Gustav Stresemann "Dancing on a volcano"

Watch
Vinimin
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am looking for a particular speech made by Gustav Stresemann in which he says something along the lines of,
"The German economy is doing well only on the surface. Germany is in fact dancing on a volcano. If the short-term loans are called in by America, most of our economy will collapse."

I need because I'm using the quote as a source for my History coursework, but my teacher says I need to find the full speech.

All I can find about this speech is that it was in 1929, shortly before his death. If someone can find this speech I will be very, very grateful, I'll throw in some +Rep too ^_^
Rosslyn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The exact quote is:

"The economic position is only flourishing on the surface. Germany is in fact dancing on a volcano. If the short-term credits are called in, a large section of our economy would collapse."

You can simply quote it as from a speech made by Gustav Stresemann shortly before his death on 3 October 1929. Don't see why you need the full speech...
Vinimin
Okay, thanks for that but do yu happen to know who he was speaking to, where he said this or any other details?
Need the whole speech because we're supposed to find 'primary sources' and when it gets to edexcel, well it wont look like a proper source either way, im still adding it
Rosslyn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...ssion_1929.htm

Can't find exactly where, but if I were you I'll just say "Speech in 1929", usually that should suffice.
Vinimin
Yeh thats wht I'm gonna do but I know my teacher will complain :/ ah well~

Thanks though, +Rep to yu ^_^
Fandabidoze!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps you could find a source for your quote here?

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9z26zZoH-dYC&dq=Wright,+Jonathan+Gustav+S tresemann:+Weimar's+Greatest+Sta tesman+(2002&printsec=frontcover &source=bn&hl=en&ei=DvfeS4f8I5Hu 0wShjoXFBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&c t=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBMQ6AEwA w#v=onepage&q&f=false

EDIT:
Do you know if the speech from around September 1929 (Stresemann died in October of the same year didn't he?)

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/...n_chapter1.htm

It's the first link but it is all in French! Sorry about that.
Hellomynameisq
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thought that was by Genesis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.04%
No - I have already returned home (52)
12.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
19.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.68%
No - I live at home during term anyway (119)
29.53%

Watched Threads