Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipswichblade)
    We have made 2 loan signings today and I've never heard of either of them but no surprises there.
    Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme has joined until Christmas and Fulham Finnish International defender Toni Kallio has joined on another short term loan.

We were desperate for a keeper with only 1 fit keeper at the club and Kilgallon was supposed to be moving to Necastle on loan before a proper deal but that hasn't happened.
    I'm hoping we can sign Billy Sharp permanently off you lot in January before he goes somewhere else. Don't know if we can afford it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJB_1990)
    I'm hoping we can sign Billy Sharp permanently off you lot in January before he goes somewhere else. Don't know if we can afford it though.
    I hope you can too. Wanna see him do well and especially for a nice local club. :yep:

(Original post by fletchinator)
    I really don't know what to make of Burton. No consistency whatsoever. A win here, loss there, win here, loss there. They're a punters nightmare.

Oh well, if someone would have offered us 12th at this stage of the season we'd have snapped their hand off so hey ho.
    I'm utterly baffled as to why we've just loaned you Steve Kabba. First team for the start of the season and when I watched him before coming up to uni and then in the few games since he looked good enough to remain in the first team. Maybe something dreadful happened while I've been away but it seems a great shame for him to be dropping to League Two, considering I was surprised to get him as a League One player at the start of the season. I really hope he does a job with you and I wish you the best of luck with him. This reeks of one of Scott's occasional bizarre decisions... we're in luck that he makes amazing loan signings, really. It won us the league last year and now with Szczęsny, Bostock, Balkestein and Murphy all looking good we might stay mid-table. As a tactician I fear he isn't good enough though, and it really pains me to say that seeing as it's only his second full season in the job. I don't want to lose him and hope this season goes just well enough for him to learn more about the game and end up being a successful mid to long-term manager.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    And to be in that position when the club's never been in the league before and it's the gaffer's first job as a manager, I think Burton Albion can be pretty damn chuffed with their performance so far this season, even if their form is all over the place. They were among the favourites for the drop, and they're doing their level best to prove the critics wrong. But they've got a problem; the majority of their wins are coming at home and the majority of their defeats are coming on their travels. If they want to guarantee safety, they need to try and sort out their away form.
    They perhaps could do with a couple wins on the road soon but I do believe they won't be any danger come the end of the season, I still say it will be Darlington and possibly Grimsby who will go down this season.

Darlington are going down.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm surprised Accrington haven't been dragged into it yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    They perhaps could do with a couple wins on the road soon but I do believe they won't be any danger come the end of the season, I still say it will be Darlington and possibly Grimsby who will go down this season.
    I agree, I don't think they're likely to be in any danger...but remember that in the Premiership at this stage last year Hull were round about fifth or sixth, and then they collapsed and barely avoided relegation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I agree, I don't think they're likely to be in any danger...but remember that in the Premiership at this stage last year Hull were round about fifth or sixth, and then they collapsed and barely avoided relegation.
    Yeah it was like one win in twenty games something crazy like that, so yeah you can't take anything for granted really. How many times have we seen even in the football leagues, teams being right up there at this point in the season only to get relegated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Yeah it was like one win in twenty games something crazy like that, so yeah you can't take anything for granted really. How many times have we seen even in the football leagues, teams being right up there at this point in the season only to get relegated.
    Or conversely, with Sunderland - when they were waaay down the table until Roy Keane took over and won them the Championship.

Rock Fan, you essentially just reworded Dali's post there. It was brilliantly done though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    Rock Fan, you essentially just reworded Dali's post there. It was brilliantly done though.
    I'll apologise to her later :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    How do you think you guys will get on Saturday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tricky_Tree)
    How do you think you guys will get on Saturday?
    Not sure. Wasn't confident at all about this game before we played QPR but I'm a bit more so now after the good performance against them, still not expecting much though. I would happily take a draw as Forest seem to have got themselves a decent side this year and have a good manager now (after we did you a favour and got Calderwood sacked last year ). However we are prone to causing an upset every now and again when teams underestimate us. Don't want to predict a score as I always get 'em wrong. What do you reckon?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. Wasn't confident at all about this game before we played QPR but I'm a bit more so now after the good performance against them, still not expecting much though. I would happily take a draw as Forest seem to have got themselves a decent side this year and have a good manager now (after we did you a favour and got Calderwood sacked last year ). However we are prone to causing an upset every now and again when teams underestimate us. Don't want to predict a score as I always get 'em wrong. What do you reckon?
    Yeah I think I speak for the majority of the Forest fans. I think it will be a difficult side, you guys have shown you are no mugs and I expect to finish higher than where you are now. Got Billy Sharp back to his Scunthrope form which is dangerous to every other team around.

Haha I went to that DREADFUL match, it was horrible..so we must erase those memories! Aslong as we approach the game in the right frame of mind and not get complacent I think we'll win..but who knows?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tricky_Tree)
    Glad you beat them! They're so up themselves :yep:
    I know! Their message board went mental after the game, saying they should of won etc, shame their money didn't help them out. That's No££ts for you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The weekend's Football League fixtures

The FA Cup
    Accrington Stanley v Barnet, R2, 15:00
    Bath City v Forest Green, R2, 15:00
    Bournemouth v Notts County, R2, 15:00
    Brentford v Walsall, R2, 15:00
    Brighton v Rushden & D'mnds, R2, 15:00
    Cambridge Utd v York, R2, 15:00
    Carlisle v Norwich, R2, 17:15
    Gillingham v Burton Albion, R2, 15:00
    Hereford v Colchester, R2, 15:00
    MK Dons v Exeter, R2, 15:00
    Northampton v Southampton, R2, 15:00
    Northwich v Lincoln City, R2, 12:30
    Oxford Utd v Barrow, R2, 15:00
    Port Vale v Huddersfield, R2, 15:00
    Rotherham v Luton, R2, 15:00
    Staines Town v Millwall, R2, 13:30
    Stockport v Torquay, R2, 15:00
    Tranmere v Aldershot, R2, 15:00
    Wrexham v Swindon, R2, 15:00

The Coca-Cola Football League Championship
    Bristol City v Sheff Utd, 15:00
    Crystal Palace v Watford, 15:00
    Derby v Reading, 15:00
    Newcastle v Swansea, 15:00
    Nottm Forest v Doncaster, 15:00
    Peterborough v Middlesbrough, 15:00
    Plymouth v Barnsley, 15:00
    QPR v Coventry, 15:00
    Scunthorpe v Leicester, 15:00
    Sheff Wed v West Brom, 15:00
    Coca-Cola Football League Two
    Macclesfield v Grimsby, 15:00

Sunday
    The FA Cup
    Kettering v Leeds United, R2, 13:45

Cardiff v Ipswich, 15:00

Monday, 30 November 2009
    Blackpool v Preston, 20:00

ReputationRep:
    Defeat for us. City are unbeaten at home and no doubt we'll end up with even more injuries after the game.

50/50 for us. Should have won when we played them in the league a fortnight ago, but we're just so awful at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Last time we got relegated from the conference we were 11th in March. We weren't getting battered every week either, we just couldn't turn draws into wins anywhere along the road.

Its all better now though.

Hope Burton do well this year, most of the fans were friendly, not a bad ground, quite new facilities and the bird at the burger bar was hot.

Grimsby seem like they could go down, especially after speaking to some of their fans they dont seem hopeful.

I'd love Macc to go down though, big rivals and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Grimsby deserved to go down last year tbh lol- if it wasn't for Luton's points deduction they wouldn't have had a chance. My money's on them or Lincoln going down with Darlington, unless someone goes into administration halfway through the season.

Pretty happy with Aldershot getting Tranmere for the second round too- on current form I reckon we should edge them ^^ Would be fine with a draw to take back to the EBB though.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.