Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Think it's the only hope for the rest of the chasing pack.
    Yep although teams shouldn't be worrying about anyone else but themselves. Come on you Blades!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Stevenage fan we've just lost our manager Graham Westley, assistant manager John Dreyer, and first-team coach Dino Maamria to Preston North End. In Westley's first spell with us he took from Conference relegation fodder to the best team in the league (but who couldn't quite get promoted), and in his second spell has taken us from upper-mid-table Conference to fighting for promotion in League One in just three years. So all-in-all I have to say thankyou for everything those three have done for us.

It has been handled badly though and will forever sour some of our memories of him. The first offer that comes along and he's left us high and dry with our staff missing. We're not a wealthy club so we've only got a small staff roster anyway but now we don't have a single coach, our physio has been coaching the training sessions and tomorrow we visit Rochdale with defender Mark Roberts as our caretaker manager.

It's all a bit of a mess, the heads of everyone involved with the club has been elsewhere all week and so I can see us getting battered tomorrow, and honestly, with our small budget it will be almost impossible to find someone as good as Westley and on a similar wage so I'm starting to worry the dream may be over. The early favourite for the job is Paul Buckle who's just been sacked at Bristol Rovers a division lower for doing a bad job, so, not confident there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introvert2020)
    I'm a Stevenage fan we've just lost our manager Graham Westley, assistant manager John Dreyer, and first-team coach Dino Maamria to Preston North End. In Westley's first spell with us he took from Conference relegation fodder to the best team in the league (but who couldn't quite get promoted), and in his second spell has taken us from upper-mid-table Conference to fighting for promotion in League One in just three years. So all-in-all I have to say thankyou for everything those three have done for us.

It has been handled badly though and will forever sour some of our memories of him. The first offer that comes along and he's left us high and dry with our staff missing. We're not a wealthy club so we've only got a small staff roster anyway but now we don't have a single coach, our physio has been coaching the training sessions and tomorrow we visit Rochdale with defender Mark Roberts as our caretaker manager.

It's all a bit of a mess, the heads of everyone involved with the club has been elsewhere all week and so I can see us getting battered tomorrow, and honestly, with our small budget it will be almost impossible to find someone as good as Westley and on a similar wage so I'm starting to worry the dream may be over. The early favourite for the job is Paul Buckle who's just been sacked at Bristol Rovers a division lower for doing a bad job, so, not confident there.
    I feel for teams that lose their manager/staff when a "bigger" club comes to steal them away. Not nice. But, part of football sadly. I hope Preston have a terrible second half to the season!

Good luck for the rest of the season, minus April 28th (unless we already have an automatic spot wrapped up ) and keep positive. Hopefully, whoever gets the job will do a good un.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am surprised he left Stevenage, I mean you look where they are and where Preston are.

ReputationRep:
    Come on Blades!

Great following of fans going to Bury today. We sold out an allocation of 2900 tickets so Bury sent 50 extra tickets and these last 50 sold out in 5 minutes. Bury decided to open another stand for our fans to pay on the day and this stand holds 2200 fans. So, could be around 4000 fans there...and on 3 sides of the ground. Doesn't happen for an away game very often.
    Just hope they are rewarded with a good performance and 3 points.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    MK game postponed due to frozen pitch. Why are we expanding the stadium before paying for the under-soil heating? :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ok then, BBC is reporting Leon Crncic starting for Leicester today, Never mind that we released him at the start of the season, and no-one ever saw him play...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...1/16453196.stm

Leicester
    01 Schmeichel
    02 Peltier
    03 Konchesky
    05 Mills
    10 King
    11 Dyer
    19 Wellens
    23 Danns
    07 Gallagher
    33 Leon Crncic
    35 Nugent

ReputationRep:
    Milwall fans showing themselves up. The players showing themselves up equally.
    But Birmingham climbing the table, go on you blue machine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipswichblade)
    I feel for teams that lose their manager/staff when a "bigger" club comes to steal them away. Not nice. But, part of football sadly. I hope Preston have a terrible second half to the season!

Good luck for the rest of the season, minus April 28th (unless we already have an automatic spot wrapped up ) and keep positive. Hopefully, whoever gets the job will do a good un.
    Indeed, it's sad but it happens at this level I guess. I just hope that we get in a good replacement; other names being mooted for the job are Paul Ince (unlikely), Martin Keown (for some reason) and Gary Smith, formerly assistant manager at Watford who has recently left Colorado Rapids, who he actually led to victory in Major League Soccer, so that'd be a risk but I'd be quite excited about him, after all, bringing Westley back in the first place was a big risk and it's fair to say it's paid off!

Thanks very much though, good luck to you too! We've hosted both Sheffield clubs this season (and won both with an aggregate of 7-2 ) and I've found both sets of fans to be among the best we've met on our journey in the Football League. Some clubs are very bitter towards our success I've found, but not so from the Sheffield clubs, so I have a soft-spot for both now!

I am surprised he left Stevenage, I mean you look where they are and where Preston are.
    That is true but Preston also have a lot more money than us so Westley could get much higher wages and has more room to maneuver in signing good players. I didn't think he'd take it either initially, I thought he'd hold on until a Championship club was sniffing around, but alas, money talks I suppose.

And another note, I said we'd be battered today and it is 5-1. But to Stevenage! Never expected this a million years. The game isn't over yet but, either way I'm very proud of their performance today.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe that we did not win that game. We missed some fantastic chances.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What a load of utter garbage. If it weren't for Schmeichel I can say with out a doubt we'd be battling relegation this season.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like Sharp will be staying unless a Premier team comes in for him. Mint.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Can't say I blame him - on current performances he's probably better of with you than coming to Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJB_1990)
    It looks like Sharp will be staying unless a Premier team comes in for him. Mint.
    Top man! Without him you guys have no hope so I want him to be with you still come feb.

ReputationRep:
    Boring performance again today. Can't blame david noble for it either which is unusual. We seriously need some strikers. Rory Donnelly would be mint. Swansea have just signed him from Cliftonville but won't be playing him any time soon, so give us a lend, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introvert2020)
    Indeed, it's sad but it happens at this level I guess. I just hope that we get in a good replacement; other names being mooted for the job are Paul Ince (unlikely), Martin Keown (for some reason) and Gary Smith, formerly assistant manager at Watford who has recently left Colorado Rapids, who he actually led to victory in Major League Soccer, so that'd be a risk but I'd be quite excited about him, after all, bringing Westley back in the first place was a big risk and it's fair to say it's paid off!

Thanks very much though, good luck to you too! We've hosted both Sheffield clubs this season (and won both with an aggregate of 7-2 ) and I've found both sets of fans to be among the best we've met on our journey in the Football League. Some clubs are very bitter towards our success I've found, but not so from the Sheffield clubs, so I have a soft-spot for both now!
    Just make sure the soft spot for the Blades is bigger than the one for the Owls.

I am told (I have only been to 2 home games and 2 away games this season) that you were the best team we have played away from home this season with only Charlton and Huddersfield being better when we played them both at home early on.
    I presume you will be getting on with the interview process ASAP to get someone appointed straight away. Good luck.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sr90)
    Laughable how that game was postponed, especially at a ground like MK. I think Pete Winkleman has handled the situation really well though, personal apology on the radio and talk of putting on a coach for the Carlisle fans. Not many chairmen out there who would do all that.
    Yeah, it's quite embarrassing to have a frozen pitch at such a new stadium - what makes it worse is that I heard we actually have under-soil heating but it's not finished/switched on because it's too expensive to run.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh my lord Wednesday blew it, think play offs beckon for them.

ReputationRep:
    Any league 2 fans here? Great result for southend yesterday, top of the league!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my lord Wednesday blew it, think play offs beckon for them.
    Bit early to be saying that surely. Wednesday win their game in hand (Scunny away, not the hardest places to go if Wednesday play well) and they are only 1 point behind us! Could go all the way this season! :eek:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.