The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5640
Our game was pretty entertaining, and a draw was a fair result. Can't be arsed with a replay though.
Ah you wouldn't want to go to Wolves to be honest, horrible ground.
What a crazy match last night between Plymouth and Huddersfield, Plymouth went down to 9 men after going 2-0 up, lost 3-2 but Huddersfield failed to score any goals the whole time Plymouth had 9 men. Some fans are even calling for Lee Clark's head.
Reply 5643
At last, a quality centre back! We've signed Matt Kilgallon on loan for the season. I'm very happy with that, and maybe we can stop leaking goals now.
Kilgallon is a good centre back he will do well for Doncaster. Just seen Crystal Palace get turned over by Swansea.
Excellent, McCartney back on loan. Means our back four is as it was during the unbeaten run and actually looked vaguely solid, McCaryney, O'Brien, Bruce, Connolly. Excellent.

Hopefully we can turn Scunny over today - it's a game we should win, though I'm quite mindful of their away form. We need it to try to kickstart another run after 3 draws and a loss in our last 4 games.

We do have a shortage of central midfielders, especially with Kilkenny away. Hopefully Nunez will get a chance when he comes back, he's extended his deal till the end of the season and has looked decent for Honduras and when he's played for us. We do need a more defensively minded midfielder, especially if Bradley (Johnson) is off.
Just back from the MK Dons match - great performance and comfortable win. :smile:
Bury need to stop sliding down the table.
Only a point against poor opposition.
God knows how we can turn this around!?
Original post by DJB_1990
At last, a quality centre back! We've signed Matt Kilgallon on loan for the season. I'm very happy with that, and maybe we can stop leaking goals now.

:wink:
Reply 5649
:facepalm:

I can take defeat but in that manner it's difficult not to be overly critical. No effort, no ideas and not even any meaningful shots on target at home! Not the signs of a team who are supposedly playoff contenders. Who plays 5 at the back and 3 in midfield at home to a similar placed team anyway? It was a disaster waiting to happen, especially with three of the least combative midfielders ever who got easily overrun all game.

Kilgallon was probably the best player for us but even he couldn't help the planks he was playing alongside. Reading worked hard to close down our non-existant midfield and caused a few problems with their pace. They never had to get out of second gear in all honesty and took all three chances that were pretty much gifted to them. The second goal was awful goalkeeping and the third was comical, even the first was bad defending, playing the division's in-form striker onside for an easy one-on-one. Fair play to them for putting their chances away and we can't have any complaints about the result. Other than the goals though nothing else of interest really happened. The home support at the Keepquiet never had anything to get excited about whatsoever.

Tactical failing by SO'D today, should have at least 4 in midfield at home to similar opposition where the midfield battle is crucial. He did change it in the second half where we looked better but it was too late. Very disappointing performance overall and I have to think a long way back to remember a worse one at home.

Interestingly though our league record against Reading now stands at W4, D8, L 26. We never beat them!
(edited 13 years ago)
Horror first half for Sheffield Wednesday against Charlton, but a much better second half, it was Chris Powell's first match in charge of Charlton.
Football League fixtures this weekend.

Npower Championship
Derby v Nott'm Forest, 13:00
Barnsley v Swansea, 15:00
Cardiff v Watford, 15:00
Crystal Palace v Bristol City, 15:00
Ipswich v Doncaster, 15:00
Leicester v Millwall, 15:00
Middlesbrough v Preston, 15:00
Portsmouth v Leeds, 15:00
Reading v Hull, 15:00
Sheff Utd v Norwich, 15:00
Scunthorpe v Burnley, 17:20 (Live on Sky Sports)

Npower League One
Bournemouth v Brighton, 15:00
Bristol Rovers v Swindon, 15:00
Charlton v Plymouth, 15:00
Dag & Red v MK Dons, 15:00
Exeter v Walsall, 15:00
Huddersfield v Colchester, 15:00
Leyton Orient v Sheff Wed, 15:00
Notts County v Carlisle, 15:00
Oldham v Brentford, 15:00
Peterborough v Hartlepool, 15:00
Tranmere v Southampton, 15:00
Yeovil v Rochdale, 15:00

Npower League Two
Accrington Stanley v Hereford, 15:00
Aldershot v Crewe, 15:00
Bradford v Burton Albion, 15:00
Macclesfield v Barnet, 15:00
Northampton v Oxford Utd, 15:00
Port Vale v Cheltenham, 15:00
Shrewsbury v Chesterfield, 15:00
Stevenage v Morecambe, 15:00
Stockport v Lincoln City, 15:00
Torquay v Gillingham, 15:00
Wycombe v Rotherham, 15:00

Pick of the games has got to be Nottingham Forest and Derby
Original post by Rock Fan
Pick of the games has got to be Nottingham Forest and Derby

Depends who you support.

For me, it's Portsmouth vs Leeds; followed by Cardiff vs Watford, and then the others involving the top 8-9 promotion candidates.
Reply 5653
Leicester Millwall should be a good clash. Millwall on a run and City unbeaten at home under Sven
Original post by DJB_1990
:facepalm:

I can take defeat but in that manner it's difficult not to be overly critical. No effort, no ideas and not even any meaningful shots on target at home! Not the signs of a team who are supposedly playoff contenders. Who plays 5 at the back and 3 in midfield at home to a similar placed team anyway? It was a disaster waiting to happen, especially with three of the least combative midfielders ever who got easily overrun all game.

Kilgallon was probably the best player for us but even he couldn't help the planks he was playing alongside. Reading worked hard to close down our non-existant midfield and caused a few problems with their pace. They never had to get out of second gear in all honesty and took all three chances that were pretty much gifted to them. The second goal was awful goalkeeping and the third was comical, even the first was bad defending, playing the division's in-form striker onside for an easy one-on-one. Fair play to them for putting their chances away and we can't have any complaints about the result. Other than the goals though nothing else of interest really happened. The home support at the Keepquiet never had anything to get excited about whatsoever.

Tactical failing by SO'D today, should have at least 4 in midfield at home to similar opposition where the midfield battle is crucial. He did change it in the second half where we looked better but it was too late. Very disappointing performance overall and I have to think a long way back to remember a worse one at home.

Interestingly though our league record against Reading now stands at W4, D8, L 26. We never beat them!

By all accounts you should have had a penalty though - people here are pretty adamant we were lucky; look like that from your end?
You never know what that might have done to the game.....

The return of Harper with Hull to the Madejski today; I miss that dude.
How are we not dominating? 1 man up against the team second from bottom and still doesn't look like we're going to win away from home. :frown:
Original post by alex_hk90
How are we not dominating? 1 man up against the team second from bottom and still doesn't look like we're going to win away from home. :frown:

Spoke too soon - injury time winner by Carrington off the bench! :woo: :biggrin: Our first attempt on target all day.
Once again we made it difficult for ourselves. 3-0 up, and we could have easily lost 4-3. Oh well, I'll take 4-2 in the end. Although we should have had a penalty in the second half (blatant handball by the Watford player, right infront of where I was sitting).
Handful of fixtures happening tonight, including a South Yorkshire derby.

Npower Championship
Doncaster v Barnsley, 19:45
Nott'm Forest v Bristol City, 19:45
Portsmouth v Burnley, 19:45

Npower League One
Brighton v Colchester, 19:45
Hartlepool v Notts County, 19:45
Leyton Orient v MK Dons, 19:45
Sheff Wed v Yeovil, 19:45
Swindon v Tranmere, 19:45
Walsall v Oldham, 19:45

Npower League Two
Cheltenham v Lincoln City, 19:45
Crewe v Bradford, 19:45
Gillingham v Chesterfield, 19:45
Hereford v Morecambe, 19:45
Oxford Utd v Shrewsbury, 19:45
Port Vale v Barnet, 19:45
Southend v Macclesfield, 19:45
Stevenage v Rotherham, 19:45
(edited 13 years ago)
Things are moving along well, another good win again tonight. Hope we manage to bring in another player before the window closes.

Latest