This discussion is closed.
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chris_)
People who take laptops to lectures are the most annoying people. Especially if it is old or overheats frequently and the loudest fan you've ever heard kicks in every 30 seconds.
Absolutely true!

Of 400 people in my lectures, I've only seen three with laptops. I'd take mine but I can't be bothered to lug it around all day and I find it easier to highlight things and draw diagrams on paper.

But, I'd still advise taking a laptop to uni rather than a desktop computer - desktop computers take up too much space (especially if the room you're going to be in is as small as the ones here!). You can always put a laptop away in a drawer when you're not using it.

As others have said, it's easier to take back in the holidays. This might not seem much of an issue at first, but you'll need to revise over the holidays and if all your notes are on your pc that you have to leave at uni then it makes things are a little harder for you! Also, nearly everyone goes home for Christmas and Easter - it's reassuring to be able to take your computer home easily, knowing that you're not leaving valuable things in your room.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've not seen anyone in my lectures with a laptop either.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Take a laptop and if you are still into video games, take your console with you (that's if you have one ). I agree with whoever said that desktops are much easier to fix but they are much more difficult to carry around. Also, you might need to meet people and bring your work with you for a presentation or something.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was thinking of doing a laptop, but considering that it is prety much hell to lug a desktop around, it is not really worth it. I will buy a nice laptop, suitable for playing games of course...
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Take a laptop and if you are still into video games, take your console with you (that's if you have one ).
Yeah, I have a friend at uni who brought her GameCube with her.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Yeah, I have a friend at uni who brought her GameCube with her.
Hmmm, and I suppose you go round to her room for the Gamecube only...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Console = TV = choice between tv licence of risking getting caught (admittedly a smaller risk than the BBC would like you to think) = having people popping into your room to watch all the popular shows.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Console = TV = choice between tv licence of risking getting caught (admittedly a smaller risk than the BBC would like you to think) = having people popping into your room to watch all the popular shows.
= install protable tv card onto laptop = free tv.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
= install protable tv card onto laptop = free tv.
Although tv cards are generally cheaper for desktops than laptops but that was my point yes...

I'm not sure if a tv card on a laptop would make it usable for hooking up to a console but to be honest the whole thing seems to throwing money at an expensive problem instead of taking the sensible, cheaper option

:shrug:
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Although tv cards are generally cheaper for desktops than laptops but that was my point yes...

I'm not sure if a tv card on a laptop would make it usable for hooking up to a console but to be honest the whole thing seems to throwing money at an expensive problem instead of taking the sensible, cheaper option

:shrug:
Laptop hooked to a console?

My friend, the laptop is the best "console" a money can buy. Especially with the free internet connection in unis, so think of the online games...
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Laptop hooked to a console?

My friend, the laptop is the best "console" a money can buy. Especially with the free internet connection in unis, so think of the online games...
I was responding to:
Take a laptop and if you are still into video games, take your console with you
Laptops cost a lot to get to a decent standard of gaming - compared to a half decent desk top anyway.

And I don't know and uni that offers free internet connection (at least outside of shared computers which are usually locked down to prevent people running unauthorised software on em) - most either charge standard rates on phone lines or a termly fee for connection via JANET (Joint Academic NETwork - the intranet that connects all unis to the web)
Chris_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

And I don't know any uni that offers free internet connection (at least outside of shared computers which are usually locked down to prevent people running unauthorised software on em) - most either charge standard rates on phone lines or a termly fee for connection via JANET (Joint Academic NETwork - the intranet that connects all unis to the web)
My uni has free internet connection at 10Mbps. I think it used to be £100 a year but they made it free a few years back.

Im actually the only person in my flat that hasnt got a console or TV with them (out of 8 people). I rely on my pc for games and download any films or sitcoms I want to watch off the network.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
<nosy>

Where is that?

</nosy>
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Hello good people of UKL.

Next year i hope to be going to university and am in the need of guidance. I need to buy a computer of somesort. My friends all have laptops and they seem more accessable and are everyone who has one recommends them. However, both people ive spoke to who build computers say i should take your standard desktop pc as these are easy to repair (I like my web utilities which sometimes lead to minor errors, though i can often correct them myself). What do current university students recommend based on their experience of uni so far??
i would get a laptop and you can get them on e bay for cheap
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
<nosy>

Where is that?

</nosy>
lol, its at UEA. The network was very unstable for the whole of last term and I believe it was because people were not required to register their computer for the network, it was simply plug in the cable and use. It was completely flooded with virus traffic for the first few weeks but got gradually better as the term went on.

They are supposed to be fixing/upgrading it over the christmas break so hopefully it will be good again when we go back.

I think it was also 100Mbps prior to being made free. After that they capped it at 10.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
warwick has free internet in halls
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Interesting - we've had free connection for CS/electronics students for almost a decade (even to the extent of wiring up certain students houses :rolleyes: )...but the supposedly wonderful networking has been taking yrs to filter through to all the halls and some have just ended up with a bog standard NTL line while they work their way round.

Glad it wasn't available in my day - I'd have failed, spent enough time on the lab computers as it was :eek:
_GáMMá_
Report 16 years ago
I'd personally say that you should get a laptop

The reason for this is because, going to Uni, you really need the convenience like that. At the end of the day, it will work out better if you just do this.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
get an iBook fast, powerful, reliable (never crash and if one program 'unexpectidly (sp) quits' everything else is unaffected and damn cute. The only thing that makes the fan in mine kick in is Word and Excel... weird.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Desk top every time. They're harder to steal (a big concern out there in student land)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads