Turn on thread page Beta

Desktop PC or laptop??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello good people of UKL.

Next year i hope to be going to university and am in the need of guidance. I need to buy a computer of somesort. My friends all have laptops and they seem more accessable and are everyone who has one recommends them. However, both people ive spoke to who build computers say i should take your standard desktop pc as these are easy to repair (I like my web utilities which sometimes lead to minor errors, though i can often correct them myself). What do current university students recommend based on their experience of uni so far??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)

Next year i hope to be going to university and am in the need of guidance. I need to buy a computer of somesort. My friends all have laptops and they seem more accessable and are everyone who has one recommends them. However, both people ive spoke to who build computers say i should take your standard desktop pc as these are easy to repair (I like my web utilities which sometimes lead to minor errors, though i can often correct them myself). What do current university students recommend based on their experience of uni so far??
    I would personaly buy a desktop as they much cheaper you can get a surprisingly good one for £100. Also nothing really goes wrong with them, they are much more reliable than laptops.

What exactly do you want to do with the computer? What is your budget?

ReputationRep:

I personnally always go for laptops as it is so easy to take it round a mates, take it into the lab, or take it home when you are on christmas holls etc. If you have a fairly new laptop then there is no need to worry about anything going wrong with it as it should be under warrenty. In any case, my laptop is now quite old (about 4 years) and is still going strong without any problems!

ReputationRep:
    Im doing law so research on the net, typing up, your standard computer uses, i dont really have a budget, it depends on the result of this poll...hehe

ReputationRep:
    One thing I would say whether you are getting a laptop or desktop is to get a Sony - although slightly more expensive they are supremely well built and configured. They have quality ozzing out of them unlike many other brands that I won't mention...

ReputationRep:
    a laptop becuase they are a lot more fun

Where are you going to do law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    One thing I would say whether you are getting a laptop or desktop is to get a Sony - although slightly more expensive they are supremely well built and configured. They have quality ozzing out of them unlike many other brands that I won't mention...
    The make is very important on laptops, the cheap crap like advent is just cheap far easts importants. I have got one and I have had to replace half the componts which is quite tricky to do a laptop.

I would persoanly got either Dell, Sony, IBM, Toshiba, Compaq and HP.

ReputationRep:
    wherever will have me! I am praying for durham but no notice as of yet to their decision, so far i have offers from newcastle leeds and leicester but im holding out for that nice admissions tutor at durham to decide he wants me...

ReputationRep:
    I'm also wonderin the same thing except i'm studying chemistry, i really think the main thing to consider is do you need the portability, if you dont you could get a dam good desktop computer for the same price as a laptop, any newcomputer you buy will be suitable for the tasks you suggest.

As for repairability, laptops are not easy to repair physically but the are no different virtually, and they are no more or less likley to have software problems than laptops, as this is the place most computer faults occur i wouldn't worry too much about repairability.

ReputationRep:
    You also forgot one option, a mac weather it be laptop or desktop, although reasonable expensive, you can get good educational discounts and get a more powerful computer than an equivalent priced pc and also they hardly ever crash and if you do have a hardware fault they have very good tech support who will usually repair it. The newish eMac can have more than 1Gb of ram with 1GHz processer for >£1000. And a 1Ghz processer in a mac is equivalent to about a 2Ghz in a pc (dont ask how, but it is)

ReputationRep:
    Bad experiences with macs in the past have put me off the option, i prefer my windows computers with everysingle thing you do beeing sent to microsoft way in redmond for them to check im not a terrorist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    You also forgot one option, a mac weather it be laptop or desktop, although reasonable expensive, you can get good educational discounts and get a more powerful computer than an equivalent priced pc and also they hardly ever crash and if you do have a hardware fault they have very good tech support who will usually repair it. The newish eMac can have more than 1Gb of ram with 1GHz processer for >£1000. And a 1Ghz processer in a mac is equivalent to about a 2Ghz in a pc (dont ask how, but it is)
    I hate Macs, I found that new operating system based on the FreeBSB kernal to be quite unstable. Windows XP is more stable in my opinion. Also I found the Emacs on photoshop quite a bit slower than my 1.66Ghz AMD Athlon 2000+ CPU.

ReputationRep:
    Well

Laptop -> Easy to carry around, especially if you want to take your lecture notes direct to computer? or round to mates places etc etc

Desktop -> Much easier to work on, better for same price, can play games on them! for when you are bored . Cheaper and easier to fix.

I would get desktop myself, because you can easily print out your notes if you need to take em places.

Also, realistically, your lecture notes will have to be done on paper anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I know but i like to type up all i learn as my writing is terrible, i would even go as far to say i have a phobia of it!

ReputationRep:
    I have a laptop for uni - I study chemistry and just need it for word processing and internet stuff. I decided to go with a laptop rather than a desktop mainly because of the space in my room, and also portability. With all the other crap I have on my desk in my room it would barely be possible to get a desktop on there, and have enough room for working etc. Also its better for when you come home, I have all my work on my laptop, and can carry on with the stuff i need to finish, rather than saving it all onto a disk, bringing it home and doing it on the computer and then saving it all again.

I got my laptop from the IT Shop at my uni (it was just under £950, but didn't come with office or any other extras), and according to my dad its a very good spec for that price (though don't ask me cos i wouldn't know!).

ReputationRep:
    windows computers with everysingle thing you do beeing sent to microsoft way in redmond for them to check im not a terrorist...
    No! Is it true??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Well Laptop -> Easy to carry around, especially if you want to take your lecture notes direct to computer? or round to mates places etc etc
    Not one person on my course takes a laptop to lectures, and my housemate who does law said nobody on his course does either. He does type up his notes onto his laptop, but only so he can read them easier! I don't do that though - i have too many diagrams in my notes.

I would get desktop myself, because you can easily print out your notes if you need to take em places.
    I have a printer which plugs into one of the USB ports on my laptop, its just as easy to print stuff off as on a desktop.

Also I haven't had any problems with my laptop so far, its very reliable. I have had to have it fixed once but that was due to an incident involving liquid spillage and was entirely my fault...

ReputationRep:
    I'd like a mac laptop

ReputationRep:
    It really is all down to what you want it for. I bought a desktop purely because I wanted the best graphics card available and I didnt want to worry about overheating because I leave it on almost permanently while at uni.

If you are going to get a laptop I wold recommend a Clevo based system. Someone commented about cheap laptops not being any good because they are far east imports but Im afraid that is pretty much the truth with all common makes. Most of sony's product line (all that are below about £1700) are made in taiwan and has a sony badge stuck on it. Only the top of their line they make themselves. Toshiba are overpriced for what they are, but they are about the most reliable (im not sure where toshibas are made.

Also, I have already used about 70GB on my pc in 3 months and you will struggle to find a laptop with a HD that size.

It really does depend on how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for.

Go to

http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

for some good advice on laptops, or just ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Well

Laptop -> Easy to carry around, especially if you want to take your lecture notes direct to computer? or round to mates places etc etc
    People who take laptops to lectures are the most annoying people. Especially if it is old or overheats frequently and the loudest fan you've ever heard kicks in every 30 seconds.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.