The Student Room Group

Advice needed about possible move to USA

Hi,

I am currently in my first year of a music degree in the UK.

I have recently been in contact with an American university and need some advice before deciding what I should do.

The university in question is University of Minnesota, Duluth.

I have found information that says it is a public institution but does not offer open admission - does this mean that it is what we would call a private school?

Secondly, it will cost me a lot more money to study abroad - I would like opinions as to whether it is worth the extra cost.

Third, would all costs be covered by loans or would I be out-of-pocket for a lot more things in comparison to studying in the UK?

Is an American degree viewed more favorably by employers in the UK, America and other countries?

Thanks very much in advance,
Kevin
apatey90

The university in question is University of Minnesota, Duluth.

I have found information that says it is a public institution but does not offer open admission - does this mean that it is what we would call a private school?

No, it's a public university with selective admission. Some public universities give anyone a place as long as they completed a high school dipoma or equivalent. UMD is more selective than that.

apatey90
Secondly, it will cost me a lot more money to study abroad - I would like opinions as to whether it is worth the extra cost.

Depends on what advantages studying at UMD is going to give you.

apatey90
Third, would all costs be covered by loans or would I be out-of-pocket for a lot more things in comparison to studying in the UK?

Financial aid and loans can cover tuition and living expenses but you may still need spending money. There are usually plenty of jobs on US campuses to offset those costs.

apatey90
Is an American degree viewed more favorably by employers in the UK, America and other countries?

More favourably than what, a UK degree? You need to find out how highly regarded UMD is in its field. In the US, it may be better regarded than many UK universities as US employers will be more familiar with it; and vice versa for UK degrees in the UK. I don't think that UMD has such a strong international reputation that UK employers are going to be awe struck that you studied at UMD (unlike perhaps Harvard, MIT, Yale etc), they will just see it as 'a degree'.
Reply 2
PercyChatsworth
Financial aid and loans can cover tuition and living expenses but you may still need spending money. There are usually plenty of jobs on US campuses to offset those costs.

I'm not sure the OP will qualify for financial aid or loans if s/he is a non-citizen. S/he should check before assuming it to be the case.

Latest

Trending

Trending