybe I picked a competitive college (10 people for 2 places)...I don't mind which college, the course seems so right for me at Cambridge.
    that isnt competitive. i had 37 for 4 and i'm sure others here had much higher.

i don't think they object or particularly mind people reapplying, indeed i've heard they have a higher sucess rate, however you must consider that there are quite a few people on here who've reapplied and been rejected. next year is also likely to be even more competitive than this one..

you have to ask yourself do you really want to take a gap year? wasting a year of your life for a 1 in 5 chance of going to a place that you may or may not like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    that isnt competitive. i had 37 for 4 and i'm sure others here had much higher.

i don't think they object or particularly mind people reapplying, indeed i've heard they have a higher sucess rate, however you must consider that there are quite a few people on here who've reapplied and been rejected. next year is also likely to be even more competitive than this one..

you have to ask yourself do you really want to take a gap year? wasting a year of your life for a 1 in 5 chance of going to a place that you may or may not like.

I'm looking forward to the idea of a gap year; Edinburgh is my second choice and if I turn them down this time round, would they not offer me a place next time round? I think with the experience I've had, I'll be a lot less nervous when I re-apply........just need to pick a college and hear other people's experiences.

ReputationRep:
    I reapplied and got into Cambridge for ASNC this year, after applying to St Catharine's last year and swearing I would never subject myself to the same trauma again. Reapplying is probably a good thing to do if you know that you couldn't live with wondering whether you could have made it if you'd only given it another shot, but try not to invest too much emotion into the process second (or even first) time round. Give your all to preparing intellectually, but try and remain emotionally detached, and definitely make sure you have an attractive uni alternative should things go awry.

On the matter of college choice, I'd advise going on open days at several colleges you might want to apply to and doing head counts and talking to people and trying to gauge how many people seem to be going for each subject. The numbers on an open day are obviously not going to be representative of the exact numbers that end up applying, but they can be useful in suggesting the general popularity of a college ie double the number turned up at the Newnham open day than the New Hall open day, so clearly Newnham was going to be a heck of a lot more competative than New Hall. The overall popularity of a college can also affect your chances - you are directly competing with those going for your subject, but if a college is very oversubscribed, you could end up being pushed out by someone applying for a different subject. Chose the biggest, most undersubscribed college possible.

If you're applying for a non-school subject like Oriental Studies or ASNC, make sure you know what the attitudes of individual colleges are towards these smaller subjects, and also try to get hold of the figures for how many people the colleges have taken for these subjects in recent years. Some colleges might be reluctant to take people for these subjects - I know of a person who applied to Corpus Christi in about 1999 for ASNC, and the college didn't take anyone in that year (she wasn't the only person applying, either).

Also, if your subject recommends that people take certain A levels ie languages for ASNC, and you didn't, make sure to contact individual tutors and ask their views on your chances. Also, don't take anything they say at face value - if you know your application has particular weaknesses, use your gap year to plug the holes ie by taking language courses. On a similar note, ask to read the interview feedback that the college will send to your school if requested, and take on board, and act on, its contents by addressing any specific weaknesses mentioned.

Lastly, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have taken a gap year to reapply but as I was already having one and decided to change subjects I decided to give it a shot, I'm not sure I would recommend it for the sole purpose of reapplying, it might not work out!

ReputationRep:
    I honestly feel I should have got it this time round and some sort of mistake was made
    Errrrrrr, why do you feel this way?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing this when I re-apply.....how is it viewed by Cambridge? Anyone have any experience of re-applying to Oxbridge at all? I honestly feel I should have got it this time round and some sort of mistake was made; I can think of some fantastic people from my school who got it when they re-applied...

As long as I work for 3 A's and have the world's best gap year, I think I'll get over this. It was just the shock; my teachers, friends and family were all so confident and in some small way maybe I've let them down (as well as myself) by really messing up at interview. Maybe I picked a competitive college (10 people for 2 places)...I don't mind which college, the course seems so right for me at Cambridge.
    Very best of luck with your reapplication. As long as you've decided what's best for you, that's the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    When I was on an open day in Oxford (I know it's not identical but I imagine the process is similar) they said that reapplications are fine and quite a few people get in and do well that way. But they said that you absolutely should not reapply to the same college (presumably because it's just weird for the tutors, especially given that they've already rejected you once).

Don't know if that's helpful or not...

ReputationRep:
    No one knows what the size of the "fee dodging" rush will be, but it should certainly be substantial. Remember that there will be many other people applying to each one of your choices. If you were rejected again by oxbridge there is a greater chance you'll be rejected by your other choices and end up somewhere lower down in your pecking order.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2004
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.