Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    help! i need info on the molecular structure of steel, almunium, titanium and carbon fibre as to why they have the properties they have. cant seem to find anything on net, but iam sure there must be inofmration somewhere. diagrams would be great to. anyone know such a website?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatsthebadger)
    help! i need info on the molecular structure of steel, almunium, titanium and carbon fibre as to why they have the properties they have. cant seem to find anything on net, but iam sure there must be inofmration somewhere. diagrams would be great to. anyone know such a website?

thanks

try encarta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harveer)
    try encarta
    if you want to ask any question regarding any topic of physics, visit

www.bbc.co.uk/asguru.

This is a good site for A-level students.

Have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    well, titanium is the usual metal structure, lots of metal ions in a sea of delocalxsed electrons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peace111)
    if you want to ask any question regarding any topic of physics, visit

www.bbc.co.uk/asguru.

This is a good site for A-level students.

Have a nice day
    thanks, but the link does not work!?

yeah i know that titanium and aluminium have a strucutre of a giant mettallic lattic with ions and a sea of electrons. However, what makes their properties different. Is it because they have differing numbers of electrons which strengthens the mettallic bond? What else could there be.

And also, how does the carbon in steel make iron stronger, and how the does molecular structure change?

thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't find a lot really. A little bit here. A bit babyish but there's some stuff.

http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/titanium.html

Perhaps you could choose a different topic? I started off doing tungsten in light bulbs but when I couldn't find much stuff on it, I did glass instead. There was literally loads on it.

ReputationRep:
    hey, i did the structure of aluminium and the best thing to do for the molecular structure is to draw it coz its pretty simple - just some positive metal ions surrounded by the negative electron "glue". try in paint, i know its kiddish but its simple, copy and paste for the same size circles etc. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    sorri jus realised u put most of that before . oops
    http://advancingphysics.iop.org/wb/s.../materials.htm
    is a good site for links to materials sites anyways.

ReputationRep:
    thanks you guys. i have managed to get enough information on the materials now. Now its just the task of writing it up b4 tommorrow morning. thats the worst part.

cheers

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.