Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Much that it pains me to say it I have got to take my hat off to the Blades for winning at Hillsbrough in what must have been or at least promised to be a highly charged game where blood and thunder should have counted for more than skill and ability on the ball. Disappointed with our draw at Leicester, but they are well organised and on the crest of a wave with their new manager...Spurs lost there and so did Sheff U? We haven't given up second but it'll be very very difficult now. Ah well - maybe we're destined for playoff heartbreak.

Well done to Plymouth, looks like you'll be staying up now - great win although more long journeys for the Championship fans.

Watford play the long ball away from home. And maybe this isn't the thread for it, but I would like to defend the Bolton way, there will always be teams that entertain, but the purist loves differing tactics and Sam's done marvellously well (obviously, or he wouldn't be being touted for the England job), so however you wish to play, it's winning that counts and if Bolton tried to carve out perfect goals they wouldn't be where they are now (with the style and quality of player they have).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    Much that it pains me to say it I have got to take my hat off to the Blades for winning at Hillsbrough in what must have been or at least promised to be a highly charged game where blood and thunder should have counted for more than skill and ability on the ball. Disappointed with our draw at Leicester, but they are well organised and on the crest of a wave with their new manager...Spurs lost there and so did Sheff U? We haven't given up second but it'll be very very difficult now. Ah well - maybe we're destined for playoff heartbreak.

Well done to Plymouth, looks like you'll be staying up now - great win although more long journey's for the Championship fans.

Watford play the long ball away from home. And maybe this isn't the thread for it, but I would like to defend the Bolton way, there will always be teams that entertain, but the purist loves differing tactics and Sam's done marvellously well (obviously, or he wouldn't be being touted for the England job), so however you wish to play, it's winning that counts and if Bolton tried to carve out perfect goals they wouldn't be where they are now (with the style and quality of player they have).
    You're right, we lost at Leicester. Remember it well!

You were playing 10 men so should have beat Leicester. Our recent luck is less good....conceded 3 harsh penalties in last 5 games but only 1 was scored thankfully. Don't think we've had a penalty since August. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't talk about play off heartbreak...you're gonna curse Leeds!

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately we're cursed anyway.

Regarding penalties, we've had loads. Thinking back i reckon we've had 10 this season (scored 9) (BRI, WAT, PLY IPS, LEI, SOT, MIL, IPS (again), and BUR) + 1 in the cup against Wigan and the shoot out itself. Long may it continue. Any championship side had more penalties? Or any side in the country for that matter?

ReputationRep:
    I bet Palace aren't far behind!!!

I've just been informed that you've had 9 or 10 pens this season, Reading and Derby have had 8 each. Not sure about other divisions.

Blades had 3 and 2 were in the first game of the season. Hmm.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Our defensive midfielder Wotton, has scored about 9 goals this season, the only reason he's in the team. He takes all the pens, so we must have had about 6. Andy Johnson wins a penalty every week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne Auraque)
    Our defensive midfielder Wotton, has scored about 9 goals this season, the only reason he's in the team. He takes all the pens, so we must have had about 6. Andy Johnson wins a penalty every week!
    Yep, would like to know how many of the Palace or Leeds penalties were actually 100% definite penalties!

Out of our 3, 2 were definite pens and the other a dodgy one so out of 9 or 10 Leeds ones I dare say some weren't definite. Some teams have more luck than other I guess.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    Mind you, who needs penalties? You have 12 strikers according to Skysports! More strikers than a mining union 'n all...

ReputationRep:
    That aint quite true!

Webber and Deane are injured, Forte and Beckett are out on loan.

Makes the following able to play:

Akinbiyi
    Kabba
    Shipperley
    Dyer
    Horsefield

Gem

ReputationRep:
    All our penalties were stonewall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    All our penalties were stonewall.
    And I've just seen a pig flying over head...presume it is on its way to Hillsborough!

Gem

ReputationRep:
    And I've just seen a pig flying over head...presume it is on its way to Hillsborough!
    How odd, a pig, flying? Speaking of flying picture Healy flying into the penalty box to meet Lewis' pinpoint cross and fire past poor ole Paddy Kenny? That's me just wondering how I'd like us to score our 4th goal at BL in April

ReputationRep:
    ^ You can win 9-0 and Healy can get all 9 for all I care as it won't matter.

Gem
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Swansea vs Huddersfield right now on Sky Sports 2

ReputationRep:
    Ok I think I am going to have to start thinking maybe Brighton WON'T stay up.

1-0 up against Crewe ended up losing 2-1...a win there could have given us a chance but if we can't beat teams fighting to stay up like us and can't beat..well anyone, I think we are going to have serious problems staying up.

ReputationRep:
    We were very poor today but gotta give credit to QPR. Played very well, had nothing to lose and went for it. Our defence was a shambles and the normal February slump goes on!
    Great game though.

Reading will do us a few favours though when they play Leeds and Watford. Not too worried as we never ever make it easy. Always got to do it the hard way.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    I bet Palace aren't far behind!!!

I've just been informed that you've had 9 or 10 pens this season, Reading and Derby have had 8 each. Not sure about other divisions.

Blades had 3 and 2 were in the first game of the season. Hmm.

Gem
    :rolleyes:

In fact we've had 4 or 5... the first coming around Christmas and Johnson has only won 2 or 3 of those.

AJ has been victimised because of Steve Bruce's petulance last season and a good number of stone wall penalties have been denied us. Johnson never dives, at most he isn't averse to making the most of a challenge, but I can categorically state he has never gone down without contact... unlike a certain Steve Kabba did at Selhurst earlier this season

Get your facts right:cool:

P.S. Palace were fantastic today, we've been close to dire all season and grinding out results, but we slaughtered Norwich and I'm looking forward to playing Leeds next week now...

ReputationRep:
    La La La Leeds. As for Brighton, the only team you seem to be able to beat is us. O well, thankfully we won't be playing you again, and you can freeze the League 1 fans in your "stadium". When we play Sheff Utd it won't be over yet, I hope. I'm delighted with QPR, but what on earth were Cardiff playing at giving Marlon King the ball in the last minute, and then missing a sitter themselves. Well, I suppose I'll be glad if Cardiff aren't in the play offs.

As for Palace next week, I have to predict a home win Really we weren't very good against Luton and they sort of deserved a point, and a penalty. But, we are the only side to have gotten anything from the Madjeski (except Plymouth on the first day), and we went to Watford and drew, so away from home we're not too bad. Give me a point and a late Crewe winner at BL - I'll be happy

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield United set to miss out again? I hope so, because we're pants against Leeds.

As for Brighton, I feel sorry for them because of the stadium debacle. They have potential for larger crowds, but that "stadium" must put a lot of their fans off going. It will save a crappy match experience I suppose, but I hope they aren't replaced in this league by a club with a bigger budget.

ReputationRep:
    Only if Watford had not lost to Leeds and got players sent off int he game, Sheffield Utd would seriously be under threat now.

I remember a prediction I made 4 weeks back - - -

(Original post by walshie)
    Do you know I actually fancy Watford for promotion? How bizarre is that!
    They're always underestimated.

Still think Sheff Utd will hold on along with Reading, but Watford in playoff. They just seem to be left alone to get along with it.
    I also predicted that 'crappy' Watford side will finish above Leeds around the same time. I do think that will happen as well.

Anyway, besides from the league, who do you think will will the FA Trophy??

We have:
    - Exeter
    - Borehamwood

And either:
    - Grays / Dagenham & Redbridge
    - Woking / Stafford Rangers

I think it will be Exeter winning against Borehamwood. Don't know why, but just have a feeling.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well Wednesday are in deep trouble after their awful performance against Southampton i expected more fight from them but they seem to just surrender.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.