Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did neone here go on the sutton trust scheme this summer? I got a place at the trinity / english week, just wonderin if anyone else is on uk-l?
    To everyone who has to go through the ucas application stuff next year, check out the sutton trust website, its basically a free all exspenses paid placement at cambridge, oxford, bristol etc etc so u can see what the unis like first hand wiv lectures etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolita)
    Did neone here go on the sutton trust scheme this summer? I got a place at the trinity / english week, just wonderin if anyone else is on uk-l?
    To everyone who has to go through the ucas application stuff next year, check out the sutton trust website, its basically a free all exspenses paid placement at cambridge, oxford, bristol etc etc so u can see what the unis like first hand wiv lectures etc etc
    i went! pembroke engineering, was a great week. applied there +for same course - got pooled so still could happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolita)
    I did one in Oxford 2 years ago =)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I went to Trinity Hall Cambridge for a Physics summer school.

Anyone who's thinking of applying to any of the unis that they offer summer schools at should try to get on one of the summer schools - they're great!

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from the Cambridge school, I think it was because I was already on the shadowing scheme though.Being very similar, I think these schemes are brilliant, if you're lucky enough to get on them take it.

So, anybody on Oxford or Cambridge shadowing schemes last March?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    Yeah, I went to Trinity Hall Cambridge for a Physics summer school.

Anyone who's thinking of applying to any of the unis that they offer summer schools at should try to get on one of the summer schools - they're great!
    hehe so i guess we were in the same room on the last night for that dinner/dance thing!

ReputationRep:
    how do you get onto them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-k)
    how do you get onto them?
    http://www.suttontrust.com/

ReputationRep:
    Can u go if u are a private school student?

ReputationRep:
    From the web site it looks like ur applic might be put at the bottom of the pile.

ReputationRep:
    Thats kinda discrimation aint it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    Thats kinda discrimation aint it?
    To avoid discrimination, Peter Lampl - philanthropist and chairman of the Sutton Trust - is giving kids who would not have the opportunity, a chance to sample life at a prestigious university and see if they would be suited to it.
    It is presumed, with good reason, that kids at private schools already enjoy substantially better opportunities by way of parental interest, academic encouragement and access to familiarity with university applications.
    Kids selected for the programme must show great potential and aptitude for the rigours of academic life.
    Don't you agree that the less fortunate, but very bright kids, deserve an opportunity of this sort?

ReputationRep:
    Damm straight looks brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    To avoid discrimination, Peter Lampl - philanthropist and chairman of the Sutton Trust - is giving kids who would not have the opportunity, a chance to sample life at a prestigious university and see if they would be suited to it.
    It is presumed, with good reason, that kids at private schools already enjoy substantially better opportunities by way of parental interest, academic encouragement and access to familiarity with university applications.
    Kids selected for the programme must show great potential and aptitude for the rigours of academic life.
    Don't you agree that the less fortunate, but very bright kids, deserve an opportunity of this sort?
    I agree with that... but I think EVERYONE should have a chance to compete for the places. (I just phoned them up and they said only state school students are allowed to go)

ReputationRep:
    Well considering the number of bright state school students who wish to go far exceeds the number of places still, then no, of course people in private education are not really going to be likely candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Well considering the number of bright state school students who wish to go far exceeds the number of places still, then no, of course people in private education are not really going to be likely candidates.
    There was a big argument in the last few years about oxbridge being too easy on private school students and too hard on state school ones, this shouldnt happen. But this whole summer school thing is going to the opposite extreme int it?

ReputationRep:
    But it's a charity! It's like saying that charity money should be given to rich people as well as the poor and needy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bOdOING2)
    There was a big argument in the last few years about oxbridge being too easy on private school students and too hard on state school ones, this shouldnt happen. But this whole summer school thing is going to the opposite extreme int it?
    I see it as: Certain people in society have no access to information or experience/anecdotes about Oxbridge, and don't really know what it's like. Anybody who attends a private school is not in this group of people. Therefore, the places should be targetted to the state school applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    But it's a charity! It's like saying that charity money should be given to rich people as well as the poor and needy!
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    emmmm... i got into my private school though scholarship and i really cant afford to spend hundreds of pounds to go to oxbridge for a few days and find out all I could about the courses etc. I dont see how people in private schools who arnt stinking rich or have connections can gain the information and experiance, (that the state schoolers cant).

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.