Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering which university out of Oxford and Cambridge is more recognised for a strong Law tradition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    I was wondering which university out of Oxford and Cambridge is more recognised for a strong Law tradition?
    BOTH! Though if i had the choice- would go to Cam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    BOTH! Though if i had the choice- would go to Cam!
    What?!? :confused: You got an offer from Oxford and now you're saying if you had the choice, you'd go to Cam?? :confused: I told you Cam is much better at all subjects... Law and History anyway, I'd say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    What?!? :confused: You got an offer from Oxford and now you're saying if you had the choice, you'd go to Cam?? :confused: I told you Cam is much better at all subjects... Law and History anyway, I'd say...
    And the sciences

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the league tables, personally I'd say Cam. Oxford are very good too, but I think they tend to see Law more from an intellectual standpoint than a professional one- i.e. they'll teach you stuff they think is interesting, not necessarily cases that come up frequently in practice.

It also depends on the type of law you want to do. For instance, there is a law course in Cambridge which lasts 4 years. At the end, you get an English LLB and a French Maîtrise en droit (LLM). Look at their website, it's very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    And the sciences
    Yep! Cam rules supreme!!! Too bad they rejected me... Oh well, I can still take the mick out of the Oxonians!!! Some of them are nice though (see my sig)...

ReputationRep:
    You said Cambridge is better for law. But which colleges within Cambridge re better for Law???

ReputationRep:
    Oxford has a much better reputation for law. Also humanities and arts are better at Oxford. Go to Cambridge for sciences.

ReputationRep:
    There arent many faculties in the common law world, and probably world generally, that can boast the private lawyers (the law that one is required to know for practice, the essentials: contract, tort etc) Oxford has amongst it ranks: Professors Burrows, Mckendrick and, the legendary, Birks. Cambridge is also very good but is full of younger academics with potential (eg Virgo). The ultimate test is to see the standing of the Law masters courses at both unis: the BCL at oxford is the worlds premier masters of its type, respected everywhere, while the LLM at cambridge is nowhere near as good. Just check out the profiles of barristers on the net, and see where at what thjey have been upto.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    i know im biased but i would have to say oxford, it boasts a number of the world's leading legal academics e.g. Craig, who essentially created Administrative law. I don't know whether its just coincedence or whether the Oxford law faculty do it delibereately, but a hell of a lot of the reading material I cover has been written by Oxford law academics.

also from what i hear, at cambridge you only get a supervision once or twice fortnightly i think. at oxford you get a minimum of three every fortnight with classes as well, this is great because the tutorial system is crucial to the oxbridge education system and the more time you have with your tutors the better.

ReputationRep:
    You said Cambridge is better for law. But which colleges within Cambridge re better for Law???
    I have no idea. I applied for history. Alliotriophagy, who is also on this forum, has applied for law at St. John's (Camb). If he is still on this forum, you might want to pm him. Apart from that, I'd say try to contact a law student at Cambridge for some advice (I did the same for history). Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just because i got an offer from Oxford, doesn't mean i think they are the best! Tho' Matty the Cat is bullying me into thinking so. I prefer the History course at Oxford and the college i applied to, compared to the college i was going to apply to at Cam, and the Cam course.

But..if you said i had 30 seconds to decide which university i *could* go to, to read Law...i'd probably choose Cambridge. However, it was the programme "Cambridge Spies"...that made me love Cam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    Oxford has a much better reputation for law. Also humanities and arts are better at Oxford. Go to Cambridge for sciences.
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Traditionally this is how it used to be, but both universities are excellent in humanities as well as sciences, at the end of the day it comes down to which course structure you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Just because i got an offer from Oxford, doesn't mean i think they are the best! Tho' Matty the Cat is bullying me into thinking so. I prefer the History course at Oxford and the college i applied to, compared to the college i was going to apply to at Cam, and the Cam course.

But..if you said i had 30 seconds to decide which university i *could* go to, to read Law...i'd probably choose Cambridge. However, it was the programme "Cambridge Spies"...that made me love Cam
    :rolleyes: Oh dear... this is what people are basing their university choices on these days *sighs*. Well, my reason for applying to Cam (originally) were that the Oxford representative at my UCAS convention was a total [censored] who tried to put people off applying instead of encouraging them and just about bothered to hand out prospectuses after a while. Also, Oxford took ages to send me one of their course prospectuses. I got the feeling that they thought they were too good for me and that they didn't care about prospective undergrads. When I was finally able to compare both courses, I realised I like the Cambridge one much better.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Oh dear... this is what people are basing their university choices on these days *sighs*. Well, my reason for applying to Cam (originally) were that the Oxford representative at my UCAS convention was a total [censored] who tried to put people off applying instead of encouraging them and just about bothered to hand out prospectuses after a while. Also, Oxford took ages to send me one of their course prospectuses. I got the feeling that they thought they were too good for me and that they didn't care about prospective undergrads. When I was finally able to compare both courses, I realised I like the Cambridge one much better.
    hehe..i wouldn't think that i am the only person alive who has made a decision based on anything rather logic...hey Cambridge Spies was a fantastic series. I was all too ready to apply to Cam, but after the *lil* upset i had at a Cam Openday..thought what the hell and switched to Oxford.
    I got the feeling UCL thought they were too good for me...they damn well REJECTED me :mad: I actually really liked their course, i mean really really liked their course. Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the league tables, personally I'd say Cam. Oxford are very good too, but I think they tend to see Law more from an intellectual standpoint than a professional one- i.e. they'll teach you stuff they think is interesting, not necessarily cases that come up frequently in practice.
    I think that I prefer the stucture of the Cambridge course and I would love to apply to Downing, where Virgo has his own appreciation club. The teaching at Downing is meant to be brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)

Having spent my childhood and teenage years in Cambridge before going to Oxford and knowing quite a few people at Cam I'd say it does depend a lot on your subject. So for the PPE area it has to be Oxford, for Economics Cambridge, for History probably Oxfoird, for Maths definitely Cambridge etc etc. But ultimately will depend on what course suits you individually.

Socially and culturally Oxford has the edge mainly as it's a bit bigger and diverse as a city. Most people would be happy at either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanner)
    Having spent my childhood and teenage years in Cambridge before going to Oxford and knowing quite a few people at Cam I'd say it does depend a lot on your subject. So for the PPE area it has to be Oxford, for Economics Cambridge, for History probably Oxfoird, for Maths definitely Cambridge etc etc. But ultimately will depend on what course suits you individually.

Socially and culturally Oxford has the edge mainly as it's a bit bigger and diverse as a city. Most people would be happy at either.
    for law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I was all too ready to apply to Cam, but after the *lil* upset i had at a Cam Openday..thought what the hell and switched to Oxford.
    lol was this the water thing? That was hilarious ! As for believing Cambridge is better... hopefully you'll soon start thinking otherwise

ReputationRep:
    I think that I prefer the stucture of the Cambridge course and I would love to apply to Downing, where Virgo has his own appreciation club. The teaching at Downing is meant to be brilliant
    What I said about the Oxford law course is taken from their University prospectus from 2003-4. I quote: "The Oxford syllabus comprises topics chosen primarily for their intellectual interest, rather than for the frequency with with they arise in practice."

I'm not really in position to advise you properly on law courses, what ancien said seems to make sense to me. I think you should research both courses very carefully, try to talk to law students at both unis (if you can, try via the Students' Unions) and if necessary talk to the law lecturers themselves. The rest is gut feeling. Good luck.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.