The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

unamed
Well, the question I had (from the textbook) was:
To what extent was moderate reform the most important factor in keeping the status quo, 1900-1914? (or something along those lines)

So, you obviously have all of your moderate reforms, and then the other policies:

Primat der Innenpolitik = Welt+Flottenpolitik
The nationalism in the country - even the SPD supported that [there's even a quote on that, can't remember]
The army being above the law (zabern incident)
Kaiser's powers (and personality, to an extent)
Lack of power of the Reichstag
How the PR system made it so that most of the seats went to the right wing anyway
Pressure groups like the Agrarian League and the Fatherland Party

:smile: That gives you quite a lot to work with..

The responsibility question's easy since you have the sources to use if you ever forget a factor/blank out! :smile: [and you have all of Fischer's thesis if you can't understand a source :mmm:]

And the polarisation one is one I haven't tried yet, I'll do it tomorrow, then. Although it's pretty common-sense-like, right?

Oh, maybe I need to look at the second reich as well then :s-smilie: but I thought that was more of an introductory chapter and that there wont be questions on it?

And also, sorry if this sounds stupid but what does Primat der Innenpolitik have to do with reform? I thought that was the idea that German Foreign policy was dictated by internal issues?

And yeah, polarization and Unit 3 is something I plan to tackle tomorrow. From what I remember, I would make mention of the SPD/USPD split with Luxembourg and Liebknecht although maybe mention as a counter argument to this point that Liebknecht voted against War Credits(or some ****) at the beginning of the war, so there was always an element of left wing radicalization, it just picked up pace as the war progressed. Id also make mention maybe about the increase in far right politics and maybe nationalism with the whole stab in the back myth and soldiers who later joined the Freikorp and far right parties having felt betrayed at their countries surrender. Somewhere ill add in the stuff about Erstplatz and other economic **** ups. You reckon this sounds okay?

Also, are you just using the edexcel text book?
Ah man I finally started making my revision cards for this hopefully I can get up to 33 tonight and do the rest tomorrow and then spend more time learning stuff on them and my timelines.
Reply 122
adam_zed
Oh, maybe I need to look at the second reich as well then :s-smilie: but I thought that was more of an introductory chapter and that there wont be questions on it?

My teacher said, that the way he sees it, it's split up into 4 sections for his part (up to the Stresseman years) :
Pre- WW1
The war guilt
the Weimar's bad years
the Weimar's 'good' year
the last two would probably go together

And also, sorry if this sounds stupid but what does Primat der Innenpolitik have to do with reform? I thought that was the idea that German Foreign policy was dictated by internal issues?

the question has more to do with whether or not reforms were the key to keeping the status quo. The way I've learned it - yes they are, but there are other factors. Primat der Innenpolitik would be the 'other factors' [and quite an important one, at that]

And yeah, polarization and Unit 3 is something I plan to tackle tomorrow. From what I remember, I would make mention of the SPD/USPD split with Luxembourg and Liebknecht although maybe mention as a counter argument to this point that Liebknecht voted against War Credits(or some ****) at the beginning of the war, so there was always an element of left wing radicalization, it just picked up pace as the war progressed. Id also make mention maybe about the increase in far right politics and maybe nationalism with the whole stab in the back myth and soldiers who later joined the Freikorp and far right parties having felt betrayed at their countries surrender. Somewhere ill add in the stuff about Ersatz and other economic **** ups. You reckon this sounds okay?

that's all after the war begins - I might have messed up my dates, but I'm sure that it's up to before the war begins. :frown: Sorry for my misinformation. :sigh:

Also, are you just using the edexcel text book?

and yes, I'm using the edexcel book. It's all right, I guess.
Hey, I just wondered if most people here had studied the whole 1900-1945?
Cause we didn't do 1900-1919 and I'm a bit worried.
Also the first bit will be 2 questions, which is a choice, and part B is source 1933-39 right?
eleanormcd
Also the first bit will be 2 questions, which is a choice, and part B is source 1933-39 right?

I havent really looked at 1933 - 45 apart from what we did in class. Still, I think it would be important to atleast look at it, especially as it gives you an idea about how the system of government changed. Also, I think some of the questions require info from other topics.
Reply 125
eleanormcd

We only covered parts of 39-45 in class and i'm not sure if i'll revise that topic. I'm a bit worried too though as it feels a bit risky ignoring a chapter.
And yep that's right, except part B will also be a choice of two, one on 33-39 and one on whether Germany was resonsiboe for the First World War. Though some people only study one of these controversies so won't have a choice.
Ok good, I was panicing a bit but I feel better now.
Cause we didn't do WWI or the Kaiser (like we got a few sheets on it just incase but apart from that.
[QUOTE="eleanormcd"]Ok good, I was panicing a bit but I feel better now.
Cause we didn't do WWI or the Kaiser (like we got a few sheets on it just incase but apart from that.[/QUOTE

you have to study kaiser wilhelm ll-bismarck and what changes he brought to germany- this is all pre ww1 and how much germany were responsible for the war
and wwI is part of our study- moorcan crisis-balkans war- alllied forces etc etc

post war-weimar and how it affected gmny
eleanormcd

It is actually worrying since question of German responsibility for the outbreak of WWI is a vital question, a classic argument but exam board might word it differently, even though it will be the same question. And really without looking back as far as 1871, the latter developments in Germany can be very confusing

Thanks to that we have two teachers and they divided this module into two parts 1900-1933 and 1933-1945 amongst themselves so we don't miss out on anything although we are going bit fast through WWII years which is very big area ! I feel quite confident about this unit to be honest. I won't improve my essay skills massively in a week but I try to remember clever phrases and structure.
MagneticMeteor
It is actually worrying since question of German responsibility for the outbreak of WWI is a vital question, a classic argument but exam board might word it differently, even though it will be the same question. And really without looking back as far as 1871, the latter developments in Germany can be very confusing

Thanks to that we have two teachers and they divided this module into two parts 1900-1933 and 1933-1945 amongst themselves so we don't miss out on anything although we are going bit fast through WWII years which is very big area ! I feel quite confident about this unit to be honest. I won't improve my essay skills massively in a week but I try to remember clever phrases and structure.

and what clever phrases and structure do you use, may i ask?
Well maybe not clever as such but useful stuff like 'One can argue' and so on, they are somewhere in this book for sure
Reply 131
i am trying to learn everything to give myself choice and now i'm freaking out!

can anybody suggest a good plan for each of the controversies just like what each paragraphs could roughly be about?
Reply 132
Does anyone have notes on chapter 5 they could share?
relative stability from 1924-1929

I really don't get it:frown:
Stresseman years ? It's not so difficult. You can defeinetely argue in there about good foreign policy and achieving as much as possible, regaining trust from international community etc.
Reply 134
i think as well it's easy to argue that the stresseman years of 'stability' are some what an illusion as it seems they were stable but still had fundamental weaknesses..
Reply 135
everyone: how would an essay about war causation differ from one about war guilt?
Reply 136
Charrp
i am trying to learn everything to give myself choice and now i'm freaking out!

can anybody suggest a good plan for each of the controversies just like what each paragraphs could roughly be about?

Well this is not really a plan in paragraphs but if you make sure you cover these it will be fine (hopefully).

WW1 controversy- Germany foriegn policy, july crisis, how each country (including USA, Serbia, Austria-Hungary, Germany, France and GB) are responsible/ played apart in the war and a few historian views would help.

Nazi popularity- conest and consensus, resistenz, loyal reluctance, terror state, denunciations, oppostition from women, church, youth, etc and popular policies such as work schemes and general knowledge of historian views. interpretation e.g. Mommsen.

Nazi chaos, etc- Hitler- stron or weak dictator, Hitler's lifestlye, struggle between party and state, leading Nazis and their roles/ ambitions, divide and rule policy (choas delibrate or accident), working towards the Fuhrer, cumulative radicalisation ans social darwinism.

Hope this helps!! I know it looks a lot but some parts are quiete small, have you any useful tips on structure or what they may come up/ hardes topics???

Nazi
Reply 137
thats brilliant thanks!!
can anyone give a brief idea what these other countries did which can be seen to cause war?.

mhuss
Well this is not really a plan in paragraphs but if you make sure you cover these it will be fine (hopefully).

WW1 controversy- Germany foriegn policy, july crisis, how each country (including USA, Serbia, Austria-Hungary, Germany, France and GB) are responsible/ played apart in the war and a few historian views would help.

Nazi popularity- conest and consensus, resistenz, loyal reluctance, terror state, denunciations, oppostition from women, church, youth, etc and popular policies such as work schemes and general knowledge of historian views. interpretation e.g. Mommsen.

Nazi chaos, etc- Hitler- stron or weak dictator, Hitler's lifestlye, struggle between party and state, leading Nazis and their roles/ ambitions, divide and rule policy (choas delibrate or accident), working towards the Fuhrer, cumulative radicalisation ans social darwinism.

Hope this helps!! I know it looks a lot but some parts are quiete small, have you any useful tips on structure or what they may come up/ hardes topics???

Nazi
Reply 138
can anyone give a brief idea what these other countries did which can be seen to cause war?.
Charrp

lol Im not stalking you, I just check this thread every now and then for hints and stuff.

Austria-Hungary took a very hardline appraoch against Serbia's expansionist ambitions and during the July Crisis set the nation an impossible 10 point plan and dismissed Serbia's attempts to meet all but 1 of them.

I guess you could also say that Russia encouraged Serbia in the same way that people argue Germany encouraged A+H by giving them the same level of unlimited support as seen during when they ignored Austria's initial calls for an independent Albania to prevent Serbia from getting access to the sea.

Also other countries had their own version's of the Schlieffen Plan which many say is proof of Germany's intentions. France had Plan XVII which was based on 'Revanche' and involved one army reclaiming Alsace-Lorraine and the other marching into German itself. Russia had plan 19 which I forget precisely but I think it had something to do with them going into Germany as well. A+H had plan's B and R which basically involved the invasion of Serbia while also holding out a defense against Russia.

There is some other crap, but I cant remember of the top of my head and I'll put it in that essay plan.

Latest

Trending

Trending