Turn on thread page Beta

The Football League Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ^ 11 points isn't that much worryingly for me! We have to play eachother also.
    I never believe anything in football until I see it. Been there too many times before sadly.
    We've got some tough games in February but I'm sure we can get through it. I hope the rumours are true and Jerome from Cardiff is on his way to BL but can't see it myself.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Yaaaaaaaay! We've put in a bid for Jon Parkin. Let's hope we get him.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the rumours are true and Jerome from Cardiff is on his way to BL but can't see it myself.

Gem
    Over rated isn't he? How about you can have Rufus Brevett or Scott Taylor and we can have Kabba! :p:

Matty Fryatt would worth a look surely? He's out of our financial reach, but then so am I, and I've got a broken leg.

Or Matt Jansen from Blackburn, proven in the Prem and seems a Warnock type.

Tough games in February eh? I'd say the toughest will be on the 11th, especially after last years 3-0 walk in the park!

ReputationRep:
    I want Jerome from Cardiff.

FA Cup 3rd round this weekend. If I were Paul Jewell I would be quivering in my boots, - back to back defeats and Leeds are coming to rugbytown to teach the Premiership pretenders a lesson. Won't get there for the game, but radio Leeds will see me through. What about the rest of you ... good FA cup prospects this weekend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    What about the rest of you ... good FA cup prospects this weekend?
    Bloody Wolves! We went there last Saturday and now we're there again this week. Boring boring Wolves for a 1-0 over Argyle because we want to concentrate on the league. :cool: I like to get the excuses in early!

ReputationRep:
    Colchester at home....exciting stuff or maybe not.

Youngsters will play, reserve team at best. Don't need or want a cup run so therefore my excuse is also in early. Blades 1 Colchester 2!

Gem

--------------

(Original post by Anne Auraque)
    Over rated isn't he? How about you can have Rufus Brevett or Scott Taylor and we can have Kabba! :p:

Matty Fryatt would worth a look surely? He's out of our financial reach, but then so am I, and I've got a broken leg.

Or Matt Jansen from Blackburn, proven in the Prem and seems a Warnock type.

Tough games in February eh? I'd say the toughest will be on the 11th, especially after last years 3-0 walk in the park!
    All being well, it will be my first visit to Plymouth's ground. Make a weekend of it me thinks and we definitely won't lose this time.

Kabba's attitude stinks and he won't sign a contract with the club that stuck by him throughout his injuries.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    Colchester at home....exciting stuff or maybe not.

Colchester are on form I think. Not sure, scummy club they are. They refused to form a guard of honour when we won the title a few years ago. :confused:
    --------------

All being well, it will be my first visit to Plymouth's ground. Make a weekend of it me thinks and we definitely won't lose this time.
    How many will SU bring down? The one thing we're good at is away support! We took 5,500 to Wigan last year and won! 5,000 to Reading this season! Leeds have been the best at Home Park so far this season, but they were winning.

Also our stadium is a bit mechano. The facilities are too small, dubious overpriced food etc., but at least there will be one quality team on display!

Plymouth is a bit crappy in mid-February, so I'd make it a quick trip!

ReputationRep:
    Leeds have been the best at Home Park so far this season, but they were winning.
    We're the best everywhere. QPR, Watford, Southampton (lol), Reading, I could go on....

Can you ever make it a quick trip to Plymouth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    We're the best everywhere. QPR, Watford, Southampton (lol), Reading, I could go on....
    Urm....I don't think so! We've brought more to your place on a Tuesday night last year than you brought to ours on a Saturday this year and last year! Our away:home attendance ratio is EASILY bigger than yours too!

:cool:

Westcountry LA LA LA!

ReputationRep:
    Hate this our fans are better than yours crap. All clubs have good and bad fans and all have fickle fans. Some go to every away match and some don't...some go only if the team are doing well and some go no matter what.

Best fans at BL this season will probably be this weekend...Colchester in the cup. Few seasons ago in the same round of the cup we played them and their fans were brilliant.

Doesn't always go on numbers anyway for the best fans.

We've been good away this season but what do you expect, we are doing well. Some of us would be there regardless but some can't be for whatever reason.

I look forward to going to Plymouth anyway! Ground number 36th.

Gem

--------------

(Original post by Anne Auraque)
    How many will SU bring down? The one thing we're good at is away support! We took 5,500 to Wigan last year and won! 5,000 to Reading this season! Leeds have been the best at Home Park so far this season, but they were winning.

Also our stadium is a bit mechano. The facilities are too small, dubious overpriced food etc., but at least there will be one quality team on display!

No idea but a lot more than last season I would think.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! Keith's staying. That was a close one. Our assistant manager and chairman have left though. Doubt we'll ever find out what really happened though. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Palace supporter here :cool:

Hopefully after our poor start to the season we can get a run going and try and finish as high as possible, unfortunately its unlikely that we will catch sheffield United so we're going to have go up through the playoff's, its a gamble but i have faith! Glad All Over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Village Idiot)
    Palace supporter here :cool:

Hopefully after our poor start to the season we can get a run going and try and finish as high as possible, unfortunately its unlikely that we will catch sheffield United so we're going to have go up through the playoff's, its a gamble but i have faith! Glad All Over
    Hello. I went to SP this season and had a great weekend in London.

Hope you win the play offs...you'll make them definitely. If the Blades are already up by the time we play you at BL we'll let you have the 3 points.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Fair play.

Hope you win the play offs...you'll make them definitely. If the Blades are already up by the time we play you at BL we'll let you have the 3 points.
    Typical, an anti-Leeds conspiracy. Fine we'll see who has the last laugh ... come on LEEDS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    Hello. I went to SP this season and had a great weekend in London.

Gem
    Thanks! Might have to take you up on that! The Playoffs are gonna be hard to get into and stay but we have a good chance, so do leeds. In the past the playoff's have been kind to us lets hope it continues.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=leedsblade]Hate this our fans are better than yours crap. All clubs have good and bad fans and all have fickle fans. Some go to every away match and some don't...some go only if the team are doing well and some go no matter what.

Doesn't always go on numbers anyway for the best fans. [QUOTE]

I didn't want to start that, it just we never get any credit, especially considering the distances we travel. Chris Kamara said we "came up in a taxi" to Sunderland last year when there were 1000 on a Tuesday night.

But then Chris Kamara is a :eek:

I think there should be a rule imposed whereby Leeds can't hog all the decent strikers! Can we just have Healey please??
    At the moment our 'top' transfer target is Delroy Facey for £50,000 from Tranmere. No disrespect to player or club, but ARGH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    Fair play.

Typical, an anti-Leeds conspiracy. Fine we'll see who has the last laugh ... come on LEEDS

You may have the last laugh at the play off final but by then I'll have been laughing for weeks.

Gem

--------------

(Original post by Village Idiot)
    Thanks! Might have to take you up on that! The Playoffs are gonna be hard to get into and stay but we have a good chance, so do leeds. In the past the playoff's have been kind to us lets hope it continues.
    Don't I know it. Soooo lucky in 1997 but I liked it when you beat West Ham and of course Shipperley got the winner. He is a legend.

Gem

--------------

[QUOTE=Anne Auraque][QUOTE=leedsblade]Hate this our fans are better than yours crap. All clubs have good and bad fans and all have fickle fans. Some go to every away match and some don't...some go only if the team are doing well and some go no matter what.

I didn't want to start that, it just we never get any credit, especially considering the distances we travel. Chris Kamara said we "came up in a taxi" to Sunderland last year when there were 1000 on a Tuesday night.

But then Chris Kamara is a :eek:

I think there should be a rule imposed whereby Leeds can't hog all the decent strikers! Can we just have Healey please??
    At the moment our 'top' transfer target is Delroy Facey for £50,000 from Tranmere. No disrespect to player or club, but ARGH!
    True. Kamara talks crap even if he does like the Blades. :rolleyes:
    As for Leeds, Blackwell has obviously copied Warnock's obsession in strikers.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    You may have the last laugh at the play off final but by then I'll have been laughing for weeks.

Gem
    Then weeks later you'll be crying as we waltz into the champions league positions and Bramall Lane becomes a fortress ... for the away team.

As for Leeds, Blackwell has obviously copied Warnock's obsession in strikers.
    And it's working.
    And by the way Plymouth can't have Healy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    Then weeks later you'll be crying as we waltz into the champions league positions and Bramall Lane becomes a fortress ... for the away team.

And it's working.
    And by the way Plymouth can't have Healy.
    I don't care whether BL is a fortress for away teams or not. As long as we get the money from being in the prem to clear the debts (you know, not millions and millions of debt like some clubs, just a few million ) even if we go back down which we will. Can't be worse than Sunderland though.

It is working but not working so much that Leeds are the leagues top scorers as Reading and indeed the Blades would be higher.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Derby fan and I have to say one thing: Our board are crap.

You have your best manager since the great Sir Brian and what do they do? Fall out with him, start snooping around his private life and he leaves. Great. Thanks a lot, the best chance we had of doing something and it's gone.

Then there's the issue of money. The board paid £1 when they took over and since then all they've seemingly done is get us into more debt. I feel the decision to sell Huddlestone (which Burley had no say in and was pretty poor business for us too) and Rasiak (which may have been forced) has cost us very dearly - We can't defend a lead anymore and we have no established strikers except for the different ones that come in on loan every month. Sure the lad Andy Davies is good, but I don't see us being able to get him permenantly and he gets sent off too much. Dexter Blackstock was good, but that's why Southampton took him back. Pending a biblical miracle, I don't see us buying too many players either - especially the striker that we so desperately need to replace old Grzegorz, leaving the only real known strikers left at the club as the geriatric (but lovable) Paul Peschisolido and maybe Tommy Smith if you want to push the envelope.

The last few games have made me want to cry, shipping goals for fun as soon as there's any semblance of a win. I don't really blame Phil Brown for this and I don't blame the players either, because there simply isn't the strength and depth to the squad that is required, mainly thanks to our financial situation. Admittedly, what Burley achieved last season was a minor miracle and it was never going to be easy to even think of emulating it - especially after losing influential players - but the degradation has been really shocking.

I do have a tendency to be cynical, but our board really need to get their act together. When they took us on they invested £1 in us and it doesn't seem as if they've invested much more since and we're still getting more and more into debt. It makes me really sad to see us in this state and unless they get their act together anytime soon, the Derby fans who are usually patient may end up losing their rag with the board. I'm just hoping a competent board will come and take us over and drive us towards progress.

Mind you, we're above Leicester and Forest, so perhaps it's not all that bad

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.