Watch
This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
emmmm... i got into my private school though scholarship and i really cant afford to spend hundreds of pounds to go to oxbridge for a few days and find out all I could about the courses etc. I dont see how people in private schools who arnt stinking rich or have connections can gain the information and experiance, (that the state schoolers cant).
But your school will have sent people to Oxbridge, your school will be more encouraging if you want to apply to Oxbridge. This scheme is for people who go to schools where they've never sent people to Oxbridge, and the teachers perpetuate stupid myths and actively discourage people to apply to Oxbridge. "Don't apply to Oxford they'll reject you because you've only got 4 A*s."
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
one guy went to cambridge about 4/5 years ago from my school, I think he was one of the only ones ever to go there...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm the first person in the history of my high school to get an offer from Oxbridge, but tonnes go from my college.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I'm the first person in the history of my high school to get an offer from Oxbridge, but tonnes go from my college.
Well done You should be really proud of yourself.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Well done You should be really proud of yourself.
Cheers.
s-k
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
http://www.suttontrust.com/

Help! I cant find any details for Summer School in 2004!
It all about 2003, and the deadline to send forms by last year was March, if its the same this year I got less then a month to apply someone please help!
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-k)
It all about 2003, and the deadline to send forms by last year was March, if its the same this year I got less then a month to apply someone please help!
Try ringing them
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-k)

Try http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/liaison/summer/ and email/ring someone at the Oxford Colleges Admissions Office
s-k
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
Try http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/liaison/summer/ and email/ring someone at the Oxford Colleges Admissions Office
yeh have done cambridge dont run a medicine one but oxford do! so ive emailed them.

Nottingham do medicine one but ive already been there for medlink and going again for medsim so dont wanna apply there.

The other two ones in Scotland...(i live in london) so too far.
Bristol i think they do medicine, but oxford experience would be far more exciting.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-k)
yeh have done cambridge dont run a medicine one but oxford do! so ive emailed them.

Nottingham do medicine one but ive already been there for medlink and going again for medsim so dont wanna apply there.

Bristol i think they do medicine, but oxford experience would be far more exciting.
Better still, there's an on-line application on the Sutton Trust website!
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-k)

How do you apply for medlink and medsim, and also when do you go to them - in yr 12 or 13? Also what year do you sit the BMAT? (yr 12 or 13?)
s-k
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
How do you apply for medlink and medsim, and also when do you go to them - in yr 12 or 13? Also what year do you sit the BMAT? (yr 12 or 13?)
Hi if you go to http://www.workshop-uk.com/ you can find out about all the courses. Medlink course - where you learn about applying to unis, interviews, Ucas, different specialities etc etc is held once every year usually in december. They have their own site http://www.medlink-uk.com/

However there is another course which very similar! called Medsix which is in april so you can still book find out more about it on http://www.workshop-uk.com/. You can go to them if your in Year 11,12 or 13. However for year 13 some parts arent useful as they have already applied to uni and have had interviews. I recommend going to the sites and downloading the brochures.

Medsim is a course held in the summer this is the clinical part - where you'll get to do practicals, and get hands on experience.

Although THE WORKSHOP do make a lot of money, as they are a business it is nevertheless useful going on them. they do cost £150-£200!

However, if you are unable to afford them dont worry, getting a book and reading how to become a doctor etc is just as useful. Also get work experience with gps or at hospitals(similar stuff to what ull be doing at medsim). If your interested in particular universities go their open days because they do tell you tips on how to do well at interview and the questions you can expect plus their free!!!

I went to Imperial open day this week for medicine and it was great, although I didn't get to see much the final presentation showed us a mock interview taking place, so gave me a better insight.

Some schools, sponser students to go and pay for you, so ask your school about it.

Anyway goodluck with whatever you decide to do! Personally if I was in year 13 I wouldn't go on either, you've probably already applied to the unis ...know what medicine is all about... and are going to study it for the next 6 years.. so dont spend £200 save it on a holiday or something and have fun while you can

You sit the BMAT in YEAR 13 nov/december i think!
floydkidcapri
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by s-k)
but oxford experience would be far more exciting.
Trust me, you'll have a fantastic time at Oxford! I went last year on the Chemistry course and it was all good! I spent most of my time at Laser Quest, so I guess I missed out on stuff like rowing and punting.

I'd recommend it to anyone! Being from a background where your only role models are drug dealers and Pimps I thought I wouldn't fit in but I lightened up as the week went by! My only regret is I didn't take a camera! The best bit was the leavers dance. There was some real cheesy music but me and some mates cracked open some glow sticks and covered everyone! It woz sick!
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by floydkidcapri)
Trust me, you'll have a fantastic time at Oxford! I went last year on the Chemistry course and it was all good! I spent most of my time at Laser Quest, so I guess I missed out on stuff like rowing and punting.

I'd recommend it to anyone! Being from a background where your only role models are drug dealers and Pimps I thought I wouldn't fit in but I lightened up as the week went by! My only regret is I didn't take a camera! The best bit was the leavers dance. There was some real cheesy music but me and some mates cracked open some glow sticks and covered everyone! It woz sick!
And did you learn anything about applying to University? :rolleyes:
s-k
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

lol....must you always be so blunt
androidkiller
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I learnt some stuff about applying while there - and it was great fun too.

I also learnt that warm lecture halls in Summer and late nights are conductive to nodding off, although I managed to stay awake (just)!

Four words:
Go, it's great fun.
floydkidcapri
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Yeah learnt a great deal! Especially when it came to personal statements and applying to Unis. I applied to School Of Pharmacy London, Kings College, Nottingham and some others and because of my statement (and natural charisma) I got interviews, blagged em and got the places!

I herd Notingham had hard interviews for Pharmacy but this year it was a breeze, plus I had a lot to show for myself (MEDLINK, Sutton Trust, UniLynx, Volunteerring, Community work etc). I jus hope I pull off the grades now, cant wait to get to Nottingham!!!
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've just applied to go on a Summer School - but my head of year ticked the 60%-100% box when it said 'how many of your students go onto university' - will this lower my chance of getting a place because it targets schools with low numbers of people going to university??
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
I've just applied to go on a Summer School - but my head of year ticked the 60%-100% box when it said 'how many of your students go onto university' - will this lower my chance of getting a place because it targets schools with low numbers of people going to university??
No! Sutton Trust is targetting other factors apart from the one you mentioned. If you fulfill their criteria in other aspects you should be ok.
Good luck with your application
Fallen Angel
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by floydkidcapri)
There was some real cheesy music but me and some mates cracked open some glow sticks and covered everyone! It woz sick!
Hiya floyd! You owe me a new dress mister, it still glows in the dark lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads